06 QC Night Runner checking in from Wisconsin~!

GSJake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
Been lurking since I first started to consider this truck a couple months ago.
I have learned a lot so far thanks! :cheers:

Trying to keep it as stock as possible.. minus a tune by Torrie. Its my family hauler so have to keep it tame for the moment. :dontknow:

It does have what I can tell is the Borla exhaust with resonators cut out?
Anyone have the clean stock cat back?
And a Volant air intake which I plan on removing for a stock air box with K&N.

It has 55K on it and I have the dreaded PS line leaking so I have a set of SS lines coming and going to have them installed asap!

Did the first oil change and with 10qts only about a quarter in the "Safe" area on the dis stick?>

With that mileage any other maintenance I should do?

Thanks all!
-Jake

Make sure your dipstick tube is fully seated into the block.
It helps to spin the "T" handle around on the dipstick a couple of times before you pull it out to get a proper reading, as they can be notoriously hard to read.

Some SRT-10s had the wrong info for oil capacity and were a couple of quarts/liters over full if you went by the factory info.

8.5 Liters/US quarts is FULL on these trucks.

Just ask Oldcolt (on this forum), and others.

If you have 10 in there, drain some out (seriously).
Your oil filter will still be full, so once you know you have 8.5 in it, remark your dipstick if you are able. It doesn't sound like you can that's why I suggested you check to make sure it is fully seated in the block. Something strange there if you have 10 qts and are only in the Safe Zone. Hmmmmm...

OldColt used a shortened Hemi Dipstick in his 2006 SRT-10

Tune on a QC is a must. Huge jump in torque. Ask Torrie to extend your 3-4 shift point while he is building you a tune. These trucks short-shift on the factory programming and it really loads the engine at the wrong time.

Drop-In K&N = best way to go, I think.

A GOOD quality cat-back exhaust is a great place to start.

Change plugs if that hasn't been done for a while.

Change the coolant (even if it looks clean). This is important and is often overlooked.

Get a turkey baster and (carefully) take out enough brake fluid to take it down to MIN or slightly below, then fill it up with new stuff from Mopar.
That's what some brake shops will do when you pay for "brake bleeding". It works and replaces the vast majority of the fluid anyway.

Have fun!

Last edited:
Make sure your dipstick tube is fully seated into the block.
It helps to spin the "T" handle around on the dipstick a couple of times before you pull it out to get a proper reading, as they can be notoriously hard to read.

Mine does not spin? It is very tight and seems to want to twist with the handle lettering either topsy or turvy not spin 360 if that makes sense.

Some SRT-10s had the wrong info for oil capacity and were a couple of quarts/liters over full if you went by the factory info.

8.5 Liters/US quarts is FULL on these trucks.

Just ask Oldcolt (on this forum), and others.

If you have 10 in there, drain some out (seriously).
Your oil filter will still be full, so once you know you have 8.5 in it, remark your dipstick if you are able. It doesn't sound like you can that's why I suggested you check to make sure it is fully seated in the block. Something strange there if you have 10 qts and are only in the Safe Zone. Hmmmmm...
I have ensure the dipstick is fully seated as far as pushing it down it seems firm. I can jack it up and get a close look from the bottom later

Tune on a QC is a must. Huge jump in torque. Ask Torrie to extend your 3-4 shift point while he is building you a tune. These trucks short-shift on the factory programming and it really loads the engine at the wrong time.
I will go to his web site unleashed and when I order I request that or is it part of the tune loaded on the SCT?

Drop-In K&N = best way to go, I think.

A GOOD quality cat-back exhaust is a great place to start.
Names you like?

Change plugs if that hasn't been done for a while.
Done at 50K

Change the coolant (even if it looks clean). This is important and is often overlooked.
Will Do
Get a turkey baster and (carefully) take out enough brake fluid to take it down to MIN or slightly below, then fill it up with new stuff from Mopar.
That's what some brake shops will do when you pay for "brake bleeding". It works and replaces the vast majority of the fluid anyway.
Will Do
Have fun!

Thanks for the input Ronnie!

Those dipsticks are just a flexible coiled wire (not flat like the old ones) so it should easily spin around. Maybe go and find yourself one from a 5.7 Hemi and start from there.

