Viper Master/Slave Install Issues

jsandlin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally was able to get my truck over to the shop and have the install done. The owner of the shop actually let me get in there and give him a hand with the install. A bit of history though.....about 5 months ago I had a local shop in Houston put in a Southbend clutch for me and a new OEM Flywheel. A month or so later I found it getting more and more difficult to shift at high RPMs. Eventually i was not able to get in gear at all and parked it (luckly i was at a family members when it broke but still 300 miles from home). This past week the viper master/slave install was finally completed after 2 months of my truck being down and here are pictures of what i found.

Click for larger Picture

After all was installed I drove for awhile and noticed a studder coming from my engine. My check engine light was on so I stopped by a parts store to check the OBD code. It had a code of P0303 and P0306 which is missfiring in the number 3 and number 6 cylinder. I pulled the plugs and found this on the number 6 cylinder. i recently changed all my plugs too :dontknow:

I gapped the plug with a screwdriver to get me going and the engine light went off. Just wondering how this could have happened :dontknow:

one you need a new bellhousing

two, you need to check your pistons somehting closed the gap and thats ususally a tell tell sign of bad damage

In my mind there are only two ways that gaps get narrow...they are put in that way or something has hit the electrode...

I would do oil analysis at a minimum...have you scoped the pistons? Was there any dust like accumulation on the plugs?

A leak down test may also be in order...your truck has had some pretty hard use. Doesn't mean that there is anything major wrong with the engine...but with all of your discoveries...it might be time to do some pretty close inspecting.

But I would bet that you have some ring land issues...like many of us have had.

Last edited:
i was tye first one to respond and it got deleted you have a broken ring or ring land and the motor is shot and needs rebuilding ....dont waste your time having your oil analized savt that money for a rebuild!!!!!

I hope that Stinker, Dom and I are wrong...but this is probably what you will find when you pull the engine down:

Picture006-1-1.jpg

And by the way...don't drive it...until you find out for sure...you could be very close to putting a window in the block...and it will be in the #3 hole most probably...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back