No Two 10's are Created Equal.. A Rant by Venom Power

Venom Power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s right. I don’t believe any two 10’s were created equal. I have come to this conclusion after watching what everyone has experienced with theirs over the years. And don’t try and say it’s because some assemblers were present at the plant one time then new ones at another; thus changing the level of quality either for better or worse, I'M NOT BUYING IT!

Case in point, let’s take a look at a black ’04 with a build number of #1898. Most of us remember this unit better as Stinker’s Brutal 10. This particular 10 has twin turbos installed and racked up low times on the 1/8 mile quite a bit. Yes, yes something eventually went wrong but it was after a long day of putting it down hard representing at the track, and certainly it wasn’t the tranny that failed. Now, let’s look at a build just two consecutive numbers away.. #1900… Pampered… Garage kept… Okay so it’s silver but with not nearly as much bone-breaking horsepower under her manicured carbon hood as the Brutal 10. #1900 was kept within the guidelines of her extended warranty for as long as possible but her damn tranny took a dump anyway. The only track action she’s seen was in ’08 for like 2 runs. I just don’t get it. Some break under easier conditions than others. I’ve seen loads of 10’s getting the butter bean beat out’ve them and they seem to want more. They’re still going strong. Could it be true that they just get used to how they’re handled? I wasn’t beating on mine when 5th and 6th gears seemed to have vanished on the interstate at 110+ mph. Yeah she’s running again but I think many would agree that after a tranny has been changed that the vehicle will never feel or be the same again. She looks and sounds fantastic now but, :dontknow: somehow, she feels more fragile than ever before. By the way this was more of a rant than anything else… As the title suggests.

Last edited:
She is no more fragile, or shouldn't be if built properly.
Don't be scared man, Drive it.
I however do agree, the quality on these trucks is all over the place.

unless your loose rearend caused the prob. a 5th/6th gear failure would have to be a parts prob. IMVHO

and it is my personal belief/observation that it is harder on a vehicle/machine to set than to be run regularly, hard or not

well...like mine, for instance,...

91k miles...been pulling a trailer since 15k miles...

been at the track more times then i can count...

panama twice...the last time, no lift shifting every time i raced, and didn't miss a gear once (i've been practicing;))

STILL have the original clutch:D

my first "problem" was in August...the PS pump failed...but that was at 89K or so, and was the first thing that's failed on it (except the oil lines, ps lines...)

Mine is an 04 numbered in the 800's. Hopefully that is a good thing. No problems so far except for the well known master/slave and oil lines, and now the recirculate door. No motor or trans issues.

The problem is, the shift forks are plastic tipped. Well guess what, the plastic wears away, and then you can't find the gear. So you have to have the transmission rebuilt with better forks.
I have 22,000 miles on my truck, and it won't go into 6th, now how it the hell did I abuse 6th, in 22,000 miles? And I have talked to other owners that have had the same problem. It's the plastic shift forks. If there are adjusted right, not much wear, if they aren't, look out!

Bill.

wesalbert said:
She is no more fragile, or shouldn't be if built properly.
Don't be scared man, Drive it.
I however do agree, the quality on these trucks is all over the place.
:dito: :dito: :dito: :dito: :dito:

i belive in the gets used to the way u drive it story. plastic on the shift forks sucks upgrade to bronze fixs that problem.3 mtrs thats my fault sc stock mtrs=about 6000 miles each. drive it like u stole it.cant help it.

I agree that no two are the same. Mine I had the trans rebuild (previous owner power shifting) 1/2 gears and synchros. My truck with the roe and all the mods is down about 60-80rwhp and Sean Roe and I couldn't figure ou why. Till you take a look at my engine all cylinders except for 2 measure a cylinder bore of 4.018". This is where I'm at now rebuilding, to the same specs as 2 of the trucks he has done. They both pulled 714/715rwhp and 755rwtq on 10#s, The most I've ever made was 507rwhp on 5-6#s

Hot rods break if you hot rod them....just the name of the game. Doesn't matter how good you are at shifting, etc - just the high stress. Otherwise why would there be so many support crews at racing events? Even the top builds break under pressure....the ones that don't are rare and prized. Kinda like a vintage guitar or violin...some of them get sweeter, some don't and the sweet ones or their particular construction are highly prized.

I've got a 97 F150 with 220K on it....alternator, tires, brakes, shocks and fluids are all I've ever done to it, can't get rid of it because it just keeps doing it's job. Doesn't smoke or use any oil. Regular maintenance. How many Found On The Road Dead's like that do you know of? So, I just kept it.

So much for philosophy.....but you can't baby it around, then take it to the track and drive the piss out it and expect it not to complain. Drive it like you are gonna always drive it. Just my 2cents, and worth nothing.

ZCx said:
and it is my personal belief/observation that it is harder on a vehicle/machine to set than to be run regularly, hard or not

I totally agree !!!! I have a neighbor with a 2000 Ford F-250 with a V-10 that sits in the yard and only gets driven about twice a year.He just can't figure out why it won't run right :dontknow: :D

Glad to see your back up and running.......Just what the heck does this mean?
" the butter bean beat out’ve them ".......:p butter bean? Man, I'm in trouble. Mine sits in the garage, and, when I do take it out, runs GREAT!.

its a southern thang:rock: :rock: :rock:

means, drive it like you stole it:rock: :rock: :rock:

man, some butter beans & corn bread would hit the spot right

Drive and treat it like crap, and don't grip when it goes down, needs tires, and a clutch.

I remember when I first joined VTCOA, members were telling otheres that the clutch only last 3000, and tires at 6,000. I was concerned thinking that the SRT 10 was a high maintenance vechicle over the long run.

I am going on 20K and still have orginal brakes, tires, and clutch.

I have drilled a small hole in the top of all my ball joints so I can grease them. They don't put them in so we will bring them back when they wear out after 3 years and your warranty is out.

ZCx said:
its a southern thang:rock: :rock: :rock:

means, drive it like you stole it:rock: :rock: :rock:

man, some butter beans & corn bread would hit the spot right
Boy, do I have a lot to learn.:D Thanks and a very Merry Christmas to you.

iraqivet01 said:
Drive and treat it like crap, and don't grip when it goes down, needs tires, and a clutch.

I remember when I first joined VTCOA, members were telling otheres that the clutch only last 3000, and tires at 6,000. I was concerned thinking that the SRT 10 was a high maintenance vechicle over the long run.

I am going on 20K and still have orginal brakes, tires, and clutch.

I have drilled a small hole in the top of all my ball joints so I can grease them. They don't put them in so we will bring them back when they wear out after 3 years and your warranty is out.

So you drive and treat your truck like shit???

I have put 20xxx miles on my truck never at track, never raced from a light never really hard on it. And no real problems at all.

Only problem was the slave that went out.

To each their own cause they ain't my trucks but... I would never tear my truck up and abuse it all the time. It all sounds great with all of this advise intill the day comes it dont run no more then drive it like you stole it seems like a bad mistake :)

things just happen few years back person bought a new toyota celica and with 14 miles on it, motor spun a bearing and toasted it, just nature of the game I guess.

I look at it like this, If i beat the shit out of my girlfriend all the time how long is she going to stay with me :tee:

viperhauler said:
i don't know...how kinky is she? :dontknow: :rock:

LOL well well I could tell some stories. Maybe another place another time :tee:

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back