need traction advise

bmako

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to know the best way to add traction. As you know I have installed twin turbos and am having a lot of traction problems when getting on it. I want to take it to the track next tuesday, but dont want to just do burnouts.
I dont know if adding sandbags to the bed or borrowing a pair of racing slicks would do the trick Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks, bill

Jack is right...you need drag radials (not slicks)....but you better put the money towards building that bottom end first or you may be buying more than pistons & rods..;)

caltracs and radials, a 17x10 eagle 058 series, and contact M&H tire , they give the vtcoa a deal, get the 390 series, thats ya best bet.

and release the front sway bar links;) so that more wiehgt will transfer

I still want to see what those Cal-tracs are going to do. but yea brad is right ol' boy is selling some DR's

bmako said:
why drag radials and not slicks? And why not just put weight in bed?
Adding weight is never a traction soultion, transfering weight helps... There are not any full slicks that mount to a 17" rim, and that is the smallest size you can fit over our rear brakes...

bmako said:
I need to know the best way to add traction. As you know I have installed twin turbos and am having a lot of traction problems when getting on it. I want to take it to the track next tuesday, but dont want to just do burnouts.
I dont know if adding sandbags to the bed or borrowing a pair of racing slicks would do the trick Any suggestions would be appreciated.
thanks, bill

I see ya runn'in a 2005QC. How much torque to the rear wheels with the 2X turbos? Is the track a 1/8th or 1/4? Is the track, generally, cared for, for the masses or "take your best shot and pray", e.g test and tune night? Besides the motor and the added pressure helpers :D , did the auto trans have something done to it :dontknow: to help it survive? Ditto for the OEM rear and diff. For traction, caltracs, drag radials, QA1's, removing leafs, changing spring rates, disconnecting sway links all may help in one form or another, but each have there own benefit, or maybe not, IMO. Think of the vehicle as a system, you need to try and control balance, given the environment and duty cycle, to which the vehicle is subjected to. What I would start with, if funds are a problem, is to try a few test and tune sessions to get the feel of the power adder, adjust rear tire pressure (air down the rears a few pounds), and take some easy launches, low RPM, easy on the brake "stand"to get a feel on how the vehicle will react. I think simply adding sand bags to the rear won't help, except to slow ya down.

Also change your boost ratio to hit in second instead of first, allot of people forget thats almost like nos in first gear trying to take off, just a suggestion, these trucks launch pretty good so High first or second even if your spool time is high by second when it hits you'll be fliying like a rocket.IMO Truck sound like a beast.:burnout: :burnout:

Thanks for all your suggestions. I think I am going to take fastram's advice and first take it easy and do some trial runs and see how it goes. Since I dont have anything done to the internals or trans, I am not going to push it too hard. The boost is virtually the same in first and second. A lot of wheel spin, but it also gets up a moves. So I will see what happens and I will try and take a video to post here.

Turbo Ram

Bill let's go to Race Way Park on wed, Ill be running the GTR and I'll help you set-up the truck. Give me a call this weekend.

Thanks
Ralph

With the turbo I have gotten 1.8's on stock tires. Lower tire pressure for the rears, Higher for the fronts and rolling into the throttle will help. To much gas in you will spin, not enough and the truck will shift from 1st to 2nd. Just got to find the sweet spot.

bmako said:
why drag radials and not slicks? And why not just put weight in bed?

Put some fat chicks in the back and once you gain traction have them jump out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back