CalTracs on ......................finally !

HOT RAM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After many hours of work,I have finally finished the install of my caltracs.It really doesn't take very long,but I cleaned and painted everything under the truck,painted the rotors,cleaned the inside of the wheels,cleaned the brake calipers.I also put grease on every moving part and inside the front and rear bushings as well.Maybe overkill,but that is just how I like to do things.

Everything looks better than new now.

After the final check of all nuts and bolts,I went for a test drive.Using the 1/4 turn adjustment,it still spins a lot,but stays in a straight line now.Seems to ride better and handle corners better ,too.I will try different adjustments tomorrow.

Before re-installing the billet lowering blocks from X-Metal, I used the DupliColor "anodized-look" paint ,red of course.They look SWEET ! I also left the shackle bolts loose until I set the truck down and THEN tightened them up.Truck sits much lower now !!!Rides better,too.

Correct...that is the way Marty at X-Metal set them for me...I have not touched them since.

Roy

WILDMAN

I turned mine 1 turn after contact. It still spins like crazy but does pull straight.

Wade

:needpics: ...........................................................................................
................................................................................................:eek:

belgiumbarry said:
:needpics: ...........................................................................................
................................................................................................:eek:

Don't I know it !!!!!!!!!!! I bought a digital camera just for use here on the forum,but still don't know how to use it.:eek:

Rides better (read smoother,less jarring) feels better (less jumpy) in corners,hooks better but not sure how much better.Truck does seem to be moving ahead although spinning and before it would just sit and spin .Still barks 2nd hard ,though.

I would recommend them for anyone thinking about getting them.

Only thing I noticed was a "chattering " ? sound from the rear now.Maybe the springs "squeaking" Very high speed chattering,like a squirrell on crack.Not loud and not happening all the time,but it is there.Maybe there prior,but I didn't notice.Although,when I first installed the lowering kit last year,I noticed the same sound.It must go away after a while ? The truck sits lower in the rear now.Maybe because of the snubber spring being removed,maybe because of letting truck down on wheels before tightening shackle bolts ?In any case it looks way better.

CalTracs a re a good mod ! :rock: :D

...try this......

If you have the Caltracs and are wondering "how much" they are actually doing......try this.

In a safe area with no small children behind you, put the truck in reverse and spin the tires.....you will get axle wrap soooooooooo bad! Warning, don't do this to much, or you will begin to permanently deform your springs.(don't worry, it would take repeated massive amounts of axle wrap to screw it up.) Now put it in first and try spinning them, notice how "smooth" it is. If you are spinning your tires while launching, throttle back a bit and let the tires bite, then ease back into the throttle! PRACTICE!!!!!:D

HOT RAM said:
After many hours of work,I have finally finished the install of my caltracs.It really doesn't take very long,but I cleaned and painted everything under the truck,painted the rotors,cleaned the inside of the wheels,cleaned the brake calipers.I also put grease on every moving part and inside the front and rear bushings as well.Maybe overkill,but that is just how I like to do things.

Everything looks better than new now.

After the final check of all nuts and bolts,I went for a test drive.Using the 1/4 turn adjustment,it still spins a lot,but stays in a straight line now.Seems to ride better and handle corners better ,too.I will try different adjustments tomorrow.

Before re-installing the billet lowering blocks from X-Metal, I used the DupliColor "anodized-look" paint ,red of course.They look SWEET ! I also left the shackle bolts loose until I set the truck down and THEN tightened them up.Truck sits much lower now !!!Rides better,too.

Mine Launches Like a beast and keeps it planted in each gear:rock:

RAMviperIFFIC said:
If you have the Caltracs and are wondering "how much" they are actually doing......try this.

In a safe area with no small children behind you, put the truck in reverse and spin the tires.....you will get axle wrap soooooooooo bad! Warning, don't do this to much, or you will begin to permanently deform your springs.(don't worry, it would take repeated massive amounts of axle wrap to screw it up.) Now put it in first and try spinning them, notice how "smooth" it is. If you are spinning your tires while launching, throttle back a bit and let the tires bite, then ease back into the throttle! PRACTICE!!!!!:D

Thanks for the advice !!!! :D :rock:

HOT RAM said:
Can you set them too tight ? If yes,would that make the rear sit higher than normal ?

Yes,they can be tightened too much.

See post "Lowering blocks for use with CalTracs" in the X-Metal section

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back