Jeep 5.2L T-Stat

StinkyLinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for a second opinion. Replaced my 1995 jeep water pump, radiator, t-stat, and hoses this weekend. I didn't look closely prior to install, but NAPA thinks 180F thermostat is "OEM Temperature", where really it is supposed to be 195. I installed the 180, and it is running cool for sure. So, what is the problem running cooler? Engine could try to richen the mixture, therefore consuming more fuel. It has been in 2 days, and is a pain in the a** to get to (have to remove alternator, a/c compressor and main accessory bracket. Gut says replace it to OEM temperature. Thoughts?

I prefer mine to run cooler and have done so for 25 years on everything from 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl and obviously my 10. My reasons are plentiful and here are a few.
1. Cooler engine performs better whether carbuerated or FI. There are many maps in the PCM that are based off temperature and intake air/ambient air temps. Timing is taken away the hotter these get. :(

2. Condenser heating due to radiator placement. The cooler we have the radiator/condenser, the cooler your A/C

3. Oil breakdown is more prominent the higher the temps. I like my oil temps to be around my coolant temp of 185. Your cooling system setup efficiency is directly correlated to your oil temps and degradation.

4. Electrical wiring and components! They hate heat and will turn looming and wiring brittle and cause nightmares chasing glitches later down the road. The cooler the engine, the longer the these wires stay soft and bendable.

5. Quicker cool downs between laps racing (for us that race)
Makes a works if difference cooling down from 210 versus 185. That's 25* cooler. The closer you are to the boiling point of your water (212*)in the system the longer it takes to cool from that point.

Now the couple drawbacks....

1. In the winter your heat will not be as hot. Now is it got enough to warm your ass, yes! Plenty warm enough, but not as hot as stock.

2. To remove condensation naturally occurring in the engine, you'll have to drive longer. In other words if you have a short 5 minute commute to work and home and rarely go anywhere else, you'll not burn off the condensation as fast. If you change your oil regularly this is no issue but you'd still be better off running around 200* in this instance.

In a nutshell, :wavey:

Thanks V1R. The jeep is definitely not a racer, lol. The main thing you said that peaked my interest was "short commutes" and condensation. That's this vehicle in a nutshell. Got it to drive to work in the winter snow, and on the gravel parking lot (neither are "10" friendly). Probably going back to stock temperature, and quick, before my gasket is permanently cooked on again.

Thanks V1R. The jeep is definitely not a racer, lol. The main thing you said that peaked my interest was "short commutes" and condensation. That's this vehicle in a nutshell. Got it to drive to work in the winter snow, and on the gravel parking lot (neither are "10" friendly). Probably going back to stock temperature, and quick, before my gasket is permanently cooked on again.

No prob bud. I honestly think you're great with a 185 to split the difference in all the above mentioned benefits. If you threw a 160/170 in there id say change it. Personally I'd leave it be. ;)

agreed..... no problem with cooler t-stat. Just high speed fan won't kick in until the normal set temp so you might find the temp fluctuate during summer months.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back