Interior Blower Fan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NettlesD, Jul 23, 2018.

Car Parts
  1. NettlesD

NettlesD Full Access Member

The interior blower fan that blows air out your vents is making a horrible sound. It sounds like a piece of paper is trapped inside and the paper is hitting the blower wheel.

We have an Oldsmobile Aurora that we drive everyday and it's easy to put some paper in the glove box and that paper gets behind the glove box door and ends up getting wedged so the blower fan hits it.

I'm just wondering if I have the same situation. Or, that's not possible and the fan is broke and needs to be replaced.

Is this something you can do at home or does a dealership need to do it? It's simple on the Aurora since it's only one bolt and the glove box comes off and you can see inside the blower assembly. Not sure if that's possible on this vehicle.

2. trussman

trussman Active Member

Your blend door likely broke loose and fell into the fan. 3 screws hold the fan in. Take them out and unplug the fan. I bet a plastic door falls out.

3. NettlesD

Thanks. Is there a how-to on getting to the blend door? What exactly am I taking apart? On the Aurora, I just unbolt the glove box door.

Sorry, just not familiar on what I'm suppose to do.

4. trussman

trussman Active Member

To change the blend door you will need to remove the dash....no I'm not kidding. A quick temp fix is to use gorilla tape to tape it to the recirculate position. I did this on mine 2 yrs ago and haven't gotten around to ripping my dash out.

5. NettlesD

Gotcha! Ok, but can you tell me what I'm taking apart to use the tape. What exactly am I doing? Removing some door? Under the dash I"m unbolting something? I just need to know what I'm doing so I can do it.

6. IronAffliction

IronAffliction Full Access Member

7. NettlesD

Good video. I'll have to see the video again to see if I can do it. Now I know where I need to go.

Ok, went back and watched the video again.

Steps I need to do
    * Remove Glove Box Door
    * Remove fan motor
    * Stick hand up inside where fan motor was
    * Pull out blend door
    * Use tape to tape it in the open position (or maybe that's the closed position...not really sure what position is the recirculate position)
    * Put fan back in
    * Put Glove Box Door back on

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  8. NettlesD

Ok, four years later and I was able to remove the three screws holding the blower motor in. I reached up into the hole and I was able to feel the blend door just kind of laying in there.

I'm guessing it only goes into one spot? While holding the blend door with my hand and moving it around it felt like it only fit into one spot. One person said to tape it. So, I'm taping it shut to this one spot? No air comes through it? Is that what I'm doing?

9. Theone

Theone Member Supporting Member

I was able to replace the blend door without removing the dash. It’s a little tricky but it’s doable. You can get the part from blenddoorusa.com the part number is 3rd Gen Ram (02-09) Recirculation Door (DT-3962-Y)

TXThumper, Kiwi SRT10 and AMS3 like this.