A/C stinks, but searching indicates no cabin filter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2quik6, Oct 20, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. 2quik6

2quik6 Full Access Member

My A/C all of sudden started smelling like a cattle barn. If I turn it to heat and turn the A/C button off it is fine. A google search indicates that 2005 Rams did not have a cabin filter, this has usually been the culprit for other cars that started smelling weird.
    Any ideas what could be causing in on our SRT10s?

Thanks

Kiwi SRT10 likes this.
  2. Aussie Viper Truck

Aussie Viper Truck Active Member

make sure the a/c drain is not blocked. poke a cable tie into the drain to free any of the built up sludge. the drain is located at the bottom of the HVAC and penetrates the floor to the outside of the vehicle.

Kiwi SRT10 likes this.
  3. 2quik6

Where is this located? Under dash somewhere, behind glove box, how do I access this area?

4. 2quik6

I think I found the drain tube, it is just sticking out of the fire wall about 1 inch, just behind the bottom of the AC accumulator.
    I put a hose on it and can freely blow through it, and then hooked the shop vac up to it, and didn't suck anything out of it either, so its clear.
    I did let the AC blow on HI, which I hardly ever have it on that hard, and it seems to have went away after blowing on hi a few mins.

AMS3 likes this.
  5. 505

505 Full Access Member

my 2006 RC exact same thing. smells horrible inside. no cabin filter.

6. SRT10FOUR

SRT10FOUR Member

is it on the passenger side of the firewall?

Did you happen to take a picture?

7. 2quik6

Yes, pass side, just slightly to the right of the AC accumulator at the bottom, can't miss it, a tube about 1 to 1.5 inches long sticking straight out from the firewall, about 1/2 inch in diameter.

8. SRT10FOUR

SRT10FOUR Member

Found it! I can’t get a shop vac hose to mine, but do we know how deep it is??

would a 6-8” pipe cleaning brush be long enough to clear any possible debris?

9. 2quik6

I first stuck a piece of solid copper wire up the tube, went about 6 inches in, didn't clear anything out, don't think there was anything to clear out in mine, but then I just put a piece of heater hose over the tube and I could freely blow air through it so again, figured it was clear, then just put the shop vac up to the heater hose that I had connected to it just to make sure.

AMS3 likes this.
  10. Kiwi SRT10

Kiwi SRT10 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

If it doesn't smell the same on Recirc ....Check your air intake, make sure there is nothing dead in there, you may get a surprise.

AMS3 likes this.