Guy wants to buy my RX8 overseas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Demon 8, Sep 20, 2008.

Car Parts
  1. Demon 8

Demon 8 New Member Supporting Member

I need some help here to see if this is legit. The guy contacted me on the RX8 club and says he owns one and his buddy wants one and likes mine. He has agreed to the selling price and is asking how we move forward because he is serving our country in Italy and would need it shipped there. Anyone ever done this and how do I do this and protect myself???

2. tone

tone Member Supporting Member

never done it, heard of it, but im sure it cost some bucks, i am a licenced captain and im sure there would be alot of regulations, check out this site. they can probably answer alot.:) http://www.shipmyvehicle.com

3. ctsrt10

ctsrt10 Full Access Member

its simple. once he agrees to the selling price and pays for car its up to him to find a shipper over there(italy) you drop the car off with the paperwork(on the usa side) he will most likey send you and walk away,if you need to ask any one ask nyc steve he just sent his truck to germany the nighrunner that is. oh you still in new york and are you comin to the the beach gtg

4. JRSVIPR

JRSVIPR New Member Supporting Member

You should also talk to some of the members that are in other countries,Some of them do this type of stuff often.

5. Demon 8

Cant
    Things are still too unsettled...especially financially right now. After I get a job and get all moved in I will be there to meet all the northerners!

6. Demon 8

Please chime in.
    So he is responsible to pay first then how do I get him the title, how does he feel secure with the transaction

7. tone

the problem is the money/car exchange, how does the guy pay for the car without recieving the car. how would that work, both parties will be skeptical of that im sure.

8. ctsrt10

if i had the room in my truck id pick you up and pay for it oh well theres always next time

9. ctsrt10

i think you can do though a bank like a trusted funds or something along them lines he dont get the money till the title is handed over demon ill p,m you nycsteves number he can help you

10. Demon 8

I hope someone that has done this reads this

11. tone

http://www.shipmyvehicle.com
    did you check out the web site i posted for you?

12. Demon 8

Yup
    I sent the guy an email with the link.
    I believe that would be his responsibility and I would just have to get the car to the nearest shipping yard which I believe would be the port of tampa and that is close to where the car is so it shouldnt be a problem.
    Thanks

13. Chuck B

Chuck B Full Access Member

Many escrow company's will handle this transaction for you. Safe for both parties as 3rd person actually handles the transaction.

14. nycstev

nycstev Full Access Member

Yea like I said Let him handle all of this. An escrow company would be the best way!

15. rmn22ajr

rmn22ajr New Member

Ok I just did this and shipped the car to Zurich Switzerland. Absoulutely the car needs to be paid in full by the buyer, typically a wire transfer into your account, or if a payoff is involved on your end the funds could be wired to your lender. Call them and they will advise on this issue - maybe two wires if you have equity in your car.

The real issue for the buyer is the title must be in his name prior to the car leaving the USA and then for arrival into the buyers country of delivery. Your responsibility is just to, provide a "Bill of Sale", odometer statement typically on the title, sign the title to buyer and he and or his agent can take it from there. Shipping is his issue - you just need to be available to hand the car over to shipper - they will pick up from an agreed upon location and handle it from that point.

If the buyer does not send someone by, in the USA, to inspect your car I would be concerned. Do not release the car until paid in full NO MATTER WHAT THE ISSUE IS and the funds have cleared your bank.

The Buyer will have to pay shipping fees, potentially taxes in the USA, foreign taxes , duty, VAT etc.. in the foreign country of residence. Still with all the extra costs the price may still be good for the Buyer.

GO SLOW AND JUST BE CAREFUL WITH AN INTERNATIONAL TRANSACTION - MANY SCAM ARTISTS OUT IN THE WORLD.

16. BriteCrawler

BriteCrawler Full Access Member

Do not ever give them bank info to be wired to. Ever.

Talk to a bank about escrow, they will hold funds agreed upon by the buyer and seller to be released when both parties are mutually happy with the transaction.

17. Demon 8

Good advice
    The guy hasn't contacted me again after saying the price was good.

18. nycstev

Why not ? Wire transactions take place all internationally all the time. I 've done it a zillion times. Its the fastest and most econmical way to make transactions.

19. Chuck B

Chuck B Full Access Member

Careful thinking you can wait till funds clear...banks can and will come back and reverse funds if there is a problem. I've had it happen to me and yes that was after my bank held funds then released them to me. About a week later I got the call....bank wanted 'their' money back. Thats why I always use and escrow company. They take the responsibility not you.

20. nycstev

LMFAO...what kinda bank you have..?They wanted their$$ back...GTF...:D