Got my B&G stage 2 PCM in the mail today!!

lbstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 04 RC with a magnaflow cat-back and a K&N Intake and after reading several reviews regarding the Stage 2 PCM, I decided to give it a go as my next mod. I started my search and found one with a 93 Octane tune that John Stuttle was selling. After agreeing on price, John had it sent to B&M to get the VIN encoded into it before sending it out to me. I wasn't sure if I rather have the 91 or 93 octane tune but after careful research I figure I might as well go with the 93 octane tune as it's readily available in my area.

Installation was very easy but it was bitter cold so I was sure I was gonna drop on of the screws. I ended up not having a problem ane everything went smooth. I assume the previous owner had an upgraded PCM as I saw 2 velcro strips running along the K&N heat shield opposite the firewall. This looks like a nice place for me to stick the factory PCM come emissions time!! Maybe the previous owner did the same?? First impressions; While backing out of my driveway, It felt as though the truck had a stronger idle. My driveway has a slight incline going away from the street. I have to back out very slowly as my house is only a few feet from the road with the driveway on the side. By the time I can see if traffic is coming, the bed is several feet into the roadway. Backing out usually requires me to give light throttle while feathering the clutch to prevent the truck from stalling or backing out too fast. As I was backing out once the new PCM was, I noticed no need to give the truck any throttle?? Pleasant surprise! I drove her pretty easy until operating temperature was reached as it was only 20 degrees outside today. I could immediately hear a difference in tone, the truck also vibrates a bit more?? During regular driving the truck has a bit more pull in the lower RPM range. Once she reached temperature, I soon found that traction in now optional from anywhere in 1st gear with the stock 4:10's. The truck pulls a bit harder and the addition of the few hundred RPM at the top is nice. I tend to just hit the rev limiter when driving her hard. Now I shift right at 6K which is very nice (Damned shifts to third always f*ck me up though!). The sound the truck makes at WOT is quite different. The thing just screams, not that it didn't before, now its just louder. It was a bit scary at first cause I didn't think changing the PCM would make that much of a difference in sound. I must have ran at least 15 WOT burst through several gears on my way to the gym tonight!! This is the way the truck should have run from the factory!! All in all this is a great upgrade and I’m very satisfied. I plan on sticking the 170 degree thermostat in next probably from Boomer. Is there a 170 and 172 degree thermostat? I’ve seem people referring to both? I’ll probably get some Catless mids from Boomer as well and this should be it for a few months for engine mods. I’m finding out that the Caltrac bars are going to be a must, especially if gears are in the future.

Hope my experience helps any future buyers!!

Cool man, Boomer just shipped mine out i already installed the t-stat. Your nuts it was pretty cold out. Id look into JMB Justins kit before the Cal-Tracs at this point though.

Is there a URL I can check out regarding this PCM upgrade... I have been to the X-metal site but most of it appears to be under construction...

Dominick572 said:
Cool man, Boomer just shipped mine out i already installed the t-stat. Your nuts it was pretty cold out. Id look into JMB Justins kit before the Cal-Tracs at this point though.
I think I'm gonna go with Justins it. I've seen it on here before but I really took a cloes look and weighted the pros and cons and feel like Justins kit is the better choice. I know I'd end up scraping the caltrac on a speed bump of something plus you cant beat the money for Justins kit!!

More impressions with the New PCM; This truck is a f*cking animal!! I've had vehicle's in the past that I've dont stuff like headers and intakes on but this takes the cake as far as mods go! Today I had some slow-poke in front of me while traveling through town on a 4 lane road. I pulled into the right lane and gunned her while traveling around 20 mph. The truck starts to take off but the power was too much for the Perelli's. The tires startd to spin as I shifted to second an lit them up!! Then a beautiful shift to third one traction was found, barely (yeah, I know, I hit third!! Its few and far betweem). The truck was tearin up the road. The gain in HP isn't supposed to be crazy dramatic but its just enough to elicit a grin, ear to ear. The lower RPM just rips the tires loose without hesitation!! As I was putting the truck in my offsite garage for the next month as winter here is finally going to flex its muscle, I took her for a nice rip for about a mile before the clutch pedal got really soft!! The weakest link is become more apparent!! Next up, cat-less mids and probably Justins stage 1 traction kit!! The PCM upgrade is the best mod for the money for any vehcile I've ever owned!!

cool bro. i know that i like my stage II on my qc really wakes the truck up.

