Help with bolt size

Troy's QC SRT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have stripped my bolts on my driveshaft yoke clamps.....I would like to replace them with a better bolt that wont strip as easy like a ARP 12 point like one on this page
http://www.allensfasteners.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamCat=74

Whats the easiest and most accurate way to determine the correct bolt specifications? The service manual does not have bolt specs or anything that i can find....

Im just not sure how they break down the bolt sizes and how there measured....

For example this is how there bolt sizes are listed: 1/4-28x1-1/2 12 point flange-bolt

now this is what i believe.....
1. The first # in the above example (1/4) is the head of the bolt size
2. not sure what the second #(28) is
3. third # (1-1/2) is the size of the shank on the bolt.....size not including the head of the bolt just the size of the part that will screw into the part

Please correct/help me out me if i'm wrong.....

The oem driveshaft yoke bolts shank is 3/4" (measured from bottom of bolt head to end of threads) and the bolt head size(socket) is 5/16.... dont know the diameter of the head of the bolt which should also be an important factor to insure it fits....

ok thanks alot Wes....this is what a member posted on another forum and i got what i need ordered!

1/4-28x1 1/2.

1/4 inch is the diameter of the bolt.

28 is the threads per inch. This sounds like a fine thread, rather than a coarse thread, so the threads are going to be tight and close(machined) and not spread like a wood screw, kind of..

1 1/2 is the shank.

Look for "Grade 8" bolts, they are the toughest for them U-joint clamps.

Just take the busted bolt, or a whole bolt if you have out to the auto parts store, and tell them you need four with this thread and size, but grade 8 bolts.

12 points just give a 12 point socket a better grip on the head.

6 point cater to the 6 point socket.

The even have allen head and Torx bit ones. Just whatever preference you have in removing them.

so...you got it figured out, yet?:D

yup and dropped my driveshaft off at a local shop here to have them replace the u-joints and center bearing....should be picking it up monday :rock:

Still waiting on some other parts before i get her running again though :argh:

you do a better job breaking it then you do putting it back together! :aetsch:

ha ha whatever....so far ive swapped out the intake manifold, valve covers with new black bolts/washers, rockers, pushrods, installed catch can with braided lines, loosened up exhaust and take off hangers to fix an exhaust squeak, remove front wheel well liners to clean/paint them, changed oil/filter remove driveshaft to have u-joints and center bearing replaced, installed shorty billet antenna, Tony's billet engine dress up caps and swap out headlights!

all this has been done in my garage over since last week! just waiting on some parts to finish her up :rock:

so kiss my ass sucka!

oh and i have more stuff being worked on ;) it's all visual stuff so no worries.....i wont be any faster!

I'm not worried, its still a QC :aetsch:

here's me scared:

funny-pictures-scared-cat-naked-guy.jpg

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back