172 T-Stat?

turbo_neon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can i pick one of these at my dealer or would a local autoparts store have one? Also my truck is brand new i shouldnt have to get a new gasket right? Does the T-stat make the truck run better or is it just strickly cooler? I know usally cooler means it runs better but i was just wanting some feedback.

Thanks,
Jake

Get one from Gary @ X-metal Engineering.

The gasket should be fine.A cooler truck makes more power and with any added mods it is a good idea to do.Hell for $28.95 or so it is a small investment.

oh im definatly getting one. . . i was just curious thats all.

I ordered it from Roe racing just because he is a good bit closer too me so i wanted it to get here faster lol! :burnout: :D

Yes, Boomer or Roe.
No, you don't have to get a new gasket, but they are only 10 bucks I think. Can't hurt to replace.

Will it running cooler it will help re: detonation. So on a N/a its not a huge gain, but when you add a stage 2 flash or Forced induction its really cheap insurance :)

-Red

we have them on stock, the stock stat doenst get the water flowing soon enough, enough at high way speeds. we also now have a bolt in HI-FLOW lectric pusher fan kit, with a thermostatic controller, that controls the fan operation when you choose your desired operating temp range as well as you can configure it to come on when the AC is turned on, so that the AC can really start to cool down, and we all know that the stock AC system in these trucks leaves a lot to be desired. thats due to the stock cooling fan doenst cycle soon enough or fast enough for the AC, especially when sitting in traffic.
the t-stats are 28.95, and the pusher fan kit w.controller is $199.

BOOMER said:
and the pusher fan kit w.controller is $199.
Boomer, send me one of your fan kits.:D Same address as before in GA, same CC #.

Woot T-stat just came. . . alright i went to look were to start the install on the truck and i have no clue lol. . . anyone got a diy or write up on how to do it. . . also will i need some more coolant for this? Do i have to drain my fluids or will just a little come out?

Bone said:
Boomer, send me one of your fan kits.:D Same address as before in GA, same CC #.

Ill take one also on his same cc# just a diff address :) ohh and while were using his cc might as well throw in a paxton, lowering kit, shifter :)

What's the fan good for 5 degrees? Do we need a bigger fan? duals? I'm curious because the heat soak/loss of power is ridiculous. So it's apparant a combination effect is needed to lower it 20degrees to really get good, consistent numbers. So what will meth give? Is the verdict in on that stuff regarding the corrosive properties? And what other options are there. Lower intake charge by insulating intake? T-stat is good for what? Water wetter is good for what? Anyone have any or all of this data?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like we need to create a multiplier effect here. Personally, the cheaper the better on this type of mod for me.

MacksSrt said:
What's the fan good for 5 degrees? Do we need a bigger fan? duals? I'm curious because the heat soak/loss of power is ridiculous. So it's apparant a combination effect is needed to lower it 20degrees to really get good, consistent numbers. So what will meth give? Is the verdict in on that stuff regarding the corrosive properties? And what other options are there. Lower intake charge by insulating intake? T-stat is good for what? Water wetter is good for what? Anyone have any or all of this data?

Sorry for all the questions, but it seems like we need to create a multiplier effect here. Personally, the cheaper the better on this type of mod for me.

Seems like you should you the search function for all of your questions, instead of recreating other posts here.:viking: :stupido2:

I think there was a post on the"other site".The last bolt is an absolute bitch to get to.You should drain the coolant as you will lose a lot if you don't.It is located on the driver side front of the block at the end of the radiator hose.
If this doesn't give enough info,call Gary (Boomer).

Bone said:
Seems like you should you the search function for all of your questions, instead of recreating other posts here.:viking: :stupido2:

Well Bone, I have searched these topics and have read a lot of conflicting information. So, excuse the hell out of me for trying to consolidate the discussion on heat soak! I have a thermostat on the way and am planning on using some type of water wetter, but even the feed back on these is that no one is seeing much of a decrease in temps. As for methanol, there have been some heated debates on whether this will have long term consequences but no one has provided any concrete data that I can find. There is not a lot of info on the fan mods that I can find. At least if it really lowers temps effectively. So if you are so smart, give up the info. Don't just be a smart ass or put people down for asking questions.

Last edited:
MacksSrt said:
Well Bone, I have searched these topics and have read a lot of conflicting information. So, excuse the hell out of me for trying to consolidate the discussion on heat soak! I have a thermostat on the way and am planning on using some type of water wetter, but even the feed back on these is that no one is seeing much of a decrease in temps. As for methanol, there have been some heated debates on whether this will have long term consequences but no one has provided any concrete data that I can find. There is not a lot of info on the fan mods that I can find. At least if it really lowers temps effectively. So if you are so smart, give up the info. Don't just be a smart ass or put people down for asking questions.
For the search challenged:
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681&highlight=methanol
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516&highlight=methanol
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437&highlight=methanol
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889&highlight=thermostat
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399&highlight=thermostat
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=889&highlight=heat
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80&highlight=heat
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712&highlight=heat

I'm not putting people down for asking questions, I am usually the first to answer them. However, you asked multiple questions, somewhat related, but no way able to answer in one post, all being in a t-stat thread, that a 20 sec search could how found some answers. The other site got convoluted from multiple posts in different areas.
U even knew it before you posted.
Sorry for all the questions,
Nevertheless, if I was out of line, I apologize.
Tiss Tiss, using names now, I'm going to sick the Church Lady on you.
smart ass
methanol, there have been some heated debates
I don't remember any 'heated' debates, no pun intended.

Water wetter - decreased my two trucks about 5 degrees. No problems to date from anyone I know, however, I have heard someone talk about jelling? Use distilled water with WW.
Methanol - restores lost HP in hot temps, have not had any problems and haven't seen anybody with problems due to meth. I will swap out my stock pistons soon with forged and will take pics. Cheap mod and protection for engine. Boost higher with Meth. Go with a 50/50 mix for best results.
Fans - Boomer has an electric fan kit, which I am told does a great job at reducing the temp. A few have made their own fan kits.
T-stat - Boomer or Sean have them for sale. Opens earlier than stock T-stat. Need reflash to improve cooling. However, electric fan on top of it is probably the way to go. Easy install and don't have to have gasket.

Last edited:
Whatever dude. I just don't like thinking there is a post patrol and have to carefully moderate every little question I have. Besides, the real reason was to see if anyone had come up with a combination of mods that worked together(fact not sotp). No worries on my end man. I should have maybe opened up a new thread, but the t-stat mod is one I am already doing and thus asked. Peace bro.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back