Looking for a good 48re transmission

QckSlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been a really long time since I’ve posted here, or anywhere but it’s the home for the big girl

Just shy of 80k miles and the tranny needs replacing, I’ve looked through the forum on searches and I’m not sure of where to turn to get a good replacement transmission

can anyone help point me in a direction

yes I’m keeping it an auto

thanks for any and all help

I'd recommend a diesel shop that has experience with the 48RE rather than a generic Transmission shop.

Been a really long time since I’ve posted here, or anywhere but it’s the home for the big girl

Just shy of 80k miles and the tranny needs replacing, I’ve looked through the forum on searches and I’m not sure of where to turn to get a good replacement transmission

can anyone help point me in a direction

yes I’m keeping it an auto

thanks for any and all help
Go online and look up X2 Builders.com

At least you know what you have when you get your own rebuilt. Unless you are in a hurry..
The 48RE has been around for a while now and unless you are grabbing a warranted exchange (newly rebuilt) unit, do you really want a unit that "was working perfect when we took it out" (?)

If you are going to use it for performance use, there are several things that can/should be done.

They don't have much overbuild in their design so if you are considering adding 100 horsepower or so down the road, have some better components than stock installed.

Where are you located I have my stock 48re with about 78k miles on it. Swapped for a built trans

I have 1https://www.heritagebooks.org/puritandoc?mc_cid=3f00657072&mc_eid=f554c36667 25,000 on my rebuild and strong as ever. But, never on the track and only use it as a DD and race a few clowns now and then. Rebuilt in Stafford Texas by the guy that builds Hennessey (I know all about Hennessey) but this guy is great. Will look and see if I can find the name of the rebuilder. I know he got his parts including the TQ converter at PACT in Louisiana.

So the story is, dealership put 7 quarts too many into my tranny and now it’s broke.....max care from mopar says it’s clearly the dealerships fault, they aren’t covering it, now dealership and max care have to fight it out but.....

no one can find a good tranny, LKQ had one with 99k on it, but from looking on the forum last night I did happen to reach out to X2 and they have one from a 20k mile truck for $3k

so I sent that email to the dealership today and said better get this one before someone else does

I’m in south FL and someone is buying me a transmission

I did contact a few of the old shops that specialized in our trucks and the well built rebuilds are $6k so I don’t think that will work for dodge, but $3k might, but I didn’t break it, and my truck has 78k miles on her so somebody is fixing it

Overfilling causes the fluid to go all foamy (like a latte') and it can't lubricate properly. Don't forget to replace your convertor too. Now would be the time to get a 2600 stall in there as it will make your truck feel like it lost several hundred pounds.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back