Hood scoop insert

Not sure if you were around back " in the day" but there was a huge study with wind streamers and videos of the front of the truck showing wind flow etc, and they proved it quite well that there is vary little ram air effect.
And there was actually more suction of the streamers up and away from the intake vs any of them being " rammed" into the intake...

And even if there was an effect at a 100mph there is something like 1psi of pressure " and you had the proper intake to receive the pressure" you might gain 1psi if your well up and above the speed limit ...

Found and old article on it here are some comments

any reasonably well designed scoop will convert 100% of the air's kinetic energy into a pressure which increases as the square of the speed. At 100 MPH, this would be 0.176 psi, or ~ 1.2%, thus ~9 HP on a 750 HP engine. e.g., because of the squared factor, it would be 0.7 psi/4.8%/36 HP at 200 MPH.

No sir wasn't here in 04,05,06 and dug for years for conclusive results and found none. Wind streamers.....no I'm talking wind speed, pressure, actual electronic instruments used to measure. I understand aerodynamics and the smoke trail would come up over the grille a few inches, not feet! I don't care if it makes 1 psi or just even equals atmospheric pressure would give you a boost ;-)

Ran Air From Hood Scoop?!?

I've posted this before on other threads...

aero42.jpg

Here is a NASCAR wind tunnel High / Low pressure image... Red = High, Blue = Low. Out trucks would be even more dramatic with the more square shape...

NASCARintunnel_000.jpg

No Ram from hood scoop, not ever.

The largest benefit fron this scoop is reducing the "Parachute" effect at high speeds from the engine compartment. It helps the splitter keep the front end pushed down.;)

Last edited:
So from the looks of it, the scoop would need to be right at where the ram head emblem is right at the very front of the truck to really have any hope of having a ram-air effect, in terms of the SRT-10. Granted that is a regular Ram in that picture, but I'm sure it generally is representative of how the air flows over our trucks.

So from the looks of it, the scoop would need to be right at where the ram head emblem is right at the very front of the truck to really have any hope of having a ram-air effect...

OR, you get your scoop up above the laminar flow (Just like the scoops on NHRA Pro Stock cars)

Actually, as mentioned SO MANY times on our site, the stock system works pretty good. Rule #1 for ram recovery, you have to slow down the incomming air charge to obtain pressure above ambient. The right block off scoop in the grill takes a "slice" of high velocity air from a high pressure area and feeds it into the fender well. The air then slows down and gets damed up by the sound deadend inner divider panel (you can see it by looking past and above the headlight assm. w/ a flashlight). This is effectively our "airbox". High volume air, slowed down and trapped. Our filter box has a pre-determinded intake size (which has to be smaller than the intake tube) that draws from this area of SLIGHT ram recovery air that also happens to be as cool as the outside air. Secondarily, the filter box further slows the air by slight expantion. The engine then draws with intake pulses from there.

This is overall a very good design and better than most. BIG airbox, decent expansion of high volume - high velocity air, coolest charge possible and proper length of our intake tube.

Pretty hard to beat.:rock:

OR, you get your scoop up above the laminar flow (Just like the scoops on NHRA Pro Stock cars)

Actually, as mentioned SO MANY times on our site, the stock system works pretty good. Rule #1 for ram recovery, you have to slow down the incomming air charge to obtain pressure above ambient. The right block off scoop in the grill takes a "slice" of high velocity air from a high pressure area and feeds it into the fender well. The air then slows down and gets damed up by the sound deadend inner divider panel (you can see it by looking past and above the headlight assm. w/ a flashlight). This is effectively our "airbox". High volume air, slowed down and trapped. Our filter box has a pre-determinded intake size (which has to be smaller than the intake tube) that draws from this area of SLIGHT ram recovery air that also happens to be as cool as the outside air. Secondarily, the filter box further slows the air by slight expantion. The engine then draws with intake pulses from there.

This is overall a very good design and better than most. BIG airbox, decent expansion of high volume - high velocity air, coolest charge possible and proper length of our intake tube.

Pretty hard to beat.:rock:

I agree its a pretty good effective use of space and many don't fully understand the dynamics of air flow/volume. However, in our summer time temps I'm a bit surprised how high the intake temps get. Its picking up a lot of radiant heat from that fender area (so I would guess). Doesn't help that my truck is painted black. I should IR my fender just to see what it gets up to but I'd guess over 180F when our ambient temps soar well past triple digits.

That was pretty interesting! I always believed it was for cooling, but thought air came into the scoop. Definitely good info. Will have to check my hardware as I had no idea they flew off that easily. NSDQ send me your phone number so we can meet up, now that you are back. Jake moved to Ft Rucker while I was at JRTC, so no way to contact you on here.

I've posted this before on other threads...

aero42.jpg

Here is a NASCAR wind tunnel High / Low pressure image... Red = High, Blue = Low. Out trucks would be even more dramatic with the more square shape...

NASCARintunnel_000.jpg

No Ram from hood scoop, not ever.

The largest benefit fron this scoop is reducing the "Parachute" effect at high speeds from the engine compartment. It helps the splitter keep the front end pushed down.;)

On my first 10 while driving home from the dealer (80 miles) my entire scoop assembly came flying out. Yep, the front not sucked into the engine compartment. The plastic little “CSâ€￾ grill and the plastic piece that holds the grill in place. The assembly and grill are something like $345 unpainted from Dodge. The above posts make since iffen the air was flowing in and the grill comes loose then stands to reason the grill would suck into the engine compartment rather than flying forward then up over the roof. I ain’t smart but even my kid (she really ain’t smart---female, Aggie lawyer) can figure that one out. :D

Maybe Vararam needs to look into making something for our 10's???????

A setup along the lines of the hemi one, direct ram air through the front bumper. I have the oe setup dipped and don't plan to change unless a better option comes.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back