Any cat owners that know about skin problems

VIPR PWR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cat started getting little scab type bumps on her head .. It spread around her ears neck and chin .. above her eyes and her tail where it connects to her body … She scratch above her eyes raw .. stopped eating her treats and wet food and hides all day under my nightstand . She does eat her dry food and lots of water , comes out only to eat and use her cat box .. she would throw up the wet food and hairballs about 3 times a day ..
Anyone have workable remedy’s , what meds or treatments a vet uses for things like ringworm , mites ,parasites ,funguses etc. or natural treatments to clear the problem .
It appears they use the same meds as people use but say they are prescription only and charge a lot more . I’m finding that just to treat ringworm using a vet cost between $150 and $500 not including the medications ..
I tried a few things creams and she at least is moving around the last 2 days and has now eaten her wet food 3 times since last night .IMG_1002.jpegIMG_1001.jpeg

Google scabies in cats looks like it could be that.
I hope she feels better soon!! Poor little boog

I'm sure you've probably read all this stuff but fleas get on their tail area

I'm sure you've probably read all this stuff but fleas get on their tail area

Definitely no fleas..

One article on ringworm said vets use a backlight to look for green colored areas - do you have a backlight?

No black light anymore lol .. imdid read something about vets using those ..maybe I’ll get a black light bulb . Would like to rule out ringworm

Google scabies in cats looks like it could be that.
I hope she feels better soon!! Poor little boog
No idea how she could get anything . Well except from the 1 contact in her life kicking the crap out of a black cat that came to my front door …. Or when she bolted out the door a couple times in heat and I had to chase her around to get her back in the house . I know that black cat was scoping the area for a few days . I guess even a indoor cat can attract the scum of the neighborhood lol.. freaking renter in the neighborhood dump cats when the move out ,,, in the last couple weeks there are now 4 homeless cats and one had 3 kittens .. people that dump there pets should be dumped with nothing on the streets to get a taste of responsibility and reality .
I thought Boog may have met up with that black cat and got pregnant .. must have been one qwicky as when she got out I was on her tail trying to chase her back in the house . The black cat is getting its bit kicked by the new strays all the time and I haven’t seen it for about 3 days now .. I didn’t even think about scabies in cats ..

Here are 2 of the new dumped pets that just appeared in the last week …IMG_1004.jpegIMG_1003.jpeg

The neighborhood scroungers! hahahaha - they should move to cali

The neighborhood scroungers! hahahaha - they should move to cali
Yes and the owners that left them should be sentenced to skid row to eat out of dumpsters ..
a couple years ago there were 2 cockapoos roaming around the neighborhood .. they were clean looked like twin puppies hooked at the hip and playfull like puppies . A neighbor lady was driving around trying to find the owner thinking they just got out of the house . Others tried to help find where they lived in the neighborhood and nobody had ever seen them .. the lady put them at her home while trying to find the owner or someone that would take them .. Well , I checked with a few people and they had to many pets already . Her daughter was searching the internet for whatever for lost animals or something and came across something that led her to the actual owners .. She called them and they told her that they couldn’t afford to keep them and dumped them in our neighborhood .. The daughter was pissed and I think she even called to cops. I never found out what happened to the dogs . But it turned out they were 10 years old which was unbelievable as puppy like they acted ..

I’ve met pretty much every Dog in my neighborhood and their owners.. from the Mastiff, Rottwieller , PitBull monsters lol to the Shiba Inu dog and little Gizmo named dog since I walk so much around the neighborhood ..

People who do that to pets should be punished. Animals are innocent. Even the wild ones. But to Abandona domestic one is inhumane to the fullest extent. I could go on for hours :mad:

I’m 110% with you on that

I can try to help. What's the approximate age of the cat?
I don't know the exact age but I don't think she's very old maybe a few years. VIPR PWR is off line I'm hoping he pops in while you're on.

Any guess by the pics he posted?

