48re solenoid upgrade update

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Just got a call from a member that just installed the gm conversion from PATC

he jsut said that if you havent done this upgrade it has actually taken a ton of the problems related with the shifting out of the tranny:rock:

Said the tranny acts and drives completely different:rock:

Hopefully he may chime in with more details but he is totally crazy happy:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Stinker,

Look at my post in the one just below yours. It is a to do list for the 48re. What do you think?

Yep...I am that member...

Here it is...Awesome conversion...Make's a huge difference...No searching anymore...Just downshift and go...

IMG_0746.JPG

IMG_0699.JPG

SlvrSnake said:
Stinker,

Look at my post in the one just below yours. It is a to do list for the 48re. What do you think?
if I tell you the truth I dont think you would like it;)

but here is the jjsut of things,

to me there is nothing wrong with the valve body, most of the problems arrize from the solenoids, the clutch material flows thru the system and gets the solenoid clogged and pressure goes nutts, now Harold did the best thing ever, completly flushing the system, that gets 90 % of all the material out of the system.

the new gm solenoid seems to be doing a ton better, jrgnd even says the line pressure is way up, and thats what controls the clutch pack pressure.

the lever and a few other things make them last a bit longer, the company I and Eddie are working with are also looking in to adding more clutches for better ingagement while still staying at the same price and warranty.

I hope dusty does do well and it should do well. you def wont go wrong with your build, but I dont think a valve body is the answer. but I have been wrong before;)

Stinker said:
if I tell you the truth I dont think you would like it;)

but here is the jjsut of things,

to me there is nothing wrong with the valve body, most of the problems arrize from the solenoids, the clutch material flows thru the system and gets the solenoid clogged and pressure goes nutts, now Harold did the best thing ever, completly flushing the system, that gets 90 % of all the material out of the system.

the new gm solenoid seems to be doing a ton better, jrgnd even says the line pressure is way up, and thats what controls the clutch pack pressure.

the lever and a few other things make them last a bit longer, the company I and Eddie are working with are also looking in to adding more clutches for better ingagement while still staying at the same price and warranty.

I hope dusty does do well and it should do well. you def wont go wrong with your build, but I dont think a valve body is the answer. but I have been wrong before;)

I hear ya Stinker. The end goal is pretty much the same. Better line pressure and shifting. We will see what happens. I hope what I am doing works, so we will see. But hey, if it is the wrong choice then so be it, my mistake. There is usually more than one way to attack a problem and you guys are trying a different method than I am. It really comes down to which way works best for the money and solves the issue.

P.S.
Feel free to speak your mind. You won't hurt my feelings. I have been wrong before and will be again in the future for sure.

jrangel said:
Did you have to remove the valve body to install the GM unit?

I can't answer that...The tranny was completely off the truck when they did it...Plus I didn't do the build....:D

jrgnd said:
I can't answer that...The tranny was completely off the truck when they did it...Plus I didn't do the build....:D

What else was done to the tranny?

Killer deal!

did you have a 2-3 problem where every time you shifted into third it destroyed the transmission? Or just the annoying 1-2-1-2-1-2 light throttle problem?

EDITED ;)

The governor solenoid fix is AWESOME from the looks of it and will fix many problems. As long as it doesn't magnetized the valve and pick up trash this will be a long term fix..... I'm buying it!

The valve body fixes many issues and is not a fix to the hunting gov solenoid problem. its a shift timing, firmness, port comunication fixer.

bigike said:
Killer deal!

did you have a 2-3 problem where every time you shifted into third it destroyed the transmission? Or just the annoying 1-2-1-2-1-2 light throttle problem?

So what causes the light throttle 1-2-1-2-1-2 light throttle problem? I just got mine back from the stealership and they flushed out the entire tranny, replaced 5 direct clutch discs, the kickdown band, the governor solenoid, cleaned the valve body, put a seal kit in (all internal seals and gaskets), and changed the fluid and filter.

It still does the light throttle 1-2-1-2-1-2.

WOT said:
So what causes the light throttle 1-2-1-2-1-2 light throttle problem? I just got mine back from the stealership and they flushed out the entire tranny, replaced 5 direct clutch discs, the kickdown band, the governor solenoid, cleaned the valve body, put a seal kit in (all internal seals and gaskets), and changed the fluid and filter.

I would attribute it to the governor or a bad valve buddy/shift kit....

I had that and it was resolved by what I did here:
http://vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31855

Given that list, I'd check the TV cable. Search and there are good posts here on how to adjust it - super simple with just a small flat blade and popping the hood.

WOT said:

I didn't put the GM one in, but having just done the Dodge style replacement and knowing how it attaches, I would say you don't have to.

The supplier I used stated it has a black electrical connector where the stock part is natural nylon color. Claims updated model. I have no proof one way or the other - I guess time will tell, but I'm making this regular maint, so I'll likely not find out.

jrangel said:
Did you have to remove the valve body to install the GM unit?

SlvrSnake said:
I hear ya Stinker. The end goal is pretty much the same. Better line pressure and shifting. We will see what happens. I hope what I am doing works, so we will see. But hey, if it is the wrong choice then so be it, my mistake. There is usually more than one way to attack a problem and you guys are trying a different method than I am. It really comes down to which way works best for the money and solves the issue.

P.S.
Feel free to speak your mind. You won't hurt my feelings. I have been wrong before and will be again in the future for sure.

bo, i think a valve body upgrade is awesome, but I dont think its the root of the problem,

I dont know, I guess i have just seen soooo many vendors and non vendors pop in here and take a ton of money from guys and then dissapear to never be seen again i just get a little protective;)

if I screw up, ya'll can yell at me all over the forum, but its hard to yell at somebody not here:argh: :argh:

HaroldD said:
I had that and it was resolved by what I did here:
http://vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31855

Given that list, I'd check the TV cable. Search and there are good posts here on how to adjust it - super simple with just a small flat blade and popping the hood.

It's not the TV cable - I know how to adjust it. Plus the dealer just put the tranny back in and would have had to adjust it. Plus, a misadjusted TV cable won't cause it to go back and forth between 1 and 2. It will just make it shift really late and firm at part throttle (too tight) or shift really early at mid throttle and slip going into 3rd (too loose). Thanks though.

So, anyone else know what causes the 1-2-1-2-1-2 at light throttle?

WOT said:
It's not the TV cable - I know how to adjust it. Plus the dealer just put the tranny back in and would have had to adjust it. Plus, a misadjusted TV cable won't cause it to go back and forth between 1 and 2. It will just make it shift really late and firm at part throttle (too tight) or shift really early at mid throttle and slip going into 3rd (too loose). Thanks though.

So, anyone else know what causes the 1-2-1-2-1-2 at light throttle?

Valve body problems cause this. I had the same issue with a previous transmission and that exact problem (as well as others) started when the dealer put a new valve body on. I believe it is communication port issues. Could also be associated with governor pressure solenoid getting gunked up. The solenoid is a $48 dollar piece. Wouldn't hurt to swap it out and see if it is any better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back