Engine had a bloody hiccup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jeffrey F Maanao, Aug 16, 2021.

Car Parts
  1. Jeffrey F Maanao

Jeffrey F Maanao New Member

So I started my stock 2006 quad cab with 67k miles after sitting for almost a year, warmed it up to temp check, oil pressure check, battery voltage check, rpm check, opened electric cutouts check, neighbor karen walks out check, closed cutouts, and backed out of carport unto main street check lol... drove around the block to next street over down the culdesac, made a U-turn to return home and right before the traffic light, 1st sound observed seemed like a broken spring? rod knock? piston slap? then............. loud metal clanking and engine stalled. Pool of coolant followed by pool of oil ;D Contacted towing then talked to Tony from JTSVP explaining the situation. AAA'd baby home for inspection and found the big hole displaying the guts inside cylinder #4

Looking for all suggestions on parts and proper route to take on re-awakening this beast! All help is greatly appreciated!

Rebuild time (engine only, transmission in the future)
    Live in California and am not a big fan of their smog laws
    Budget of about $15k to invest (assuming $3k-$5k on labor alone)
    Fully forged (NA)
    +80hp -90hp (100 max!)
    Looking towards overall power, more in the torque-side end and not so much on horsepower
    Pump gas friendly (will be daily driver once resurrected)

Thanks ya'll!

2. Kiwi SRT10

Kiwi SRT10 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

So sorry to hear what happened. Just an idea. Try looking at the Gen4 8.4l later model engine with 600hp standard. Or a Gen5 645hp Save building and modifying.

Wifey, Jeffrey F Maanao and AMS3 like this.
  3. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Agreed.

After a major, AND if you want more power like you indicated, my advice would be to go with a more modern solution like the Gen IV.

You are going to have to repair the block, the crank and whatever else took a shit-kicking when your rod let go so your repair costs can easily get up there to fix it properly and you would kind of be back to where you were anyway when you were all done.

The BIG win with the Gen IV route are those beautious cylinder heads (where the power is made) that will outperform ANY ported Gen III heads by a wide performance margain.

However, you would still be lacking forged pistons and rods with a Gen-IV swap; unless of course you put those in and rebalanced the new stuff. You don't necessarily NEED the forged stuff as it starts getting expensive.

You have some decisions to make...;)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  4. Jeffrey F Maanao

Jeffrey F Maanao New Member

Appreciate the feedback! So Gen IV then, question now about electrical, ecu, etc. I will do more research on it after work. Thank You!

Wifey and Kiwi SRT10 like this.
  5. oldcolt

oldcolt Striker Heads and Cam Supporting Member

There was a GEN 4 conversion kit offered a few years ago from MOPAR. The price came down quite a bit from when the kit was introduced.

6. Wifey

Wifey Artificial Wifey Intelligence Supporting Member

So sorry to hear of her blowout! The new engine sounds like the way to go at least it will be the most current thing going and new is usually better than repaired especially given the mileage she has. Good luck keep us posted!

Kiwi SRT10 and Jeffrey F Maanao like this.
  7. shirleyjp86

shirleyjp86 Active Member

Holy cow! Something like this is my worst nightmare, as the money involved is beyond what I could muster. I wonder what could have caused this with on 67k on the clock?

8. Kiwi SRT10

I hear ya. That would be the end for me too.
    Old...na. Mine still has the hone marks in the bore like new at 74k miles

Wifey, AMS3 and shirleyjp86 like this.
  9. shirleyjp86

shirleyjp86 Active Member

I've heard others say that after pulling the heads, that they could still see the honing marks - that's freaking cool! In the event of a catastrophic engine failure, I wonder what a 10 with a blown engine is worth? I'd assume $8-10k?

10. AMS3

AMS3 Well-Known Member

Hey Kiwi, what's this nonsense I saw on the news yesterday that NZ is on lockdown due to one case of the bug?

11. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The OEM rods are reasonably tough BUT I've heard of ONE letting go on a Gen III at low rpm.

Another possible scenario:
    Detonation easily destroys a piston and when they eventually get crooked in the bore as they come apart, the rod still pushes and pulls on it until the piston can't go up and down anymore.
    At that point the rod will look for an escape route (like out the side of the block).

12. Kiwi SRT10

Yep but they were not being honest. It is now 10 cases and we will see what happens tomorrow. It is starting to look bad. This hopeless govt has only managed 20% vacination of the population. It is pathetic and now they have let this in from Australia. We are coming up to age 60 this year and we are only just being allowed to book a vacination now for at the earliest 2nd Sept. Jacinda is useless...but she is being kind. We need results not kindness

Wifey and AMS3 like this.
  13. Kiwi SRT10

Low octane poor quality CHEAP fuel I suppose. It may have got too expensive to put Cal fuel in the truck

Wifey and AMS3 like this.
  14. Kiwi SRT10

Lockdown, Lockdown, What ya gunna do, What ya gunna do when they come for you (bad boys)
    Make it worse I dropped my phone yesterday and the screen went mostly dark so I can't use that. Who knows when I can get that fixed or replaced. :(

rottenronnie likes this.
  15. AMS3

AMS3 Well-Known Member

Yeah, had another buddy get the bug back in July, put him in the hospital for a week. he still has shortness of breath if he walks a little distance. I'm getting the Moderna jab next Tuesday, his illness finally pushed me over to the darkside to get it.
    I understand about the age thing, I'll be 58 this Sunday. How time flies, LOL!

Kiwi SRT10 likes this.
  16. AMS3

AMS3 Well-Known Member

Well that sucks! Hopefully you can get it fixed soon.

Kiwi SRT10 likes this.
  17. Sigma-Wildcat

Sigma-Wildcat Active Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your RAM SRT-10.

Srt10650 and AMS3 like this.
  18. Kiwi SRT10

11 new cases today. Now 21 cases with 2 in hospital. Here we go

AMS3 likes this.
  19. AMS3

AMS3 Well-Known Member

Be careful over there. I just hope I don't have some adverse reaction to Moderna, like a third eye, or three arms.

20. Kiwi SRT10

Thanks Bill. We are safe at home. We shall see how it all unfolds in the next few days. In the meantime I have pulled the laptop apart and ordered 8GB RAM and a 1TB SSD. Got all excited and pulled the desktop computer apart ordered 8GB RAM and a 1TB SSD for that too, also a 4 port USB3 card. Tonight I removed the buggered screen from my Samsung phone and ordered a new one. Saved a bunch of money. Probably $1500 saved. So I am busy....ish.

Wifey likes this.