Major Body Modification

toofast_28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, i DO own a Dodge Ram SRT-10, but it was wrecked before i got it, so what am i doing owning it? Pulled everything usable off of it and putting it in a 1949 Chevy. Bought the chevy in full running condition and stripped it to the frame. Wanted some real HP under the hood and the Dodge was simply half the price of what i was going to spend on the LS3, T-56, ford 9", and if you add the other parts i am using i saved about $14,000 by buying the SRT-10 and using parts. Started in December, had to "pause" for 4 months as i am in Iraq 1 Mar-1 July for work. here is how it looks now. Used motor, trans, rear end, brakes, going to use the pedals and seats as well as a few other SRT parts to finish this beast. 265/35/20's up front, 305/25/22's on the rear, mustang II front IFS, all on air bags. Dropped stock ride height a full 12 inches, and when its done the running boards will sit a 1/4" off the ground (don't wanna scratch anything) with the air out of the bags. here are some pics, enjoy or bash, its still a SRT-10 at heart!

Attachments

• IMG_0255.JPG
    IMG_0255.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_0432.JPG
    IMG_0432.JPG
    710.6 KB · Views: 495
  • IMG_0498.JPG
    IMG_0498.JPG
    840.4 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    776.7 KB · Views: 694
  • IMG_0479.JPG
    IMG_0479.JPG
    818.5 KB · Views: 595
  • IMG_0488.JPG
    IMG_0488.JPG
    897.1 KB · Views: 496
  • IMG_0482.JPG
    IMG_0482.JPG
    710.7 KB · Views: 721
  • IMG_0497.JPG
    IMG_0497.JPG
    848.5 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0496.JPG
    IMG_0496.JPG
    832.2 KB · Views: 650
Can't say that I can complain one bit about an SRT finding new life, regardless of the make of vehicle. Should be a really nice ride when done, man! I'm looking forward to seeing this coming to fruition.:rock:

looks cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

when the title said major body modifications, I thought you were talking about breast implants...which I have found to be the best modifications.

I plan on having it done about September, going to be like a new car inside and under the hood with an old body on it. DVD Nav, back up camera, keyless ignition, shaved handles (keyless entry), digital dash, auto turn on HID headlights, air bags (remote controlled), heated leather, 6 speed, adjustable pedals (from SRT), SRT brakes all around. Bought the wreck for $7000 and it was still driveable (bent frame), was a steal in my eyes. Brakes alone were going to cost me $6000! I'll make sure to post some progress pics, dad is working on some things while i am stuck in the "sand box".

Major Hurdle

This is the biggest hurdle fitting the firewall around the engine and transmission, which actually won't be, i can make any thing fit! Narrowed the rear end a whole foot (Mosier did the axles).

Attachments

• IMG_0493.JPG
    IMG_0493.JPG
    566.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0491.JPG
    IMG_0491.JPG
    798.8 KB · Views: 323
make sure you have the front suspension set up for the weight. T56 & viper motor are fairly heavy.
looks sweet!!

WOW!! I love this. Be sure to keep us informed on the progress. This thing should be a ROCKET. How much do you think it will weigh? We have 5000 pounders running in the high elevens. Please keep us posted.

BurntRubber said:
make sure you have the front suspension set up for the weight. T56 & viper motor are fairly heavy.
looks sweet!!

2500 lb air bags on each side of the front, completely adjustable from inside the cab (digital control), have the motor set back pretty good, I come from a racing background (dirt late models), everything is heavy duty enough on this truck, and I'll do my best to get as close to a 50:50 weight distribution when she is ready to roll, i know some tricks, and i am counting on the full tank of fuel and Oak bed to help offset what is needed. That motor is all aluminum except the rotating assembly, I pulled a cast iron headed SBC and 350 Turbo out of it "googled" weight of 575 lbs, viper (gen 3) weighs in at 500, 350 Turbo weighs in at 125 lbs, T-56 about 135. I know neither of these is the Inline 6 that came in the truck (440 lbs), but im dropping 65 lbs on the front end and have it set back father (a full 12" thanks to the extra cylinders). I think i am in pretty good shape, it will take some fine tuning though.

I am aiming for 3500 lbs and think i will have no problem obtaining that. Cab is about 400lbs with doors, frame is 300ish, 635 lbs in motor and trans, 500 lbs rear end, wheels are 250 total, then throw all the gadgets, other body parts, interior and fluids in and i still have 1700 lbs to play with and a 18 gallon tank (125 lbs of fuel). Worst case i am seeing 4000 lbs. Oh, its cammed with 4.88 gears too, I'm never going to hook it up!

Front suspension should be good, 2500 lb air bags, everything is heavy duty enough, the engine weighs 500 lbs, tranny is 135 lbs. Small block chevy is 575 lbs and 125 lbs for a T350 trans. Inline 6 out of it would have been about 440 lbs, no idea on the 3 speed trans weight. Its set back about a full foot due to the extra cylinders so i should get decent weight distribution, especially with the fuel tank behind the rear axle and an oak bed. I used to race dirt late models, i have some insight as to how to get the weight distributed correctly when needed. Full air bag control inside the truck to make on the go adjustments as needed as well. This thing was all done by me, its straight as can be and everything measured within 1/32", i don't forsee any problems getting her to go down the road like i want.

Ram From Hell said:
What part of 1949 CHEVY do you not understand?:p

He meant like a rock! :rock:

I apologize as I skimmed and never realized it was a Chevy!

Talk about an ASSumption. I took a quick glance and saw FORD:confused: Sorry!! Much better CHEVY TOUGH WITH VIPER STUFF!! Or " Like A Boulder"
Either way, great fabbing and ideas. It will be a beast.:D

Very cool idea. I've got a '50 Chevy out in the shop and for a second you had me thinkin' about pulling my Viper Truck apart (just a second). I've already got the drive train for the '50 so the "10" is safe. Definitely keep us posted with lots of pictures.

that is gunna be one sick sled when its done...ideas for colors?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back