2004 dodge ram QC hemi

VIPER

JTS VENOM SERIES SRT-10
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i know this is not a HEMI site - but please dont break my balls, i need a little help...

i am workin on my cuz' truck...

he is tho'in a light " electronic throttle control system "

the light look like a lighting bolt

ok so i replaced the throttle body with the ETCS it all one unit i let the truck site to clear the codes and reset the PCM b4 i reconnected the battery

well i reconnected the battery and the ETC light is still on FLASHING and it rev'in up to about 1800 RPM's and then decresing RPM then stalling and still to peddle

is there anyone here that can give me some advise or help me out with this problem ?

thanks

Chris

the other things i know that will make it run rough is the MAS, and "sorry for my trem's here" the sensor under the peddle that tells the PCM and the ETCS where the peddle is

:dontknow: Accelerator Position Sensor

I ran into this on a charger it was the gas pedal, another thing usually you will need a scanner to clear the codes I haven't had any luck with the battery disconnect. Was the throttle body you replaced a new one or a used one?

You can try resetting the throttle position sensor to see if it helps.

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

Did you clean the TB too or did you replace it with a brand new one? Have you hooked a scanner up to it to see if there are any codes?

JoeHemi said:
You can try resetting the throttle position sensor to see if it helps.

1) Insert ignition key and turn to "ON" (not start).
2) Wait for all idiot lights to go out. Check Engine Light may remain on.
3) Slowly depress the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
4) Slowly release the accelerator pedal until it's all the way back up.
5) Turn the ignition key to "OFF".
6) Start the engine.

Did you clean the TB too or did you replace it with a brand new one? Have you hooked a scanner up to it to see if there are any codes?

i replaced the TB - 228 $ for a new one - i dont have a scanner for the truck, i have to wait till tomarrow till i run to the shop to pick one up

thanks for your reply

Ive heard of this, many times it has been a pcm issue and it needed re flashing

No problem..when the lightning bolt starts flashing it normally means theres a bad enough problem that it put the truck in limp mode. If recalibrating the throttle position doesnt help then it could also be the map sensor shorting out. Once you get the scanner on there it should tell you whats wrong.

Also you reset PCM right?

Look on back of the fuse panel cover to find which fuse is for the pcm. Remove it. The 04 I think is 23 but double check.

Get in the truck and close the door.

Buckle seat belt.

Turn key to on (not start)

Wait for it to ding twice (there is a pause between the first and 2nd ding)

After the second ding, turn off key, remove seat belt, exit truck and reinstall the fuse.

Start the truck

Ramchargerguy said:
I ran into this on a charger it was the gas pedal, another thing usually you will need a scanner to clear the codes I haven't had any luck with the battery disconnect. Was the throttle body you replaced a new one or a used one?

i installed a new TB directly from dodge dealer

RB04 said:
Ive heard of this, many times it has been a pcm issue and it needed re flashing

i am hoping this is not the case - then i need to get it towed to the dealership :(

JoeHemi said:
No problem..when the lightning bolt starts flashing it normally means theres a bad enough problem that it put the truck in limp mode. If recalibrating the throttle position doesnt help then it could also be the map sensor shorting out. Once you get the scanner on there it should tell you whats wrong.

Also you reset PCM right?

Look on back of the fuse panel cover to find which fuse is for the pcm. Remove it. The 04 I think is 23 but double check.

Get in the truck and close the door.

Buckle seat belt.

Turn key to on (not start)

Wait for it to ding twice (there is a pause between the first and 2nd ding)

After the second ding, turn off key, remove seat belt, exit truck and reinstall the fuse.

Start the truck

thanks man - i will give it a try tomarrow after work

So you had the "red lightening bolt" (aka throttle control light) prior to or after the throttle body install?

Usually indicates some kind of restriction, or dirty throttle body causing the valve to stick.

Slight possibility that it is the TPS or vacuum leak.

Bone said:
So you had the "red lightening bolt" (aka throttle control light) prior to or after the throttle body install?

Usually indicates some kind of restriction, or dirty throttle body causing the valve to stick.

Slight possibility that it is the TPS or vacuum leak.

yes sir, the light was b4 i installed the new TB, after replacing the TB i still have the light :(

OSO said:
Map sensor.

ok? - where is this located on the HEMI truck - if your sure of it i will order one right now :)

thanks for the reply

OSO said:
Map sensor.

MAP sensor is cheap - :) 24.00 $

Dodge wanted me to bring in the truck so they can tell me what is wrong with it and fix it

also - when i talked to Dodge they said there was no sensor on the gas peddle :dontknow:

VIPER said:
MAP sensor is cheap - :) 24.00 $

Dodge wanted me to bring in the truck so they can tell me what is wrong with it and fix it

Did you try it already?
If you need the codes off of the truck you can do the following

door open turn ign on off on off on and the codes will read out on the cluster

OSO said:
Did you try it already?
If you need the codes off of the truck you can do the following

door open turn ign on off on off on and the codes will read out on the cluster

i am still st work - i get done here at 430

there is no CEL - only the lighting bolt in brakets

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!