Calling all gurus!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DublinOH, Aug 6, 2020.

Car Parts
  1. DublinOH

DublinOH Full Access Member

The sunroof in my 2005 quad cab is out of calibration. It won't vent and only closes 1/2 way. Anyone know of a recalibration procedure? Thanks in advance!

2. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

STANDARD PROCEDURE
    SUNROOF POSITION CALIBRATION
    Press the power sunroof switch (Open, Closed, and Vent). If no movement occurs when either the open switch or
    closed switch is pressed, but the system does move when the vent button is pressed and held, the system is not
    calibrated. Perform the following procedure to position calibrate the power sunroof system.
    1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
    2. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass panel has moved to the full
    vent position and the motor movement has stopped for at least 1 second.
    3. Press the close switch on the power sunroof switch and hold for a moment (at least 100ms) and release. The
    sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full close position. If the sunroof glass panel does not return to
    the full close position, refer to the appropriate diagnostic information for full system diagnosis.
    4. Verify proper system operation.
    EXCESSIVE FORCE LIMITATION (EFL) CALIBRATION
    NOTE: Verify the battery is in good condition prior to performing this procedure. Do not leave the vehicle on
    a battery charger while performing this procedure. If the voltage at the sunroof motor/module drops below
    11 volts or exceeds 15 volts at anytime while this procedure is being performed, the Excessive Force Limitation
    (EFL) function will not be properly calibrated.
    1. Turn the ignition to the RUN position.
    2. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and hold until the sunroof glass panel has moved to the full
    vent position and the motor movement has stopped for at least 1 second.
    3. Press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue
    travel to the full closed position. This will be considered the first sunroof closed position in a series of four
    sunroof closes.
    4. Press the vent button on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should move to the full
    vent position. After the sunroof motor/module has stopped, press the close position on the power sunroof switch
    and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. This will be considered
    the second sunroof closed position in a series of four sunroof closes.
    5. Continue to move the sunroof glass to the “vent” then “closed” positions two more times so that the sunroof glass
    has moved to the closed position a total of four times starting with the first sunroof close in step 3.
    6. Press the open position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel
    to the full open position.
    7. Press the close position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue
    travel to the full closed position. This will be considered the first sunroof closed position in a series of five
    sunroof closes.
    8. Press the open position on the power sunroof switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should move to the
    full open position. After the sunroof motor/module has stopped, press the close position on the power sunroof
    switch and release. The sunroof glass panel should continue travel to the full closed position. Continue to move
    the sunroof glass to the “open” then “closed” position four more times so that the sunroof glass has
    moved to the closed position a total of five times starting with the first sunroof close in step 7.
    Verify proper EFL calibration by placing a standard pencil at the front of the sunroof and then moving the
    sunroof to the full closed position. The sunroof should reverse direction upon contact without damage to
    the pencil.

If one day a hooligan seagull were to drop a brick and smash the glass, the WHOLE repair would be covered under glass insurance.

Not that it would ever happen.

Just silly to even imagine it.

Where do people even come up with this stuff???!!

Kiwi SRT10, Srt10650 and AMS3 like this.
  3. rottenronnie

There is a large section on the sunroof in the shop manual.
    As I found out, this site limits messages over 100,000 so I posted the most useful section (maybe).

Kiwi SRT10 likes this.
  4. DublinOH

Thank you. My roof is open and will not close. It will fully open, and it will close 1/2 way. If I hold the close button it closes 3/4 and then retract back to 1/2 on its own. Seems like a calibration issue. I had it apart earlier this year replacing the headliner and sun shade. The shade is a little tighter than it used to be, but does slide fully from front to back. I cannot get the roof to go to the vent position in order to try the methods above. Anything elase in the manual? Sure wish I had a set of manuals!

5. rottenronnie

Message Sent

6. DublinOH

I think I figured out my problem. I pulled the back of the headliner down and the sun shade had been pulled past the last "bow" support. Therefore, the back support was bottoming out on the shade at 3/4 closed. I stuck some wood wedges between the support and shade (aka paint stick) and slid the shade back past the last support. Viola! Problem solved, sort of. I think the fabric on the sun shade is thicker than OE and is overpowering the roof. As long as I operate the shade manually, no problem - but if I let the roof slide the shade back automatically it jumps over the support.

7. rottenronnie

Nice!