Cat delete and stock exhaust question..sorry if it's been answered already

kickinassrt-10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read several post regarding cats, deletes, mids, simulators, ect and honestly I'm a little confused. I live in florida so I have no emissions testing here. First real questions is how do you delete the cats, do I take it to a local muffler shop and have them cut out cats and install a piece of exhaust pipe in it's place? Also can I delete all 4 with the stock exhaust system, and would that be real loud? I plan on buying a catback exhaust system one of these days, as for now I'm only looking for a little more sound from the factory exhaust so thinking maybe I should only delete 2 cats? I read great post regarding simulators and am wondering if I need them if I remove 2? I know I need them for removing all 4. Also if I remove 2 it seems like I need should go with the back cats. I'm just looking for some answers I guess in simple terms for me...lol
Thank you all so far it's been great being a member!!

kickinassrt-10 said:
I have read several post regarding cats, deletes, mids, simulators, ect and honestly I'm a little confused. I live in florida so I have no emissions testing here. First real questions is how do you delete the cats, do I take it to a local muffler shop and have them cut out cats and install a piece of exhaust pipe in it's place? Also can I delete all 4 with the stock exhaust system, and would that be real loud? I plan on buying a catback exhaust system one of these days, as for now I'm only looking for a little more sound from the factory exhaust so thinking maybe I should only delete 2 cats? I read great post regarding simulators and am wondering if I need them if I remove 2? I know I need them for removing all 4. Also if I remove 2 it seems like I need should go with the back cats. I'm just looking for some answers I guess in simple terms for me...lol
Thank you all so far it's been great being a member!!
deleting just the back 2 cat's do not require sims......... on the other hand, it doesn't really help all that much in regards to HP like removing all 4...... you have to find a muffler shop that will do this kind of work - not all will.
deleting all cats will make it louder, but if you have an '05 with the resonator & muffler - it won't be that bad.

having them cut out is probably the cheapest, you could also buy catless mids from JMB too:

http://jmbperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=66_113_94&products_id=273

Last edited:
I ran last summer with all 4 cats taken out and it was louder outside(very bearable),but very little noise increase inside the cab,but if you want real load add a magnaflow catback to that again. I'm running a whole different set up for this summer.If your looking for a little louder I would start there:)

Another option is to remove the rear cats and install hiflows on the front. As the others said you will not need sims unless you remove the front cats. Some muffler shops get touchy when dealing with cats. I would get online for one of the local forums and ask where to go.

Most exhaust shops wont cut them out at least not 'officially'. You can purchase bolt on catless mids or with HF cats. I have B&B mids with HF's, 20rwhp and 30ft lbs increase.

You probably going to have trouble finding a shop that will cut them out since they can be fined $10K by the feds. You can also be fined.

I have a muffler guy....got the rear 2 cut out today and it wasn't that bad not much louder but noticeable (not in cab), also noticed a little more throttle response...thinking about going all 4, since I can notice throttle response!!!

TNVIPER said:
the front 2 will give you the most gains power wise..
I know but I wasn't sure how loud it would be and didn't feel like messing with the 02 sensor today! :marchmellow:

So I got a shop that will cut the cats for me and make the mid pipe as well. My question is where do I get the simulators?? If I'm getting 2 cut then I'm getting them all and I just need help with what to do with the O2 sensors. I think I read where someone zip tied them and left them hanging. Also haven't got my tune yet and I heard that the SCT will take care of the O2 sensors. I see just about everyone has this done so I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem with back pressure? I do have the stock headers for now. Thanks for any help with this.

SPACEMONKEY1 said:
So I got a shop that will cut the cats for me and make the mid pipe as well. My question is where do I get the simulators?? If I'm getting 2 cut then I'm getting them all and I just need help with what to do with the O2 sensors. I think I read where someone zip tied them and left them hanging. Also haven't got my tune yet and I heard that the SCT will take care of the O2 sensors. I see just about everyone has this done so I'm thinking there shouldn't be a problem with back pressure? I do have the stock headers for now. Thanks for any help with this.
drop by autozone or advance and buy two sets(4 individual) of spark plug anti foulers, the attendant should know what they are, and you need the size to fit your sensor whole, what a 3/4? but take two of the foulers, one of them you need to drill out so the sensor will fit in it, then put the two together. what you want to acheive is putting the sensor out of the air steam.
but basically what you end up with is two antifoulers together, with the upper one drilled out so the sensor fits . then into the oem placement

Stinker said:
drop by autozone or advance and buy two sets(4 individual) of spark plug anti foulers, the attendant should know what they are, and you need the size to fit your sensor whole, what a 3/4? but take two of the foulers, one of them you need to drill out so the sensor will fit in it, then put the two together. what you want to acheive is putting the sensor out of the air steam.
but basically what you end up with is two antifoulers together, with the upper one drilled out so the sensor fits . then into the oem placement

Thanks Stinker!!! I also found a "how to" with images online
http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-how-requests-questions-tips/114931-how-install-spark-plug-anti-foulers-remove-ses-cel-light.html
At first I was like WTF are you talking about? This article helps out a crap load. Now I just need to find someone who will drill the damn things once I get them. Man I love living in Texas, but damn they are strict with the exhaust regulation crap, because of the state inspection.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back