Limited Slip clutches/Spider Gears

Discussion in 'Performance Mods' started by trussman, Dec 18, 2016.

1. trussman

trussman Active Member

Who here has replaced their limited slip clutches and spider gears themselves? Has anyone done a step by step how to? There really isn't a halfway decent shop around that I'd take the truck to, so, I figured if it is gonna be done and have the risk of being messed up, that I might as well do it. Anyone made a homemade compressor tool for the clutches? All constructive input is appreciated. I already have the clutches and spiders from JTSVP. I've had em months but I'd like to knock this out over my Christmas break.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• LSD.jpeg
      LSD.jpeg
      File size:
      151.5 KB
      Views:
  2. ARRESTmeRed04

ARRESTmeRed04 Active Member Supporting Member

I think ironhead did a write up a long time ago

3. Slitherbeast

Slitherbeast Well-Known Member Supporting Member

have the manual. I could email to you, just need an address. wasn't to difficult to make the tools required.Need the tool to spread the housing or you won't get the cage and shims back in. easy to make if you have a welder. You will also need 2 round plates, one tapped 1/2"NC and the other just center dimpled. ( i went 3/8" plates and 1/2" threaded rod). With the new clutchpaks in place,you will use the makeshift plates to compress the clutch paks. then bolt an axe to a rim and stand it on end. splines up. install cage assembly on top of splines. the then rotate the spiders into place by rotating the cage. don't squeeze the clutch plates so tight that you can't move the cage around the axle. I have no pics after the spider gears are in you need to remove the cage from the axle to remove the compressor tool. have fun!!

Attached Files:

4. trussman

trussman Active Member

That'd be awesome.
    [email protected]

Thanks!