NYC schools to close for Muslim holidays

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, and Debates' started by Skypilot68, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Skypilot68

Skypilot68 Full Access Member

New York’s progressive new mayor is shunning the St. Patrick's Day Parade but embracing Eid al-Fitr — Bill De Blasio's office announced this week that public school will be soon shuttered for Muslim holidays and the Chinese New Year.

Although the mayor hasn’t addressed Diwali, the Hindu festival of lights which is also hugely popular among the city's large South Asian population, he did acknowledge the gradual nature of his plans for the Muslim holy days, Eid al-Fitr and Eid al-Adha and the Chinese New Year.

“The goal is to get there. I've said repeatedly —it will take time, it is complicated in terms of logistics of school calendar and budget, but it's something I want to get done in a reasonable time frame,â€￾ he said Monday while on WNYC radio's The Brian Lehrer Show.

Muslim groups like the New York chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations applauded the plans.

2. VenomTruck

VenomTruck Full Access Member

As an American, I have no problem with this. America is the worlds country. Anybody and everybody are welcome. Muslims are not the problem....terrorist are the fucking problem. I know quite a few Muslims who are the most peaceful people on earth and hate terrorist just as much a I do. It's the bad apples that ruin it for the whole bunch, and also the way the media forces the "we must hate Islam" bullshit into our homes day by day. Remember how many people died in the name of Christianity...holy wars are nothing new. Being tolerant of another peoples religion is what America is all about. Also, ask a Native American Indian what they think about modern America. We shouldn't always feel so entitled because technically, this isn't even our land. We took it.

3. Wastelands Warrior

Wastelands Warrior Full Access Member

I have no prob with anything that was said above, but one thing that burns my ass about holidays is how Veteran's day isn't a cast in stone holiday. My company doesn't honor it, but I always take it off anyways. I'm a vet, and I want to salute all my brothers in arms on that day.

4. VenomTruck

VenomTruck Full Access Member

My company does not recognize Veterans Day either. I found it odd that they didn't even recognize those who served, which is about half of us. Nothing. Sometimes people forget what's really going on when all they see is dollars.