New Mobil 1 oil

FerrariTruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stop using mobil early on due to the motor in the truck sounding a lil noisy.

I swithced to castrol motorsport 10-60w (used in all the BMW M motors) and

that really made the motor quiet down a bit. But do to the price of it at

around $9 bucks a liter i had to find an alternative..

So i did some looking around on mobil website I found this 15 50 blend. What

really caught my eye is the zinc level in this oil is around 1200-1300 ppm

which is almost unheard of these days. So i shot down to walmart after

looking it at all the chain autostores and to my luck they had a case of it

left:rock: its $22 for 5quart container

I will be running mobil 1 again, check the link for yourself.

its even recommened for engines during the break in period(i.e. zinc level)

as well as for supercharged or turbo charged motors. i'm sold

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_15W-50_.aspx

Mobil 1 15W-50 exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline engines where an API certified oil is specified. It meets:

API SM/SL

Requirements for Diesel Powered Vehicles where an API CF or API CD is recommended

Provides extra anti-wear additive for older vehicles

Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated with SuperSyn, an extra-high viscosity synthetic fluid, plus extra anti-wear additive to provide extra protection for severe service applications such as towing, hauling and racing. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for high performance vehicles including turbocharged and supercharged engines where a thicker oil film is desired.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for newer generation vehicles. Mobil 1 15W-50 will also provide better anti-wear protection for higher valve spring tensions in certain racing engines.

For more information, see the Mobil 1 15W-50 Product Data Sheet and Material Safety Data Sheet.

Product Description

Mobil 1 15W-50 is the most advanced performance synthetic engine oil designed to provide the cleaning power, wear protection and performance reserve to keep engines running smooth and clean.

Features and Benefits

Mobil 1 15W-50 is formulated with SuperSyn, an extra high-viscosity synthetic fluid, plus extra anti-wear additive to provide extra protection for severe service applications. Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for high performance vehicles including turbocharged and supercharged engines where a thicker oil film is desired. Mobil 1 15W-50 is also recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required for newer generation vehicles. Mobil 1 15W-50 will also provide better anti-wear protection for higher valve spring tensions in certain racing engines.

Key features and benefits include:

Features
Advantages and Potential Benefits
Fully synthetic formula with SuperSyn Technology Helps prevent deposits and sludge build-up to enable long engine life Excellent overall lubrication and wear protection performance for all driving styles
Outstanding thermal and oxidation stability Outstanding performance during the maximum oil change interval recommended in a vehicle’s owners manual
Extra anti-wear additive Extra protection for severe service

Applications

Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for all types of modern vehicles, including high-performance turbo-charged, supercharged gasoline and diesel multi-valve fuel injected engines found in passenger cars, SUVs, light vans and trucks.

Mobil 1 15W-50 is recommended for older valve train designs that may benefit from a higher level of anti-wear normally not required in newer generation vehicles
Mobil 1 15W-50 is not recommended for 2-Cycle or aviation engines, unless specifically approved by the manufacturer.

Specifications and Approvals

Mobil 1 15W-50 meets or exceeds the following industry specifications:

API SM,SL,SJ,EC,CF

Typical Properties

Mobil 1 15W-50

SAE Grade 15W-50
Viscosity, ASTM D 445
cSt @ 40º C 131.2
cSt @ 100º C 18.1
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270 154
Sulfated Ash, wt%, ASTM D 874 1.21
HTHS Viscosity, mPa•s @ 150ºC ASTM D 4683 4.50
Pour Point, ºC, ASTM D 97 -39
Flash Point, ºC, ASTM D 92 235
Density @15º C kg/l, ASTM D 4052 0.87

Last edited:
For a cheap way to get as much ZDDP (or more), just use a diesel oil. Shell Rotella-T is the cheapest synthetic I've seen, around $19/gallon at Walmart. I ran it in my Viper and will be putting it in the truck soon.

Vman455 said:
For a cheap way to get as much ZDDP (or more), just use a diesel oil. Shell Rotella-T is the cheapest synthetic I've seen, around $19/gallon at Walmart. I ran it in my Viper and will be putting it in the truck soon.

Recently a member over on another forum submitted some of the roetella oil in for a testing and found the oil only has 600ppm zinc content in it...They changed the formula within the last 2 years..

i also put the mobil 1 15/50 in last week,didn't think it was new though.

I'm using the Joe Gibbs racing oil,but you can't run it with cats.My engine builder has guys running the mobil1 and AmsOil and the were replacing cams every season,they switch to the Joe Gibbs racing oil and got the last 2 seasons out of the same cam and still going.

http://www.joegibbsracingoil.com/

I ran it in my truck for almost 18K and when the engine got pulled apart,there was very minamal wear,I'm just going a different route on my builders advise.

Last edited:
Yellow venom said:
I ran it in my truck for almost 18K and when the engine got pulled apart,there was very minamal wear,I'm just going a different route on my builders advise.
which is ?? :dontknow:

mobil 1 15/50, is everyone experiencing a quieter running motor because of it ?

:)

Last edited:
So what weight is the advised one from dodge 0w 40 mobil 1??

hcetzneb said:
So what weight is the advised one from dodge 0w 40 mobil 1??

0w40 (10w30 if an 04) is what Dodge recommends mainly for emissions and fuel mileage...15w50 should quiet the engine some...I use 20w50 Royal Purple..might give the Mobil 15w50 a try...

Last edited:
I got me 4 bottles (4 o5 5 qt, don't remember) at Walmart when I bought my truck in '07, never used it... it should be more a Summer oil I think

I used the 15W40 Mobil 1 as well for the longest time. Only because the local store didnt have the 0W40. I too will be switching to Joe Gibbs oil from now on as Yellow Venom posted earlier.

moparracing said:
which is ?? :dontknow:

mobil 1 15/50, is everyone experiencing a quieter running motor because of it ?

:)

From my understanding is that there is alot off stuff taken out of oils to meet emissions,I can't remember exaclty what it is but its important to reduce wear,he metioned to use one of two oils Joe Gibbs racing oil and there was another brand called "Hot Rod" oil,those were the two that he highly recomended,he has experienced that the cams were lasting alot longer on the same builds with just switching oils,I told him that I used the 0W40 Mobil 1 and thats when he told me about this guy that was running Mobil1 and switched to the Joe Gibbs oil was changing cams out every season and the one in his engine now just finished its second season with the Joe Gibbs oil, and whatever stuff thats in the Joe Gibbs oil will plug up cats is why you can't run cats with it. Just some info I found out.

Food for thought, courtesy of an ex-Texaco formulator and Viper owner:

http://forums.viperclub.org/srt10-srt10-coupe-discussions/624993-mobile-1-royal-purple-2.html (post #38)

http://forums.viperclub.org/rt-10-gts-discussions/625047-so-what-does-everyone-seem-using.html (post #23)

http://forums.viperclub.org/general-viper-discussion/624690-will-5w-30-hurt-my-engine.html

There's a wealth of information over there. The switch to 0W-40 from 10W-30 was not for better emissions and fuel mileage--the thinner 30 weight oil would yield slightly better economy, and the higher ZDDP content in the European-spec 0W-40 could harm the catalytic converters long-term. The reason for the switch was more likely increased engine protection and more anti-wear additives (read: zinc diethyldithiophosphate, or ZDDP).

Based on the above and this (http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf), I would guess that 0W-40 is good, 15W-50 probably better, but ultimately we're splitting hairs here.

15/50 has been around for years. I used to manage autozone so i remember stocking it.

Ive used it, it does quiet things down, i never noticed any increase in oil pressure, but it did use a quart less between changes and the oil looked better when it was drained.

:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back