Oil additive question

lthlvnm04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is probably a stupid question but when adding an oil additive such as Lucas one quart of that replaces one quart of oil correct?
Thanks,
Eric

We have been told by some sharp engine builders NOT to use any oil additives. These engines don't react very well to it.

in my experience, oil additives <slick 50?> I've tried always (well only twice but I only tried it twice) led to spun rod bearings. It's poooooooooosible I would have done eventually spun them anyway, but just sayin...

Well shit, guess I won't be using additives ever again lol. Hopefully it doesn't hurt her.

Dosent slick 50 guarentee to replace your motor ????
I used it at ever oil change in my old chevy truck and the slick50 trans additive ---never had any problems that I new of ---but since I have been on here and owned my 10 --I will not use any addatives.... This site chased me away from them lol...

I'm not sure what the slick 50 guarantee is, but this happened to me back in the early 90's so it may be too late to ask them.

There are a lot of products that are snake oil.

There are some others that do a lot of good.

I use Lucas fuel additive with an improvement in the way my diesel Duramax runs and sounds. I have no valve knock under light throttle if I use the Lucas fuel addative.
I ocasionally use it in my gassers also as it lubricates the pintles of the injectors.

I use a zinc based oil addative in all my motors that I do not use racing oil in.
Due to government mandate the zinc and phosphorus was taken out of motor oil a couple of years ago. The zinc and phosphorus dramatically lowers wear on engine parts.
Engines with solid or hydraulic flat tappet camshafts have a problem with galling on the lifter base and the camshaft going "flat". This is due to the elimination of the zinc from the oil. The zinc acts as a lubricant.
Almost all modern motors use roller lifters so this is not a problem for most late model cars. The reason for the elimination was the zinc, is supposed to shorten the life of converters.
Anything we can do to make oil slicker without eliminating the cling factor will make engine parts last longer.
Diesel oil has not had as much zinc removed as passenger car oils but it is still very low on the addative.

Not all addatives are snake oil, but there are many that are just a waste of money and time to use.

The Lucas line of addatives seem to work as advertised. I will continue to use them as I feel they really work and do what I am paying for.

In my opinion Slick 50 is one of the snake oil products.

Where can i find this Zinc additive? Is there a downside to using it in our trucks?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back