loud engine clunk @ startup

jsandlin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
went out to start my truck and a loud metal clunk is heard and it sound like everything just locks up :dontknow: There is no cranking at all and nothing turns over just a loud noise. Anyone know whats going on? It threw an engine code but im just waiting to get an OBD meter to read the code.

another note** I had my master/slave cylinder replaced last week. have driven about 300 miles since then and have had no issues. maybe flywheel locking up>???:dontknow:

I did Tony. think they are related? The engine light went off after I gapped it though. Was hoping i did it when i was putting it in.

jsandlin said:
I did Tony. think they are related? The engine light went off after I gapped it though. Was hoping i did it when i was putting it in.
The motor sounds like its locked up bro :(

jsandlin said:
went out to start my truck and a loud metal clunk is heard and it sound like everything just locks up :dontknow: There is no cranking at all and nothing turns over just a loud noise. Anyone know whats going on? It threw an engine code but im just waiting to get an OBD meter to read the code.

zero crank? that doesnt sound good at all....sounds like time for a rebuild:(

Damn dude... doesn't sound good:(

What mods do you have? Are you boosted? spraying? How many miles?

Justin first off, dont get scared yet, there is no telling what is wrong, something could be up with the clutch install.

but anytime anyone out there pulls a plug on one of these engines, please find out why it did it, DO NOT SHRUG IT OFF AND INSTALL A NEW PLUG PLEASE

all you have to do is visit a shop, let them run a scope into the cylinder to check it out and do a leak down test.

but back to you justin.

dotn crank it over anymore, if there is cylinder damage you will make it worse.

best thing to do is to get ahold of a good shop close, or have toole or arrestedme09 or someone close with mechanical experience to check it out.

first the tranny needs to be pulled back and looked at.

or remove all the plugs and see if it will turn over by hand.

there is a possiblity that whomever installed your clutch botched it up.

its easy to do, and with you jsut doing the clutch install , that is wehre I would start buddy

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
Justin first off, dont get scared yet, there is no telling what is wrong, something could be up with the clutch install.

but anytime anyone out there pulls a plug on one of these engines, please find out why it did it, DO NOT SHRUG IT OFF AND INSTALL A NEW PLUG PLEASE

all you have to do is visit a shop, let them run a scope into the cylinder to check it out and do a leak down test.

but back to you justin.

dotn crank it over anymore, if there is cylinder damage you will make it worse.

best thing to do is to get ahold of a good shop close, or have toole or arrestedme09 or someone close with mechanical experience to check it out.

first the tranny needs to be pulled back and looked at.

or remove all the plugs and see if it will turn over by hand.

there is a possiblity that whomever installed your clutch botched it up.

its easy to do, and with you jsut doing the clutch install , that is wehre I would start buddy
tony what else cold cause the plug to lose its gap??? is there anything else like extreme heat then the electrode loses its tensil strength and closes gap from just from cylinder pressure?? just seein if there is anything else that could explain the closed plug;)

im gonna have to call you with a cc my pp is still down:(

505'sFastestViper. said:
tony what else cold cause the plug to lose its gap??? is there anything else like extreme heat then the electrode loses its tensil strength and closes gap from just from cylinder pressure?? just seein if there is anything else that could explain the closed plug;)

im gonna have to call you with a cc my pp is still down:(
I aint worried aobut you petey head:D

but I supppose there could be, but his engine is oem, not many mods, soooooo yeah, prob a worst case situation:eek:

if I remember right , crap! what was his name?the guy iwth the sts turbo?

anyway had a plug the same way, couple weeks later it was at kmc or whomevers shop getting new pistons

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
I aint worried aobut you petey head:D

but I supppose there could be, but his engine is oem, not many mods, soooooo yeah, prob a worst case situation:eek:

if I remember right , crap! what was his name?the guy iwth the sts turbo?

anyway had a plug the same way, couple weeks later it was at kmc or whomevers shop getting new pistons
i know and i know how much these cost to fix thats why i let the hemi guy have it!!!!!! hell the engine build will cost more then a dm hemi truck!!!

got the pp:rock:

but yessir, the viper is not a cheap baby to build bro:eek:

and do it correctly, Justin dammit! :p

go get a case of beer, (bud light)
one half gallon of crown
a twleve pack of red bull
one pack of marlboro lights
one lighter
one gallon of kerosene
one gallon of diesal
one gallon of gasoline

mix the crown and red bull
shoot it down with bud
smoke the entire pack
mix the kersene, diesel, gas together pour on truck, light with lighter,

and giggle your ass off:D

no use in being upset bro, cant fix it at the moment, so dont worry till ya know exxactly;)

well Ryan (Fahrenheit) met me at my wharehouse where the shop is and we pulled the plugs and they looked fine. It sounds pretty bad. I turn over the engine and the interior lights drop out. I was hopeing that it was something in line with the starter or the flywheel locked up. Guess I wont know until I drop it again. I have 40,000 miles on the truck and dodge put in a new engine at 18,000.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back