Truck might need a motor!

tarheelguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i dropped the truck off at the dealer friday. it started making a loud squeaking noise at idle like a belt squeal. well i popped the hood and found the crank pulley working its way loose, to the point of wobbling on the motor. belt is chewed to bits, about 1/4 as wide as it supposed to be. talked to dodge this morning. they ordered a crank pulley and belt and they are gonna hope that the crankshaft isn't messed up from the wobble, if so i will need a motor. i don't find out anything till wed. at the earliest, i'll keep yall posted. truck has less than 9K miles by the way, 04RC. :mad:

tarheelguy said:
well i dropped the truck off at the dealer friday. it started making a loud squeaking noise at idle like a belt squeal. well i popped the hood and found the crank pulley working its way loose, to the point of wobbling on the motor. belt is chewed to bits, about 1/4 as wide as it supposed to be. talked to dodge this morning. they ordered a crank pulley and belt and they are gonna hope that the crankshaft isn't messed up from the wobble, if so i will need a motor. i don't find out anything till wed. at the earliest, i'll keep yall posted. truck has less than 9K miles by the way, 04RC. :mad:
Several members have had this problem. Hope all works out for you.

J.R.

Good Luck Bro, I hope it all works out in your favor and doesn't cost you too much!!!! It sucks how these things work out....:(

Yeah, we really need to have a "sticky" thread at the top of the TECH section for this Crank pully issue... I think it is just with the '04s. :dontknow:

Black1 said:
Yeah, we really need to have a "sticky" thread at the top of the TECH section for this Crank pulley issue... I think it is just with the '04s. :dontknow:
This is with the early 05's too. Anything with the 13/16th crank bolt. I had heard that someone had the same thing happen and the dealer replaced the crank because it was chewed up on the end but not the entire engine. Be interesting to see how your dealer handles it. Do they have a Viper tech? That may make the difference between swapping the engine or going into it. Good luck. I agree, this should have been made a sticky a long time ago. I believe it was suggested before but nothing was done.

Last edited:
Yup, both my 05's had loose crank pulley bolts. They were 1 3/8" and actually had to replace it on my current truck. Caught it just in time before it was an "oh shit" moment....

ya just the crank will be dammaged mine did the same thing .. the pully was totaly skrewed wouldnt even spin the belt anymore thats how lose it was.. and the crank had some chewmarks on it.. but its worked 20k more since with no trouble// the dealer wanted to replace the crank and all this shit 9000$$ repair bill// and i have no warnty ..i told them to f off and just put on the new balancer and it only cost 200 ... and 20k miles later its still 100%

hmm interesting to know that other people have had this problem. YES they do have a viper tech. the pulley should be in wednesday(tomorrow) and he might get it on then, might be thursday. i just hope the crank is ok, he said he looked at it when he got the pulley off and it looked ok, but it was making some bad noises when it was running in the service lane at dodge, im a technician myself for mercedes, and the noise wasn't just the pulley flopping around, it was internal. so we will see.

Back