How to tell if my truck has been tuned???

kennygene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really never looked into this before. I have owned my truck for almost 2 years. I noticed it has a Magnaflow cat back and K&N drop in filter.

The question is the tune. I thought it had a stock tune until I read a post on here about the rev limiter. Can anybody tell me for sure how to tell if I have a stock tune or has it been changed?

Truck is a 2004 rc.

If it has a BG or DC Perf pcm it should have a sticker on the pcm saying "For Offroad Use only" or something to that effect. If it has been tuned with the SCT you probably won't be able to tell.;)

When my son's 04 was tuned. The stock shift point was 5400 rpm,now it is 5900 rpm. If that helps.

ViperTruck2933 said:
If it has a BG or DC Perf pcm it should have a sticker on the pcm saying "For Offroad Use only" or something to that effect. If it has been tuned with the SCT you probably won't be able to tell.;)
That's right DC. did my son's.

No stickers but the rev limit is 6,000 rpms - is that normal?

10banger said:
As far as I know you have had some sort of flash or PCM replacement. 6,000 RPM's is not stock rev limit.

That's what I was trying to find out. Somebody told me stock was 5,500rpm. Do my hp/tq numbers look normal ofr a cat back, tune, and drop in? (see sig)

i would think a easy way of telling is when your fan comes on... if it kicks on at 170 than its tuned

hcetzneb said:
i would think a easy way of telling is when your fan comes on... if it kicks on at 170 than its tuned
My son's is at 170 but Torrie did mine and i didn't do that so mine looks stock if you look at it that way.

Thanks fellas, I think the fan does kick on at 170. I know I just installed a new 170 tstat and it still had the original so at least this wasn't done with the tune.
I am still having problems with the truck going over 200 degrees. The hydraulic fan setup sucks!!!

I always thought the Stock Rev. Limiter was 6050, atleast thats where mine cuts out at with NO tune just Catless and Magnaflow...

Srt10ram said:
I always thought the Stock Rev. Limiter was 6050, atleast thats where mine cuts out at with NO tune just Catless and Magnaflow...

Are you sure your truck has not been tuned?

kennygene said:
Are you sure your truck has not been tuned?
I'm pretty damn sure, because when I bought it last
November it had 3800 miles, completely stock, and
the owner said he recently had to get a replacement
PCM from Dodge because the old one took a crap....

However, I do know that the quad cabs have a lowered Rev Limiter i guess because of the shift points.:dontknow:

Maybe some other regular cab owners will chime in on this?

and i don think any of the tunes change the rev limiter pn the qcs it just changes the shift points...not much to really be gained by a tune on a rc....un less you put it up on the dyno and even then results will be minimal

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back