code 123

shorty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Know it is the TPS but that I just replaced. Acting crazy on the highway----smooth then down shifts, then back to normal. In neutral hit the gas and back to idle very slow. Worked fine after the TPS for a couple of weeks now this. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

The info above is in "shorthand" but...

Disconnect the battery cables (both) and touch them together for a second or two.
Even though you've replaced the TPS doesn't mean the ECU knows that yet. It is likely still working off the bad information the defective TPS was sending it.

Ronnie, did not work. Same code 123 and coughing worse than ever. How likely is the TPS bad after only a month and 2,000 miles? It came from O'Reilly and usually their stuff is fine. A lemon maybe? Could it be anything else?

Idle Air Controller. Either find a way to test it or replace it.

Ronnie, thanks for all the help-----my BAD. The TPS i installed last month-----I did not get it as tight as I should have, it was sucking air. Installed the new one, reset by touching the battery cables and man----all is well. This is the reason 72 year olds need a good mechanic. Can't believe in the 10th grade I completely overhauled a little 4 cylinder Willis jeep, still running to this day on a ranch in West Texas. Now I can't even properly install the TPS. Oh well, all's well that ends well. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Shorty: I'm not all that far behind you at 65.
I'm glad you got it sorted.

I was out-witted by a lawnmower carburetor, years ago. It was so simple, I couldn't figure out how it worked!

I'm glad you found your problem and fixed it.

Running real good----gonna have the plug wires replaced next week after 120,000 miles. Recommendations for the wires?

I have tried several brands of wires over the years and in spite of them being rather thick and colorful, they don't seem to last any longer than o.e.m.

In fact, I've had defective aftermarket wires right out of the box which is something I've never had with o.e.m.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back