No, the tunes are custom and would come from Torrie or MAYBE a couple of other guys on this planet.

I'm partial to B&B exhausts. Some argue they are pricey but I've had mine for 12+ years and (I think) you get what you pay for when it comes to exhaust systems.

B&B has a deep/unique sound and they don't drone when cruising nor pop when you let off.

But I don't know what you like.
There are some wickedly-fast vehicles out there with full exhaust systems.

For example, I wouldn't enjoy my truck (at all) without cats and I don't like loud exhaust systems on really, anything.

Well...except top-fuellers!

Last edited:
Mine is not the flexible wire type. I have a flat piece of steel?
Like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/i/253383531771?chn=ps

I will check with Torrie and on the BB's as I have heard fgood things on them and agree with you 100% as you get what you pay for.. not only with exhaust./ :")

Last edited:
Interesting. Why would the proper dipstick for the truck not be correct?
Thanks.

A mistake.
Not the first time I've seen this by a manufacturer.
That's why the truck engines that are holding 10 qts can smoke and "use oil". The crank scraper can't do much when it's overloaded.
Neither can piston rings.

The info in their manual is wrong too. 10 U.S. qts/liters is too much.

Last edited:
A mistake.
Not the first time I've seen this done by a manufacturer other than Dodge.

Any background on this? How many of these were affected? Is there some sort of bulletin?

Any background on this? How many of these were affected? Is there some sort of bulletin?

The engines are the same and the oil pans are the same.
The capacity information and/or the dipsticks are not correct IF they say 10 qts or don't read properly on the stick.

I just called a local dealership (on your behalf to ask about a bulletin). The guy at the dealership I phoned just asked me if it was a Hemi.
You could try your luck with some of your local dealerships.

The affected ones would be the ones that appear to be burning oil. :)

Have a look at the pic I sent you under the "Dipstick!" thread.

Good Luck.

I have the 06 Dodge Factory manual.

This is what is says:
8.3L
- Oil Service Quantity 8.2L (8.75 qts.) 8.3L
- Engine Overhaul Quantity 9.4L (10.0 qts.)

Does Oil service include filer cap of a qt? Engine overhaul I assume is after complete tear down?

No problem at all GSJake; I didn't take it as an argument but that's what forums are for too if needed!

Yes..you found the right WHOLLY GOD THREAD thread! I hope they were kidding with the spelling. :)

OldColt lives close to me and has a 2006 Regular Cab.
His manual states 10 L (which is close to 10.5 U.S. quarts as the conversion is 1 liter = 1.05669 US qts.). That amounf forced his engine to burn oil as it was over-full.
He also changed to a Hemi dipstick (cut shorter) so he could accurately check his oil.

Engines and oil pans (for the purposes of this conversation) are the same for the trucks 2004-2006.

Last edited:
Very cool Ronnie...
I have no Idea how Dodge could have messed this up?

So I have to go to the dealer and get a hemi dipstick? Any years or vehicle specific?

I want to get that then I will remove some from the crank case./..

A guess here but any late-model 5.7 L dipstick from a 1500 Hemi Truck should work.
You may have to shorten and mark it yourself once you have the right level of oil.
The wire-type like in the photo is the right one to get.
If the dealer brings in a flat metal one, it is the wrong one for sure.
Too long is better than too short!

GSJake, I bought a late model hemi truck dip stick. I measured how much oil per litre showed on the stock dipstick and cut the hemi dipstick to the desired length. I then scribed the 8 litre level and the 7 litre level to show the "safe" and add a litre points.

A guess here but any late-model 5.7 L dipstick from a 1500 Hemi Truck should work.
You may have to shorten and mark it yourself once you have the right level of oil.
The wire-type like in the photo is the right one to get.
Too long is better than too short!

What he said! :D

Thank you guys.
Can I get one from a 04-05 SRT-10?

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the truck came with the WRONG\DEFECT dip stick././. for the last 11 years!

Thank you guys.
Can I get one from a 04-05 SRT-10?

I am having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the truck came with the WRONG\DEFECT dip stick././. for the last 11 years!

Can you measure the length from the bottom of the handle to the end? I will go out to my truck and post up what I have.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back