Built Engine, Good News!

mysrt10

Been there, done that
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been sad to see all theses threads packed full of issues and problems. I'm sorry to all that have been plagued but, stay strong, take a step back, and the answer/solution is close.

With that out of the way, I'm glad to bring some good news to the forum. My in-frame, personally built engine, has just rolled past the 10k mileage mark! I realize this may not be big for some but, for me, it's a great feeling. The only thing i would currently like to change would be the cam. I think a custom grind would really set this thing off. Then the addition of a n2o kit will happen around tax season!

Still no track or dyno numbers. Track time will happen in the spring and dyno will happen as soon as the local shop completes their "modernization".

Forged pistons(raised compression)/rods, cam, springs, pushrods, ATI balancer, port/polished intake, port matched heads.

Your in frame build is very interesting and inspiring to many of us. I'd be tempted to follow your example if I wasn't such a terrible mechanic.

What is your ring gap considering you're going to use N20?

Top compression rings were set a .01- .011, second compression rings were set at .024- .025, and oil controls were set at .011- .012.
I never intended to spray more than a 200-225 shot so I just went right in the middle of factory acceptable gaps.

Did you put the stock cam back in it? and what cam do you want to replace it with??:dontknow:

I'm running the comp cams XR270. I'm drooling over Justin's (JMB) custom grind power numbers from that stock compression viper with bolt-on's. With my compression, that cam would be nasty.

It seems you mistakenly posted one of your "deep thoughts" here on my useful thread :heeeelllllooooo:

useful thread....hmmm must have missed that one...the only thread I seen was you patting yourself on the back for the hillbilly/driveway rebuild that just happened to hold up for you....after you have seen the troubles guys have been having around here lately you just decide to post how great your backyard mechanic skills are, nice story thanks!!

oh and p.s ...congrats for being the first re re to rebuild a motor without removing it, your a trend setter!!

Last edited:
useful thread....hmmm must have missed that one...the only thread I seen was you patting yourself on the back for the hillbilly/driveway rebuild that just happened to hold up for you....after you have seen the troubles guys have been having around here lately you just decide to post how great your backyard mechanic skills are, nice story thanks!!

oh and p.s ...congrats for being the first re re to rebuild a motor without removing it, your a trend setter!!

In frame rebuilds are common in heavy trucks, nor is he the first to do one on a 10. Some people don't have the tools or the space to remove their engines. Maybe you should go post your rambling bullshit in another thread

In frame rebuilds are common in heavy trucks, nor is he the first to do one on a 10. Some people don't have the tools or the space to remove their engines. Maybe you should go post your rambling bullshit in another thread

Yeah I do in frames for a living ON TRACTORS....LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DONE...Sorry you guys want to do sum hillbilly shit...this aint no dime a dozen cheby 350...

wtf does this have to do with you?...home boy cant stick up for himself/herself...

Sorry I didn't realize he was YOUR bitch...ill stay away from him!!!

Rambling bullshit?? The only rambling bullshit was homeboy posting how great his shadetree mech work was, after he seen the problems a few are having around here...built engine??? Really...soooo let me get this straight, you pull the pistons out-slap in some forged ones without any machine work and this is called a built engine...bullshit yeah I think I know where all the bullshit ramblings are...

Last edited:
Some threads on the VTCoA are specailer than others. Lets see if this one has all the components to make it a good one:

1. An initial post by a well meaning member: check.

2. A rebuttal (can't believe I had to look of the correct spelling on that one) from another member who thinks the OP was being douchy: check.

3. A third member setting the rebutting member straight: check.

4. Mention of gear ratios, politics, or prior military service: nope, don't see it.

Dang, this thread had potential too.

It sure is, "happening to hold up". The post was meant to be positive and encouraging as a few members now seen to be leery of paying for a built engine. Anyone with moderate mechanical skills can accomplish this. Could you please go back to where I said I was the first to claim completion of an in-frame build? I don't see it anywhere.

Yeah I do in frames for a living ON TRACTORS....LIKE THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE DONE...Sorry you guys want to do sum hillbilly shit...this aint no dime a dozen cheby 350...

Why pull the engine when all of my cylinders were within factory specs for bore, taper, and out-of-round???

wtf does this have to do with you?...home boy cant stick up for himself/herself...

Sorry I didn't realize he was YOUR bitch...ill stay away from him!!!

Rambling bullshit?? The only rambling bullshit was homeboy posting how great his shadetree mech work was, after he seen the problems a few are having around here...built engine??? Really...soooo let me get this straight, you pull the pistons out-slap in some forged ones without any machine work and this is called a built engine...bullshit yeah I think I know where all the bullshit ramblings are...

I actually have a life and I really don't feel the need to jump on and respond immediately to you. See my above response for machine work.

4. Mention of gear ratios, politics, or prior military service: nope, don't see it.

Dang, this thread had potential too.

Sorry, I was just preparing a multi-quote response.

I was about to mention that my 4.88's were specially designed to back up a built engine. :D

Sorry, I was just preparing a multi-quote response.

I was about to mention that my 4.88's were specially designed to back up a built engine. :D

Success! :D

Let me know when you are ready to swap and I'll send you my 4.10's.

First off lets get one thing straight, you removing the stock pistons and putting in forged ones does not constitute a BUILT engine...Your positive and encouraging words were pretty worthless with this said...Its obvious any fool can slap in some slugs, but the builds you are being positive and encouraging towards were actual builds and not just Cletus the slack jaw yoakal slapping in new pistons...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back