Upper Shock mount replaced!

poppopmadman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I added a chrome moly bar with rod ends from Matt at Bears Performance on my truck.

Replaced the shock that mounts to top of rear to body.
Since we do not have a pinion snubber and the upper shock is so so.

He patent it now - its called the ram rod!

I said what the heck let me try it.

Feels great so far no issues and I have the lowering kit on it also!

I am dying to hit the track!
The Caltrac's will be here end of next week,
MMMMM maybe its now a 3 link system!!!!!

Last edited:
poppopmadman said:
I added a chrome moly bar with rod ends from Matt at Bears Performance on my truck.

Replaced the shock that mounts to top of rear to body.
Since we do not have a pinion snubber and the upper shock is so so.

He patent it now - its called the ram rod!

I said what the heck let me try it.

Feels great so far no issues and I have the lowering kit on it also!

I am dying to hit the track!
The Caltrac's will be here end of next week,
MMMMM maybe its now a 3 link system!!!!!

If you want a bar let Matt know www.bearsperformance.com (336) 333-9889

I couldn't find it on their site. :dontknow: :confused:

:dontknow: I'm confused here because none of the shocks front, rear, or the pinion shock mount to the body. They all bolt to the Frame at the upper positions.

I will get photo and info - this is new so it wont be up there yet.
it helps keep the pinion angle on rear.
I just called Matt and I will be meeting him there at shop tomorrow to get options for link setup.
Photos for the Gang!

I have specs and info and price plus pics of the 2 different types of Ram Rod -Will post as soon as I get Home on new thread!

I have pics now! Looks Like Reg cabs only at this time...replaces upper shock.

This is the one I am using;

Street - 1"x.156" wall mild steel threaded tube, 3/4x1/2" FK Chromemoly Am Righthand Rod End, 3/4x1/2" FK Chromemoly AM Lefthand Rod End, R and L hand Jam nut

I will try this one also;
Race - 1 1/4"x.083 Chromemoly tube, same but using weld in tube adapters

I am talking to outnumbered about driveshaft loops and suspension setups.

I tried it out and it works great with the 4 degree shims - I have not put the clatracs on yet and it hooks real nice....

Attachments

• RamRod 008.jpg
    RamRod 008.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 59
  • RamRod 003.jpg
    RamRod 003.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 73
  • RamRod 004.jpg
    RamRod 004.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
So I wonder how long it will be before that break the aluminum diff cover off?

You really have to be careful when trying to bolt solid links to a leaf sprung suspension. Generally the 2 will try and fight each other during suspension travel. When the suspension is compressed the axle actually move back making your wheel base longer. The solid links do not folow the same pivot points as the springs and want to move back at a different rate or worse depening on their angle actually want to pull the axle forward.

This is why solid link style suspension are pretty much always done with coil springs. Coils springs can flex forward and back where ever the links want them to go with no problems or binding.

How about the best of both worlds and install an adjustable coil over shock where the current axle damper shock is now ? :dontknow:

I was thinking the same for the axle cover but no issues - the rear travel is not much since I lowered it also.

I have not had issues yet with binding, With the Caltracs will be the key!
I am looking at adjustable coil overs!
Removing the shocks and adding the coil over shock mounts.

I am going to race it soon to see if these changes helped. On the street - it is working together with leaf springs.

mmmmtorque said:
How about the best of both worlds and install an adjustable coil over shock where the current axle damper shock is now ? :dontknow:

I was thinking the same thing Charles. Not sure if I like the solid top now with the leaf suspension like mudder was talking about. I guess the test will be the track and some serious traction trials.

Stretch

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back