MAGNAFLOW X-PIPE or X-muffler!!

Yellow venom

Boosted Venom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple questions!!
In debates on my exhaust,I am goin with 3" stainless steel mandrel bent and am debating on if I should go with an X-pipe and two straight through magnaflows or just the catback X-muffler?
Would there be much sound difference if I went 3 1/2" from the mufflers back?Deeper mellow sound?
I am also debating on adding cutouts while I am at it? (NOT electric)
And where bouts does the bung need to go for the wideband Air/Fuel gauge sensor?:burnout:

Talk to Bone.He is using the Aero Turbine mufflers.Much better tone than MagnaFlow.An X-pipe will help the sound and tone.

Aeros are less expensive than MagnaFlow,also.(at least the oval ones are,not sure about the round ones)

A magnaflow catback with cats has a great tone. When cruising you dont really hear it except when you mash the pedal. With magnaflow and cat delete you hear it all the time, in every gear.........even sixth gear. Your truck will be loud with the cats gone, make sure thats what you want. I thought the magnaflow catback had a x pipe built into it. Hope that helps you out.

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
A magnaflow catback with cats has a great tone. When cruising you dont really hear it except when you mash the pedal. With magnaflow and cat delete you hear it all the time, in every gear.........even sixth gear. Your truck will be loud with the cats gone, make sure thats what you want. I thought the magnaflow catback had a x pipe built into it. Hope that helps you out.

patrick

Yeah the Magnaflow catback has the x-pipe in the muffler,I am thinking of putting an X-pipe infront of two magnaflow sraight through mufflers then 3 1/2" pipe after the mufflers to give it more tone or deeper sound?:)

With headers and catless mids, I dont think you will need anymore tone! Seems like a lot of work for something that you will get from the headers and catless mids already. If I remember correctly Hot Ram took off his magnaflow and put back on the stocker cause it was too loud for him (local troopers too) with catless mids. Is your exhaust all stock at the moment? If so, each item you add will increase tone and volume. One reason I have not added headers is I dont want it any louder. My sh#t is loud now.

patrick

Here is my plan...

I am going with two 3" magnaflow muffs (part# mpe-11249 from summit), catless mids, and H-pipe before the mufflers. I am going to use 3" header collectors at the end of the mid-pipes, before the mufflers, for easy change out from catless to factory mids (might need to pass inspection one day). I have cat-back magnaflow now, so I will use the 3" mandrel bent tail pipes from that.

...have everything in hand, just waiting for my clutch to arrive, and to install...then going straight to the muffler shop. Will post pics and sound clips when complete.

not trying to whore the thread or anything, just giving you more ideas. :D

also....might want to research about X-pipe designs...there have been reports of lost performance using these. I experianced the same problems with a 92 mustang 5.0L I had....dropped the X, then went to H...better performing and better, smoother sound. It's probably a matter of personal preference.

HOT RAM said:
Talk to Bone.He is using the Aero Turbine mufflers.Much better tone than MagnaFlow.An X-pipe will help the sound and tone.

Aeros are less expensive than MagnaFlow,also.(at least the oval ones are,not sure about the round ones)

Actually an "H" pipe works great for me.

A well designed X crossover is much superior to an H pipe.

The magnaflow 3" catback system does have an X pipe in it.
But it is necked down to 2 1/2 inches inside which is too small if you have any mods or plan too.
The MagnaFlow muffler is small and too loud for my tastes. I had a MagnsFlow catback on the red truck and had Richard (RPM Muffler in Vista, CA) fabricate a 3" system from scratch. I am using a Bassani one off muffler with a true 3" crossover in it, Works great and the sound is awsome.

The hot set up would be to use an X crossover such as a Bassani and a couple of Bassani, Magnaflow, or DynoMax mufflers.

H pipe is OK but is old school and the X is better for torque and HP. It also seems to make the exhaust deeper/richer sounding exhaust note.

I went to Jegs and checked out the Magnaflow true 3" Xpipe (part# 642-10792). That is a nice looking product...better than what I had on the stang. It's hard to let go of something that has worked so well in the past, but I try to continue to look for better technology. I may consider this product in my exhaust build, after some more research. Thanks for the info FSTJACK.

Last edited:
FSTJACK said:

But it is necked down to 2 1/2 inches inside which is too small if you have any mods or plan too.
The MagnaFlow muffler is small and too loud for my tastes. I had a MagnsFlow catback on the red truck and had Richard (RPM Muffler in Vista, CA) fabricate a 3" system from scratch. I am using a Bassani one off muffler with a true 3" crossover in it, Works great and the sound is awsome.

The hot set up would be to use an X crossover such as a Bassani and a couple of Bassani, Magnaflow, or DynoMax mufflers.

H pipe is OK but is old school and the X is better for torque and HP. It also seems to make the exhaust deeper/richer sounding exhaust note.

I agree...the X pipe is the way to go but what type? After exhausting research I made a VRS Xpipe for the Z rather than a True X. Now if i can figure out how to fab one for the truck.

Westxsrt10 said:
I agree...the X pipe is the way to go but what type? After exhausting research I made a VRS Xpipe for the Z rather than a True X. Now if i can figure out how to fab one for the truck.
I was looking at the Bassani site,Check it out.

FSTJACK said:

Thanks for the info Jack,I didn't know the the magnaflow muffler was downsized inside to 2 1/2"! in the X !:rock:

Back