New Exhaust Manifolds! (Jet-Hot content)

Kevan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

They just arrived back from the folks at Jet-Hot. These things look fantastic. I'm quite happy with my purchase.

For those not hip to Jet-Hot, check out their site: www.jet-hot.com
WARNING: Those with ceramic coated headers may experience extreme wallet-ache. :)

Jet-Hot coating is about 2x as cool as uncoated, and much cooler than ceramic, and with our engine bay temps....well, I had to get the best. I had a motorcycle buddy turn me on to the coating late last year after he said the 2-wheel guys wouldn't shut up about how awesome it was.

I looked at header sets, but after pulling off the first exhaust manifold, I realized that these are basically short-tube headers. They're cast iron, but still...it's pretty much a header.

I chose the Sterling 1300 coating in the standard color. It's sort of a mix between chrome and nickel.

NOTES:
- No more splash guards!!!!!!! I would have done it simply for this added benefit. LOL
- The mating surfaces on the headers (where the header connects to the block) are also coated. I was told that this won't be an issue, even with metal gaskets. I will post results after some miles are put on. The mating surface coating is very smooth, but not quite machined like stock. The coating can be removed if desired.
- The folks at Jet-Hot were EXTREMELY helpful during the entire process. They answered all my questions and kept me constantly up-to-date with the progress of my order.
- Each header is engraved with your order number. They put it very inconspicously on the collector flange area. This is for any warranty issues that may arise.
- Lifetime no-rust warranty!!!

COMPARISON:
- Headers with ceramic coating: about $2,000.
- Stock exhaust with Jet-Hot coating: about $400 (includes shipping).

I'll post a full "How To" in the DIY section later on this week/weekend.

Attachments

• p1000948.jpg
    p1000948.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 740
Very nice Kevan, Now you've thrown another option in the mix. What $400 mod do I get next? The Magnaflow or jet hot? Might just flip a coin.

I have 2 sets of headers done by them. I am very happy with their work.

Bill.

i coated my turbos with that stuff. awesome coating. you can also coat brakes with it!

Driver's side is installed. They look great. Test run in the AM.

Attachments

• p1000964-1.jpg
    p1000964-1.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 146
Passenger side installed.
Installation complete.

Attachments

• p1000966.jpg
    p1000966.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 137
They look great. Any chance of increasing the interior diameters of the headers?

Nowwhat, maybe you can do the same thing for your headers, at least say you have modded them in some way :D

In 2000 I was racing motorcycles and my Aprilia Mille "R" had an issue with glazing clutch plates due to mostly my riding style and slipper clutch. I could only get a day or so before the steel plates would glaze and I'd have to pull them out and sand them to remove the glaze. Problem was this often occurred between track sessions and only a few minutes to complete. Needless to say the exhaust pipes were very close and very hot.

Had them sent off to Jet-hot and amazing not only how much cooler the pipes where during running but I only needed to give them 10 min or so after running and you could touch them with a barehand.

Only downside after several years racing is the the sterling finish was no longer sterling (dull actually) anywhere the header turned (increased heat area) and if you got anything on them, yes, even water/mud they would stain. Brakeclean would get most with a little scrubing but eventually you'll end up with a satin finish.

sleeper said:
Did you have the insides coated also?
Yes. Inside and outside are coated.
RedRamRules said:
Any chance of increasing the interior diameters of the headers?
You can have them extrude honed, which will make the insides even smoother than they already are (they're pretty smooth inside as is).

Thanks for the insight, ChuckB.
Chrome, satin....ehhh....at least I don't have the splash shields on there. :)

Time to go put some miles on!!!

Kevan said:
Thanks for the insight, ChuckB.
Chrome, satin....ehhh....at least I don't have the splash shields on there. :)

Time to go put some miles on!!!

Agreed! Sometime soon I want to do some type of exhaust. I'm not so much looking for power but sound. I've been considering doing what you did as it would really dress up the engine and agree the heat shields are the worse visually.

NowWhat's post about if he could do it again he would go with http://www.sweet-thunder.com/index.html has me thinking of doing some experimenting as I was leaning towards the B&B, B&B highflow cat and leaving stock headers. Decisions decisions!!

i wonder if the cost is the same if i wanted to coat headers other than the stock manifolds....... probably some for long tube headers.... nice option though.......:)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back