So you bought a whole new computer for your truck or is this some kind of piggyback device? Am I allowed to ask how much this new computer and flash and everything costed you?

lbstone said:
I assume the previous owner had an upgraded PCM as I saw 2 velcro strips running along the K&N heat shield opposite the firewall. This looks like a nice place for me to stick the factory PCM come emissions time!! Maybe the previous owner did the same??

Sounds like there was a VEC box there?:dontknow: Stock PCM should relocate where the flasched PCM is...with the three screws....that way it's in it's stock location.
Glad your happy with it...congrat's:rock: :burnout: :D

Is there a 170 and 172 degree thermostat?
I'm sure they all very by a few degrees. I've heard it called 172.
Mine was sticking at 166 for several hours on the highway yesterday.
I believe there is a small blow/bleed-off hole in it also, if I remember correctly.

NBT said:
Sounds like there was a VEC box there?:dontknow: Stock PCM should relocate where the flasched PCM is...with the three screws....that way it's in it's stock location.
Glad your happy with it...congrat's:rock: :burnout: :D
perhaps, but I'm sure I can stick two strips of velcro on the stock PCM and stick it to the heat shield come emissions time! I checked to see if the three clips fit and they reach no problem.

Tom said:
So you bought a whole new computer for your truck or is this some kind of piggyback device? Am I allowed to ask how much this new computer and flash and everything costed you?
A new PCM is a few hundred and the tune from B and G runs inthe low fives. You need to get your VIN programmed into the new PCM as well which is $150. I bought mine from a fellow memebr that was selling his and going another route. I saver a few hundred buck this way.

MAN, I AM GETTING ALL EXCITED AGAIN!!!!!
GOING TO BE MY NEXT MOD.CAL VU MIRRORS
TO FOLLOW.

Someone mentioned a t-stat change. Is that required?

Does this PMC work with otherwise stock trucks?

Also, I did not see any reference to any "stage 2" PCM on the B&G site at the link provided above, only a "B&G 'SRT10' Truck Flash." Are there different stage options?

Thanks for the help!

lbstone......great review.
..........for those who have the Stage II love it
...............for those who don't, you can only imagine it.

brat said:
cool bro. i know that i like my stage II on my qc really wakes the truck up.
Hi Just got my 06 Quad Cab, Kinda slow. Does The stage 2 Flash from Dc With 60 hp really make a difference. Do you think I will Beat a Lightning with a stsge 2 falsh. Please Email Me at [email protected] Response appreciated

wont grow old said:
MAN, I AM GETTING ALL EXCITED AGAIN!!!!!
GOING TO BE MY NEXT MOD.CAL VU MIRRORS
TO FOLLOW.
Yo do you really feel the difference with a Volant Intake. Please Let me Know.

lbstone said:
More impressions with the New PCM; This truck is a f*cking animal!! I've had vehicle's in the past that I've dont stuff like headers and intakes on but this takes the cake as far as mods go! Today I had some slow-poke in front of me while traveling through town on a 4 lane road. I pulled into the right lane and gunned her while traveling around 20 mph. The truck starts to take off but the power was too much for the Perelli's. The tires startd to spin as I shifted to second an lit them up!! Then a beautiful shift to third one traction was found, barely (yeah, I know, I hit third!! Its few and far betweem). The truck was tearin up the road. The gain in HP isn't supposed to be crazy dramatic but its just enough to elicit a grin, ear to ear. The lower RPM just rips the tires loose without hesitation!! As I was putting the truck in my offsite garage for the next month as winter here is finally going to flex its muscle, I took her for a nice rip for about a mile before the clutch pedal got really soft!! The weakest link is become more apparent!! Next up, cat-less mids and probably Justins stage 1 traction kit!! The PCM upgrade is the best mod for the money for any vehcile I've ever owned!!

dude I'm with ya....if i wasn't spraying like a feen I'd def have a BG Flash.....I was working with BG on a performance flash to put a new cam in on my MagnumRT before I sold it. Great guys over there. Have fun.....glad to hear your money was well spent!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back