Few questions about diff service

Jimlah

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just about to 30k, so its time to replace the rear differential fluid. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can answer

1. Do I need to put blue locktite on the bolts before puting them back in?
2. I have some blue RTV, will that work, or is there something better?
3. The service manual says to fill the diff to 3/4" below the fill hole +/- 1/4". How do we measure this? I know it should take 2.8qts, but how do I confirm that its full but not overfull?

Thanks for the help. :)

fill it till ya can sstick ya finger in the hole and get it dirty:D is a good reference, insert finger, angle it , if its wet, your good:p

boy am I gonna hear back on that one:D

and blue works good, but I like using black rtv myslef

but too, I got a guy checking on us some stainless differential bolts to , to replace the oem rusty ones

he jsut hasnt gotten back to me yet:mad:

Don't have to remove the diff cover, it has a drain plug. 3 ouarts of synthetic diff fluid and you are ready.

FATJACK said:
Don't have to remove the diff cover, it has a drain plug. 3 ouarts of synthetic diff fluid and you are ready.
Maybe he wants to clean it out:dontknow:
And be sure to add 2 bottles of friction modifier ( the book says one) but 2 are recommended :D

Wifey said:
Maybe he wants to clean it out:dontknow:
And be sure to add 2 bottles of friction modifier ( the book says one) but 2 are recommended :D
Do you need the friction modifier with synthetic fluid? I have been meaning to ask this question.

90% of rear axle fluids now come with modifier allready in the fluid, mobil 1 an royal purple both allready have the friction modifier in theres

FATJACK said:
Do you need the friction modifier with synthetic fluid? I have been meaning to ask this question.

when we do customers diff services with synthetic we usually don't pit any modifier in unless on the road test it chatters around corners so then we add some. I personally don't use it where possible I had the problem of adding to much modifer and the clutches failed on a hard launch.

The manual says, 5oz of friction modifier. I will check and see if the Mobile 1 140-90w has it in there already. Thanks for the advice guys.

I've been using 75w140 Royal Purple in my SRT for 2 years and no problems. No other additives are in it and I change it out every spring.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back