Engine Swap

Discussion in 'Forum Requests' started by swa737flyboy, Feb 2, 2019.

1. swa737flyboy

swa737flyboy New Member

Hello, I’ll get right to the point. I’m the original owner of a 1998 Ram (Gen 2) truck (20 years old) with the 318ci (5.3L) engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. Quad cab body suicide doors 8’ bed with a posatrack rear end. All leather Captains chairs, basically loaded. I installed a Good Hood cowl induction hood 18 years ago and the 318 loves it, especially on cold days. It’s got 228,000 miles on it and I drive about 2000 miles a month back and forth to work from my home to Houston Tx down I 10 averaging about 85 mph, it runs like a champ and has given me no problems. I’ve maintained it myself and do have a mechanical background. In 5 years it will be an antique and I would like to make it a show truck to enjoy on the weekend with my son. The 318 has been a great engine but instead of going back in with another 318 I would like to do a complete swap of the engine and drivetrain and install the 8.0 L V10 with the 6 speed manual transmission. Is this an “easyâ€￾ swap that will slide right in since the V10 was an option on that truck in 1998 or will this require modifications of the engine and transmission mounts and other modifications. A new harness and computer are on the list as well as all new engine accessories. If anyone has done this I would really would appreciate your input or advice. Thank You.

2. oldcolt

oldcolt Striker Heads and Cam Supporting Member

The cast iron V10 is a completely different engine from the aluminum V10; you may want to check on a regular RAM forum. Not sure if anyone on here has done a swap on an older truck with a cast iron V10. Good luck with your project! :)

ViperJeff likes this.
  3. viperhauler

viperhauler Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Terrible idea to use a Gen1/2 engine anyway as many of the parts are unavailable...
    Aside from the fact that they’re completely different blocks.

4. Slitherbeast

Slitherbeast Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think a 6.4 HEMI swap will be easier and more enjoyable

5. THEWELSHM

THEWELSHM Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think your a masochist.....:)

thewelshm