Dyno Advice needed!

IH8CHVYS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok heading out to a dyno war on Sat 12/15 and was looking for some advice from you guys! Gonna be on a DynoJet Chassis machine.
My current perf mods are:
150 Shot(Digitally controlled and starts hitting in 2nd gear at wide open throttle),X-Metal Stage II,Centerforce clutch,Bassani Headers,Catless mids,3" magnaflow exhaust,4:88 gears,Mopar CAI.
I'm sure there are numerous things to consider.........so what do you suggest?
I was told what the approx. numbers were but yet to see them on paper so pretty excited to see the results:rock:
Thanks
Ernie

Last edited:
Safety issues first:

Check the tie downs (every one of them yourself).
Check your oil before the pull.
Be sure you have a good tune.
Be sure that you are getting maximum air from the fans at the front of your truck. Air is life...

Before the pull, be sure that the dyno operator knows that you will put down well over 400 hp. I recently told an operator that I would put down about 620 hp...he thought I was full of BS and set the top of the graph (mustang dyno) at 500...the pull was a waste. Recorded 502 hp at 4280 rpm...

Don't do the pull unless you are going to get a printout...that is the true evidence.

Most importantly, dyno pulls are just that...a mathematical computation...

Don't assume that if you put more hp and tq to the ground that you can whip someone else...the track is a whole different animal.

Prof covered everything very well, except one thing.

NEVER. EVER set the e-brake on a dyno. :)

And not all dynos are equal...many things effect the dyno readings...operator error can give high/low readings..has the dyno had the recommended maintenance?......the track is the best and most accurate measure of power...good luck...hope your numbers turn out better than you expect..

Roz-SRT said:
Prof covered everything very well, except one thing.

NEVER. EVER set the e-brake on a dyno. :)

Well, I thought Steve would chime in on that caution...I thought that he was the owner of that approach to making sure that no one would want to race him...

If your going to Vengeance Racing in Cumming Ga., they pulled my truck and a few others on this site. Good guys out there.

walenator said:
If your going to Vengeance Racing in Cumming Ga., they pulled my truck and a few others on this site. Good guys out there.
Same. Great guys there! More of a Corvette/Chevy place so don't be too tough on them. I tuned out 96 more ponies on their dyno. Posted their shop somewhere on this forum.

Let us know. We will try to meet you there (if you are going there).

If ya want killer dyno readings there is a couple things you can do.

one is put in fresh oil, prefeably a 0-20w or even less, and leave it one quart low.

lower the air pressure in the tires about 10 psi.

take along a 25lb of ice and ice down the intake jsut before the run.

Make sure the e brake is really really looose.

make sure the truck has cooled down to almost cold before the run.

jsut a few trick to post big numbers

Stinker said:

one is put in fresh oil, prefeably a 0-20w or even less, and leave it one quart low.

take along a 2225lb barrel of ice and ice down the intake jsut before the run.

Make sure you old lady is really really looose.

we will have to try these tricks next time:D :D

Stinker said:

take along a 25lb of ice and ice down the intake jsut before the run.

Make sure the e brake is really really looose.

Right on:rock: this is what i was looking for! Thanks man

Bone said:
Same. Great guys there! More of a Corvette/Chevy place so don't be too tough on them. I tuned out 96 more ponies on their dyno. Posted their shop somewhere on this forum.

Let us know. We will try to meet you there (if you are going there).
Yea guys that is exactly where i am going, had my tank filled there a couple times...... although it's all Chevrolet there they seem to be really cool!
C'mon up Bone a little support might be good with these guys.......hehehe

Last edited:
IH8CHVYS said:
Yea guys that is exactly where i am going, had my tank filled there a couple times...... although it's all Chevrolet there they seem to be really cool!
C'mon up Bone a little support might be good with these guys.......hehehe
Maybe I can pull Taliban Dan's Fiero, I mean Camero up there again for some more tuning.

I left them my VEC software the last time up there. I don't know if you are using the VEC?

Vengeance will take care of your tires, tie downs, fans, etc. They won't leave you hanging. It can't hurt to bring ice or dry ice. Pick a cold day if you want.

I haven't had mine at Vengeance but Modular Powerhouse (Cartersville) has done some pulls with mine. They are going to start tuning Vipers in the very near future. Tim is one of the top mustang tuners, and loves our trucks. We'll see what he can do with Vipers.

Ron at Vengeance is a good guy as well. Hopefully I'll make it to a dyno wars sometime, they started that after I moved to Savannah so its a little harder for me to get up there.

Joe

Apply power to the ground

K what works Im at 700 ,,,,,, Trackoin bars and adj Shocks....what works just short of slicks?

Dan

dan440 said:
K what works Im at 700 ,,,,,, Trackoin bars and adj Shocks....what works just short of slicks?

Dan
Are you asking about the track or on the dyno

Well about 450 on all engine, it seems a little low to me what do you think?
Again my performance mods are Bassani headers,catless mids,3"magnaflow exhaust, and X-Metal stage II.
The pulls he did with the spray are garbage because he was only at 600psi.
It was pretty cool to go down and participate but just to busy around there......they were throwing them on and off pretty quickly! I am going to make an appointment at another shop so i can make some pulls with the correct psi on the spray system and a little more layed back atmosphere.

Attachments

• Dyno 001.jpg
    Dyno 001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 30

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back