12" clutch travel????

Donuts4me9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do the clutches have 12" of travel???? does it really need that much? why can't it be 6"? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Donuts4me9 said:
Why do the clutches have 12" of travel???? does it really need that much? why can't it be 6"? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

I hate to say this Scott, but you are confused. Clutches don't have 12, 6, or even 1 inch of travel.

What are you referring to here?:dontknow:

Prof said:
Maybe you are referring to clutch pedal travel?

that's my guess... hahaha i certainly hope you don't have a foot of clutch
travel.. ;) :rock:

Sharpi

I think you gentlemen are correct. Scott is probably referring to the pedal travel.

That's what I get being on here and trying to work at the same time.:eek: :D

Silverback said:
Can't take us anywhere and be proud of us.:eek: :eek: :D
:D :D :D :top:

...Back on the subject....:dontknow:

Meethinks the pedal travel is simply out of the necessity of leverage. I don't know how the Viper is rigged up (I'm not of the payscale to touch the door-handle of one) but in this truck we're practically prying the clutch open.

Not to say it's the heaviest clutch on the road, but I'm pressing the seat cushions quite a bit pumping the clutch pedal down. Not to mention my girlie-girl :girlshit: wife doesn't even have the physical prowess to move the thing more than two inches.

Maybe the only other approach would have to be some sort of power-assist clutch throwout...:confused:

Duh come on guys ,he is mixing the diameter and throw up as the clutch is aproximatly 12" diameter. Engine-ears ROFLMAO
Mike

I thought the factory clutch pedal wasnt that hard to push in?:dontknow: I actually thought it would be stiffer when I first sat in one and tried out the pedal.

When I replaced to the centerforce/viper master slave setup........... I was surprised the pedal is actually easier.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
I thought the factory clutch pedal wasnt that hard to push in?:dontknow: I actually thought it would be stiffer when I first sat in one and tried out the pedal.

When I replaced to the centerforce/viper master slave setup........... I was surprised the pedal is actually easier.

patrick

Me too.

Agreed, that means that Dodge was relatively successful by using long pedal travel. My seat cushions still get a bit crushed quite a bit...

But, try driving a gutless car for a little while (like, say, Honda CR-V...my old car). Those clutches are so light, you'll be wondering if the pedal will actually come back up... All with half of the travel we have.:p

i may be wrong but dont all clutches have a little free travel, if not it would wear out the clutch faster.

eddie102870 said:
i may be wrong but dont all clutches have a little free travel, if not it would wear out the clutch faster.

Yes, you have to have some free play in the pedal. If not the throw out bearing is riding on the pressure plate fingers and that's a big time no-no.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back