Much better day at the track...BUT

Dave T(BADVENM)

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, Dan Cragins blower flash made a world of difference at Bandimere today. For specifics, density alt 8100 to begin the day falling toward 7800 by the time we left.

I'll summarize the first several runs then get more specific. First run was no cool down as I basically ran straight from the highway getting there. Tires 35psi. Anyway, 2.298 60' with a [email protected]

I lowered the tire pressure a bit more each of the next 3 runs and shifting around 5500 rpm. Density alt remained around 8000 ft. Times dropped to a [email protected] mph with a 2.189 60'. I'm still shifting into 4th gear.

I'm starting to smell 13.x second runs so I'm getting more aggressive with the dry burnout and upping my rpms closer to 1750 or so for launches. A friend who's been racing for quite some time suggests I up my shift point to 6K. I do and snatch a 14.000 at 103.39 with a 2.199 60'.

Finally, last run of the night. I did hit the rev limiter coming out of second gear but got a [email protected] mph with a 2.212 60'.

Now, for the BUT (rest of the story).

I met a guy with I believe an '04 SRT Ram reg cab with a Pro-Charger supercharger running around 6psi with stock internals. He had shorty headers and a VEC2 system with an intercooler behind the radiator. He's also got custom 16 or 17" wheels with a drag radial type tire on them.

Anyway, we were able to line up together and race. Heres his timeslip:

Him
60' - 2.087
330 - 5.577
1/8 - 8.401
mph - 87.59
1000 - 10.850
1/4 - 12.922
mph - 109.42

Me
60' - 2.212
330 - 5.994
1/8 - 9.054
mph - 78.23
1000 - 11.709
1/4 - 13.899
mph - 103.94

Despite very similar 60' times (despite his more aggressive tire and ability to launch) he flat out kicks my butt well before the 1/8 mile. I'm starting to think I have a VERY conservative tune on my truck and theres more power to be had.

Whatcha guys think? I'm tentatively planning on shipping the truck to Dan this winter and see what he can pull out of it. The blower flash improved my times slightly over 1 second...thats the best bang for the buck I've seen in quite some time. Thanks Dan.

Anyway, he tells me he's run 12.8 1/4 mile times at Bandimere.

Well, he picked up .4 with the slicks and yea, his dyno tune versus your off the shelf tune could be worth some ponies. I would tune it via mail....dyno it at your elevation, send the dyno to DC. They send you an updated PCM, do another dyno run. It may take 3-4 times to dial it in but shouldd be better off than a getting your truck tuned at sea level. ;)

Hey...how bout Thanks Blake? I practically had to beat u to get ya to spring the 650 bucks for the WHOLE second off yer Quarter time......Flashes are THE best bang for the buck.

I was just comparing my fastest slip last night to a few weeks ago. Despite the 60' being similar my 1/8 mile mph increased 3.5mph and my 1/4 mile mph increased 5.5 mph.

It would be more cost effective to dyno the truck out in denver at altitude then send it to him. I'm not sure if Dan can adjust the programming for a higher elevation or not. I'm gonna call him anyway to thank him for this product and ask him about what needs to be done to give the truck the power thats missing.

Oh yah, thanks Blake :)

Would his supercharger be outputing more power than the Paxton? Hope he can join us here and give us input on his setup.

Paxton and Vortech= same company. The compressor on the paxton is the same size as the vortech kit i believe. Vortech doesnt offer a kit for our trucks tho....I think its custom only..

He said ProCharger, not Vortech...
I emailed ProCharger a while back about a system for our trucks - they said they didn't have anything for us and weren't planning on doing one. This guy must have had a custom install - I'd be very interested to see it. Invite him over to our little slice of heaven if you ever meet up with him again.

http://www.procharger.com/

2 guys in the Denver area had Prochargers custom installed by a guy in (Evergreen)? The silver one has already had the motor replaced and last I heard did not put the procharger back on. He(Dave) blames the installer for blowing out the rings while tuning it.
Stan with the black one is working on some tuning with a buddy of mine, but it does seem very powerful and fast at that altitude with only 6lb of boost.:burnout:
I will call him and see if he will get on here and post his mods and tune.
Late,
Taylor

Dave....you are there....your tune is not conservative.....

an 8000' DA is crazy...............CRAZY

Here....your time at 8000' = a ready for this

12.2 at 116mph at sea level.............:D that means 580 or so rwhp at sea level....you want more...you need a water/meth tune.....

Nowwhat said:
Dave....you are there....your tune is not conservative.....

an 8000' DA is crazy...............CRAZY

Here....your time at 8000' = a ready for this

12.2 at 116mph at sea level.............:D that means 580 or so rwhp at sea level....you want more...you need a water/meth tune.....

Wow, if thats the case...can you imagine what the other guys times would be at sea level? I invited him and his friends to our forum, hopefully they'll chime in. He thought maybe he had the dyno sheets in the truck but nothing. He was gonna give me the name of his tuner but didnt after the rain started. I may have to give the guy a visit and talk about what could possibly be done to my truck. The 13.889 the truck ran isnt all that far off from what my '01 Viper GTS ran a few years ago (13.2xx I believe).

So, theres a bit more in the truck if I can tweak my 60' and cleaner shifts. I'll go back later this fall when the air is cooler and see what I can pull off.

Thanks again to everyone for their insight. I'm finally content in the trucks performance (for the most part) and the fact the tune is a safe one.

Blakewilder said:
Hey Dave.....are you running with your spare and tailgate on? Try takin em off and running with a 1/4 tank or less.

I was running with everything in tact, just under 1/2 tank. Oh yah, truck weight with me in it...5050 pounds (I only weigh around 110-115...skinny guy). I did fold in the mirrors...does that count?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back