Headers Clarification

stephen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys i'm no expert when it come to exhaust.
I want to put some headers on my DD, 06, QC, i currently have a Magnaflow system. My problem is i dont understand what is this cats, no cats everyone is talking about. What is better long or short tube, I'm from Massachusetts and i want it to be legal so i can pass emission inspection, any input.
Thanks.
Steve

well its different in all states but my setup that i have is belanger long tube headers that bolt up to high flow cats (previous owner deleted the secondary cats that dont have an o2 sensor) then magnaflow out the back.

Long tubes make better power then shorts do,and for "cats",they are the catalatic converters on your exhaust,if you look at the side of your engine you will see the exhaust mainfolds bolted on the side,follow the exhaust piping down from manifold and about aprox. 10" down there will be a buldge in the pipe about aprox. 6" long thats your primary cat and keep following it down the pipe comes down and has a good curve giong back up around a crossmember and another buldge thats your secondary cat,for guys that need to meet emissions,if they want more flow they pull off both cats and put in "high flow" cats(one on each side),hopefully this helps you out.

stephen said:
Guys i'm no expert when it come to exhaust.
I want to put some headers on my DD, 06, QC, i currently have a Magnaflow system. My problem is i dont understand what is this cats, no cats everyone is talking about. What is better long or short tube, I'm from Massachusetts and i want it to be legal so i can pass emission inspection, any input.
Thanks.
Steve
Hello Steve, I live in MA as well.... you can put any style header you like on the truck so long as you have cats in order to pass emissions as well as all your o2 sensors in place. no big deal bruddah... nice to see another fellow masshole 10 owner:rock:

Long tubes will give a little more power (5-10 HP) but cost almost twice as much...about $800-$1000 more.......not worth it IMO......but used ones come up for sale often at about half the cost of new..

I have the same magnaflow too and love it, you can usually get a used one on ebay or cragislist. I wanted a valid warranty so I got it here. Magnaflow 10703. Also some of the forum sponsors usually have a sale going on. Either way its a great exhaust system, sounds great, and very easy to install.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back