Can't tell if she's just petite or younger, as in around a year or two old. If she's older, it could be something like diabetes (especially if there's lots of water consumption).

If you suspect ringworm and treat it topically with creams, it should work provided the cat doesn't lick it back off. Just keep in mind if it is ringworm - you can contract it yourself since it is fungal. -So mind contact surfaces and wash up after direct contact.

Only other unusual circumstances I've seen similar is a food allergy...Both in a cat and a dog. Excessive treats, or an developing an allergy to an ingredient in their food or treats (usually from a sudden change to a different brand) caused sores, hair loss around the eyes, lethargic behavior, and excessive itching/grooming.

The vomiting isn't a surprise from the hair loss, but the sooner that stops, the better. It's good to hear there was improvement in the last couple days.

Can't tell if she's just petite or younger, as in around a year or two old. If she's older, it could be something like diabetes (especially if there's lots of water consumption).

If you suspect ringworm and treat it topically with creams, it should work provided the cat doesn't lick it back off. Just keep in mind if it is ringworm - you can contract it yourself since it is fungal. -So mind contact surfaces and wash up after direct contact.

Only other unusual circumstances I've seen similar is a food allergy...Both in a cat and a dog. Excessive treats, or an developing an allergy to an ingredient in their food or treats (usually from a sudden change to a different brand) caused sores, hair loss around the eyes, lethargic behavior, and excessive itching/grooming.

The vomiting isn't a surprise from the hair loss, but the sooner that stops, the better. It's good to hear there was improvement in the last couple days.
She petite ..

She petite ..
She’s been eating the same treats forever and now she hardly eats them , she eats the same canned food for years . I did find another canned food she loves and she’s been eating that for around 2 years and never a problem . She is very selective and finicky when it comes to food . She does eat dry food and appears to drink a normal amount of water as before .
The hairballs did become excessive and now she hasn’t done any in around 3 days , scratching and licking is less from what I seeing . She is still not active and stays mostly in hiding in the same area .. she does twitch and shake her head some that I’ve noticed recently .
The only contact with any other animal was when she kick another cats butt all the way across the street when it came to my front door . I didn’t know she had bad ass in her till then . But she did bolt out the door on me when she was in heat the last time and I had to chase her down … She may have meet up in a very short time with that other cat , I don’t know for sure . At first I suspected she got pregnant .. ate like a pig for 5 lol then over a month later this skin problem popped up and she changed a lot . She does appear lethargic .
I have given her 3 baths and pure Aloe gel afterwards , used several creams and ear fungal drops , advantage flea treatment ( there are no fleas and figured it would keep them away if they were around also hoping it would kill mites ..
I used neosporin diluted with aloe gel to try and avoid any infections on the sores ( it helped heal them up pretty fast .
I used bacterial cream and Pyrethrin labeled for 5 pond cats on the areas around her head ,ears and neck being careful to avoid places she can lick . I did not treat her tail area with it .
She did start to become more mobile until I think ai traumatized her giving her the last bath and used the ear drops . I hope that the Pyrethrin isn’t causing the lethargy as she seems to be hiding in the same spot again .
I did use green tea soap for her bath ,, then I find it can be bad to use it ,, GOOGLE STINKS !
I was and disinfect my hands and arms everytime I touch her.. vacuum constantly and have sprayed areas where she has been in the hose . Hopefully I don’t get anything lol .. I know treatments for these possible infections is readily available and I have most creams already stock piled .. I get them thru my Medicare benefits lol ..Anyone need bandaides lol .

I appreciate your help and thank you !

Last edited:
Sounds like you're doing everything right. That's about all you can do. Glad to hear you're giving Pyrethrin for cats, I guess higher quantities can give them trouble if too much or the wrong kind is administered.

Hiding isn't good, but eating, drinking, and a normal potty schedule is good. Frequent urination in small quantities can indicate stress, and as long as there are no worms and solid stool. That's about all you can troubleshoot and do from home.

Best of luck and hopefully happy healing!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back