Catch Can Smoke

sublimeswinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had my catch can for a while now, it still smoke like a mother F'r, will this ever stop, really starting not to like it. Not to mention the moisture build up in the tube. Any idea how to fix this?

I think its a common thing my catch can and my oil cap breather both smoke not a lot though. I get a lot of moisture in mine cant read the tube anymore drain mine at least once a week

The oil mist should be minimal. Even when hot you should only just barely be able to see it. My 06 Ram had just under 30K, had it since new. (Almost). My 06 Viper (28k) is the same, however it's easier to smell in the car.

You seem to have excessive crankcase pressure. How many miles on your motor? May be time for a leakdown..

On a side note, I need to get a sock over the breather on my catch can. The smell is enough to ruin a nice drive..

Last edited:
I have the same thing going on. Just turned 50,000. Engine runs like a top but constant vapor out of the breather if I am driving it, once a week clean out. I just figured it was normal.

mine has the same problem i freaked out the first time i seen smoke but everybody insured me it is normal.

Well there is only one way to stop the issue, you'd have to switch to a closed oil can system like the Monster RX one.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/rx-monster-catch-can-63374/

Other wise enjoy the vapors.

Right you are Earl.
I think a sealed system is the only way to go!

With a smooth bore finish, an S/S low-drag ring setup and boogety-boogety cam grind, mine used to smoke like a Mother; which after spending considerable time and money on a fresh-engine build, wasn't in the program. It looked like I had a small under-hood fire the way it smoked between the fender and hood waiting for a light to change.

And then there was that stink..

So I installed a sealed Monster RX system:

NO Smoke/Vapours
NO Stink
No Air Intake/Throttle Body Oil residue
NO Knock-Sensor action caused by low-octane oil vapours
YES on staying Cleaner longer crankcase oil
YES on collecting the crap that normally ends up in the crankcase or Intake

Last edited:
83k on motor, Had a leak down and have a bad valve seal and rings.

The oil mist should be minimal. Even when hot you should only just barely be able to see it. My 06 Ram had just under 30K, had it since new. (Almost). My 06 Viper (28k) is the same, however it's easier to smell in the car.

You seem to have excessive crankcase pressure. How many miles on your motor? May be time for a leakdown..

On a side note, I need to get a sock over the breather on my catch can. The smell is enough to ruin a nice drive..

83k on motor, Had a leak down and have a bad valve seal and rings.

On the plus side you have plenty of shops in CA that can rebuild your motor, so what are you going to do? Just a top end refresh or put some money into it?

When my piston rod bent, I just did a top end refresh and replaced the bad piston and upgraded the rod bearings. Mine caught me off guard, I planned to do a heads/cam package in the future but at the time the money wasnt right.

I'm just going to rering it. Can't afford a forged right now. Will also have heads worked with 5 angle valve job, new guides, shave the head new springs, push rods and cam.

On the plus side you have plenty of shops in CA that can rebuild your motor, so what are you going to do? Just a top end refresh or put some money into it?

When my piston rod bent, I just did a top end refresh and replaced the bad piston and upgraded the rod bearings. Mine caught me off guard, I planned to do a heads/cam package in the future but at the time the money wasnt right.

I run a catch can on the Ram and Viper. I removed the filters on the top and placed a 90 degree elbow on it and ran a line to the bottom of the car so I don't smell the fumes.

If you guys go with a Monster R/X can, it comes with a restrictor for one of the primary vacuum hoses.

It's important that it's used.

I did the R&D for this unit for the Viper engines and if you don't use the restrictor, it will suck an alarming amount of oil from the passenger valve cover in a very short time.

They work really well and are worth the price.

If you speak directly with Tommy (R/X Sales), he may cut you a wicked deal!

PS I Have NO financial affiliation with Tommy, nor RX.

Last edited:
I run a catch can on the Ram and Viper. I removed the filters on the top and placed a 90 degree elbow on it and ran a line to the bottom of the car so I don't smell the fumes.

It scares me putting that oil mist near the path of the tires, or even near. I've also thought about running one to the back...Where did you route yours on the car?

That sounds like a good idea. I might try that.

I run 2 Moroso cans, both mounted to frame rails.
Each can has a petcock to drain underneath.
No issue with smoke/smell at all.

Attachments

• cc.jpg
    cc.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 39
It scares me putting that oil mist near the path of the tires, or even near. I've also thought about running one to the back...Where did you route yours on the car?

I have a small JMB catch can mounted on the front cross brace and the line pretty much goes down from there. The end sits next to the filter behind the A arm.

My solution to the catch can potentially allowing "fumes" into the cabin was to fabricate a road tube that also allows for drawing out the crankcase pressure under vacuum. As road speed increases, so does draw. Simple and effective.
0316170637-1_zpsctfxngdy.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back