finally decided on a cold air intake

kcsr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after spending way too much time researching the cold air intake options, i finally decided on one.

Volant - the reviews appear to be very mixed on this one. after reading about potential problems with air flow to the hood scoop at higher speeds, and problems with engine compartment heat if the hood scoop is blocked, i passed on this one. fwiw, i've had exposed intakes before (had a bottom feeder on my C5), so i wasn't really worried about any issues with water on this one.

K&N - people seem to like it, and the price is much better than the Volant. looks like a proven design too.

filter replacement - quite a few people recommended just replacing the filter with a higher flowing model from K&N, S&B, etc. this is definitely the cheapest option, but i want max HP gains (or at least the coolest intake hissing noise coming from the engine bay).

so, i went with the JMB Performance CAI kit.

the JMB design is similar to the K&N design, but i think the JMB will have better air flow, and it is MUCH sexier than the drab looking K&N kit. ordered mine in gloss red. the price is about the same as the K&N kit, and JMB is a supporting vendor here, so the decision was easy in the end. also, JMB's customer service has been great so far.

http://www.jmbperformance.com/

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan

Now, Get er Done

the JMB kit is definatly sexy, good choice. make sure to take some pictures after the install!!!! :D

The JMB kit was not out when I did my truck, if I was going to do it today I would go with the JMB as well.

Bill.

Good move I hade a volant for awhile, swaped it out with one of Justins + the catch can dont know if either make much power but it sounds better & cleans up the engine compartment.

kcsr said:
after spending way too much time researching the cold air intake options, i finally decided on one.

Volant - the reviews appear to be very mixed on this one. after reading about potential problems with air flow to the hood scoop at higher speeds, and problems with engine compartment heat if the hood scoop is blocked, i passed on this one. fwiw, i've had exposed intakes before (had a bottom feeder on my C5), so i wasn't really worried about any issues with water on this one.

K&N - people seem to like it, and the price is much better than the Volant. looks like a proven design too.

filter replacement - quite a few people recommended just replacing the filter with a higher flowing model from K&N, S&B, etc. this is definitely the cheapest option, but i want max HP gains (or at least the coolest intake hissing noise coming from the engine bay).

so, i went with the JMB Performance CAI kit.

the JMB design is similar to the K&N design, but i think the JMB will have better air flow, and it is MUCH sexier than the drab looking K&N kit. ordered mine in gloss red. the price is about the same as the K&N kit, and JMB is a supporting vendor here, so the decision was easy in the end. also, JMB's customer service has been great so far.

http://www.jmbperformance.com/

And you'll get 1 additional rwhp :D

CAI

Yah, I didnt know about JMB when I got my K&N. If I had to do it over again Id go with the JMB. Much prettier.

Perry

Great choice.....love mine....installed the JMB decal linear on top of the CAI tube and it looks great.

Congratulations!

oldguy

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back