1972 Dodge Van - 2005 SRT10 V10 Swap

Alikazam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here is my pictures of my build thread (photobucket album) putting a 2005 Ram SRT10 RC engine into my 1972 Dodge Van. Feel free to ask any questions!

1972 Dodge B100 109" Wheelbase van, originally was 318 2bb. Had been upgraded to 360 4bbl with built 727 and nitrous (best Quarter Mile ET of 11.949 @ 113). Pulled all that out and started installing a 2005 Generation III Viper V10 8.3L (505 CID) from a wrecked 2005 Ram SRT-10 Pickup. Used a TCI Viper V10 to GM Transmission adapter kit, that I had to make several modifications to so that it would work, i.e. Different starter ring gear on flex plate, press in fasteners for adapter piece had to be shipped to me and I had to press in as they were missing, and I had to have a different secondary plate cut from A514 (iirc) to match the 6 bolt hole pattern of the 4L80E torque converter as the one that came with the kit was a smaller 3 hole bolt circle pattern. Anyway, each of those pieces was modified and rebalanced at a machine shop before being put to use. I'll let the pictures take it from here, and answer any questions you all might have! smile

Whole Photo Album:
Van Viper Swap Photos by alikazam2000 | Photobucket

Cool project! How much does the van weigh? We need more exterior pictures !

Yeah, its the one in my signature. Before when she was empty with the small block was 3800 lbs (no interior) and 4100 with old interior. Here's a couple last time she was cleaned up and running on the small block:

That van is sweet. How about clear Lexi doghouse so you can see the motor?

My folks bought this van new in 1972, their first new vehicle purchase. They had it since new and I bought it for $650 for my first vehicle and have had it since 1993. So, why a van? Cuz I had it, it is RWD and was V8 powered, haha. Just started modifying little by little and here we are today :)

I look forward to finishing the swap and having it running, then adding the twin turbos down the road :) I think I'm going to need a little more tire under the rear to hook... lol

twin Precision 6766 turbos... :)

Attachments

• IMG_20131111_122502_534.jpg
    IMG_20131111_122502_534.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 143
i agree, lol.

maybe some tubs & a set of Viper rear tires & wheels???

I can fit 12" wide rubber under the rear (that's what's on her now for street tires) so I think I'll still fit something nice instead of the old 9" slicks and ought to be good without tubbing her any. :) My brother has this crazy idea of computer traction control and 10's on street tires... but we'll have to see about that, haha. :) 12" slicks... that ought to do I would think!

If you plan any kind of turbos in the future you better plan on pulling the motor & repairing the bottom end in the future also! The stock cast pistons & powder rods simply can't take it. The V10 does not have the best track record with turbo charging.

I already have K1 connecting rods, billet main caps and will order pistons when I get the engine apart and get exact measurements. :) I've done my homework! lol

Ok, as long as you know what you are in for. I always hated swaping engines in a van so doing it twice with a 10 cylinder would blow. Is yours between the seats or up front?

Ok, as long as you know what you are in for. I always hated swaping engines in a van so doing it twice with a 10 cylinder would blow. Is yours between the seats or up front?

goin by the photos of the van, between da seats:rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back