Harmonic Balancer Bolt Question

Texas Yellow Fever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, finally, after 9k miles I got around to checking my balancer bolt. My understanding is that the ones with issues are 13/16, later version engine have a 1" + bolt size and they do not have the same issue. Can I please get an amen on this understanding so I don't have to go buy a set of friggin sockets, please???? I've looked everywhere and I do not have a socket big enough to fit this thing, I only have sockets up to 1" and a wrench (obviously) ain't gonna work.

1 1/4" socket, yes. 2005 QC.

Did not need any tightening.

130 ft/lbs of torque I believe is the spec. I could only get to about 80 lbs and could not keep the harmonic balancer to sit still.

I have not heard of anyone with the big nutz needing tightening.

Bone said:

130 ft/lbs of torque I believe is the spec. I could only get to about 80 lbs and could not keep the harmonic balancer to sit still.

I have big nutz and try to get them adjusted whenever I can.;) :eek: :p :D

Silverback said:
A good polishing is always good too.

Silverback said:

:rock: .............................................. :rock:

Yessiree - keep them nutz tight and the bolts take care of themselves :p :confused: :)

Bone said:

Cool, thanks!!! I always knew having big nutz wuz a good thing...LOL!!!!

RedSrt007 said:
Larger bolt here....05 RC, wasnt loose...but double checked it anyway!-Red
I know the Loctite fix is suppose to work but I'm just thinkin here.....
What if the 13/16th bolt could be replaced with the 1 1/4" bolt. Would that be extra insurance that the thing won't come loose again. Has anyone tried this? Can it even be done?:confused:
BigDave

Assuming the bigger head bolt also means larger threads, no you could interchange them very easily. You'd have to rethread the crank and that would be a real chore.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
Assuming the bigger head bolt also means larger threads, no you could interchange them very easily. You'd have to rethread the crank and that would be a real chore.
I wasn't thinking the bolt itself would be larger. Just the head of the bolt.
Larger surface area taking more torque to undo. Would have to hold side by side to compare.

SilvrSRT10 said:
I wasn't thinking the bolt itself would be larger. Just the head of the bolt.
Larger surface area taking more torque to undo. Would have to hold side by side to compare.

I mistyped my post, I should have said you could NOT interchange them very easily. Anyway, I agree, if only the head is bigger and the threads are them same, it would be a different story. I do not know if that is the case or not though.

Texas Yellow Fever said:
I mistyped my post, I should have said you could NOT interchange them very easily. Anyway, I agree, if only the head is bigger and the threads are them same, it would be a different story. I do not know if that is the case or not though.
I knew whatcha meant. I'm going to my dealership Friday to have my power steering pump replaced. I'll check with the parts counter then.
BigDave

The '04-'05 harmonic balancer bolt is different from the late '05-'06 bolt. They are different part numbers and according to the parts counter different in threading, width and length. Couldn't be as simple as just changing out the bolt to the newer piece. Hopefully the loctite will be the ticket.

SilvrSRT10 said:
The '04-'05 harmonic balancer bolt is different from the late '05-'06 bolt. They are different part numbers and according to the parts counter different in threading, width and length. Couldn't be as simple as just changing out the bolt to the newer piece. Hopefully the loctite will be the ticket.

Well, that's what we figured. As I understand it then, I should not have this issue...whew, one less thing to worry about...:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back