# of bad 48RE transmissions

bclark05

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a post that I started for my wife, she wanted to know how many of us with the auto's have had transmission failures. Because today I just ordered my custom built 48RE and triple disc torque converter from ATF.:burnout: My tranny broke, and she wants to know why it had to be upgraded so much. Just want to hear how many others on here have had problems also.:dontknow: Just a little poll Y/N thanks

05's had bands problems fom the factory. most 06's were ok, but once you go FI you can kiss that thing good by.

Assure your wife you made a wise decision and a necessary one.

I did not have a transmission failure but surely would have had I not recognized problems with it. I had a trans replaced under warranty then had it upgraded with an aftermarket valve body, shift lever, heavier front band strut, billet accumulator, and a new set of clutches when I started to notice some of the same issues coming back.

First trans, missing spring on accumulator. Result, smoked clutches and burnt steel bands. All kinds of debris in trans. Symptoms, delayed (hang) on 2-3 upshift. Would not chirp 1-2 anymore. Why, slipping. Clutches and steels were repaired but the valve body that was put in as a replacement was a piece of pooh. Tech condemned the trans b/c he was fearful it had suffered other damage from all the debris. I feel the valve body was the culprit but was not going to argue with a new trans instead.

Second trans. Started to notice hang on 2-3 again. Decided to contact HTS Transmissions and got above parts. Dealer agreed to install the parts and with 4K on new trans front clutches were smoked already when it was pulled apart. Why? Valve body pressure issues cause timing problems on shifts. Upgraded valve body with higher line pressure (plus other parts) helps keep trans from slipping on shifts. A shift at around 6K with over 500 ft/lbs of torque does not do good things to clutches when it slides into gear. This is pretty much the case with the factory valve body.

My opinion on the torque management that is part of the factory tune is that it is an attempt to mask this problem with the 48RE. By cutting timing they were attempting to minimize the torque being applied to the trans under WOT. Putting tunes in that removed the torque management just made the failures happen sooner. I feel it would have happen regardless on most transmissions. I am sure some got lucky and got a good valve body but most did not, hence the problems we see in the autos.

This was my experience and opinions with the trans. I am very pleased with how it shifts now with the new parts. The shifts are hard and fast. Just hope it lasts. Only time will tell.

Hope this helps...

bclark05 said:
This is a post that I started for my wife, she wanted to know how many of us with the auto's have had transmission failures. Because today I just ordered my custom built 48RE and triple disc torque converter from ATF.:burnout: My tranny broke, and she wants to know why it had to be upgraded so much. Just want to hear how many others on here have had problems also.:dontknow: Just a little poll Y/N thanks

Mine just started "gear searching" . I also just added nitrous... :dontknow:
It's going into the shop as soon as my upgrades get here.

What is your atf running ($)?

no real issues here with my tranny but i only have 35k miles on it and its an 05

I've had 4.

You made a good choice.

I'm getting my company truck that I gave back to the company, back. And I'll be saving for a house and a HTS transmission.

Mine went out 3 times dealer fixed it under warranty and it just started gear searching and acting All funny again. No more warranty time to save$$

SlvrSnake said:
Assure your wife you made a wise decision and a necessary one.

I did not have a transmission failure but surely would have had I not recognized problems with it. I had a trans replaced under warranty then had it upgraded with an aftermarket valve body, shift lever, heavier front band strut, billet accumulator, and a new set of clutches when I started to notice some of the same issues coming back.

First trans, missing spring on accumulator. Result, smoked clutches and burnt steel bands. All kinds of debris in trans. Symptoms, delayed (hang) on 2-3 upshift. Would not chirp 1-2 anymore. Why, slipping. Clutches and steels were repaired but the valve body that was put in as a replacement was a piece of pooh. Tech condemned the trans b/c he was fearful it had suffered other damage from all the debris. I feel the valve body was the culprit but was not going to argue with a new trans instead.

Second trans. Started to notice hang on 2-3 again. Decided to contact HTS Transmissions and got above parts. Dealer agreed to install the parts and with 4K on new trans front clutches were smoked already when it was pulled apart. Why? Valve body pressure issues cause timing problems on shifts. Upgraded valve body with higher line pressure (plus other parts) helps keep trans from slipping on shifts. A shift at around 6K with over 500 ft/lbs of torque does not do good things to clutches when it slides into gear. This is pretty much the case with the factory valve body.

My opinion on the torque management that is part of the factory tune is that it is an attempt to mask this problem with the 48RE. By cutting timing they were attempting to minimize the torque being applied to the trans under WOT. Putting tunes in that removed the torque management just made the failures happen sooner. I feel it would have happen regardless on most transmissions. I am sure some got lucky and got a good valve body but most did not, hence the problems we see in the autos.

This was my experience and opinions with the trans. I am very pleased with how it shifts now with the new parts. The shifts are hard and fast. Just hope it lasts. Only time will tell.

Hope this helps...

I am going the same route,I now have all my tranny parts from Dusty- HTS transmissions and will be running them with my new build and ROE!!:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

Just a FYI. If you are out of your 3/36000 mile warranty. You can still buy the factory warranty up to 4/48000.

bclark05 said:
Oh shit!!! Just keep her away from my wife. We gotta figure out a way to block the wives form being able to log on. :)

SANTEEN said:
Oh shit!!! Just keep her away from my wife. We gotta figure out a way to block the wives form being able to log on. :)

But 1st check the secret zipper pocket in your wife's purse...

You'll first have to steal your balls back so you can think clearly... Then you can come up with something...
:p:D

The Itch said:
Mine just started "gear searching" . I also just added nitrous... :dontknow:
It's going into the shop as soon as my upgrades get here.

What is your atf running ($)?

The tranny was about $2600, and the triple disc converter was $1100. Not bad for the piece of mind hopfully.

SANTEEN said:

O yes, she loves it when I get on here, she says that every time I get on here I spend $$$$$, I tell her that I am learning. She doesn't fall for it:D :D

bclark05 said:
O yes, she loves it when I get on here, she says that every time I get on here I spend $$$$$, I tell her that I am learning. She doesn't fall for it:D :D

Try asking her this the next time you guys bicker or fight about anythig: " So when was this all about you" ?

Let us know how it goes.
:D

noid said:
Try asking her this the next time you guys bicker or fight about anythig: " So when was this all about you" ?

Let us know how it goes.
:D
He's a dead man. :evil: :fight:

Twice under warranty 3600 miles-13000 miles I now have 19000 miles and no warranty they used a lot of cheap parts in these transmissions no quality control on valve bodies, dime store clutches, and bands imo

bclark05 said:
You know i have....you just bought that tranny from the people that did mine.....You are going to be very happy with it, guys there are top notch class A people:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: Congrats!!!

kickinassrt-10 said:
You know i have....you just bought that tranny from the people that did mine.....You are going to be very happy with it, guys there are top notch class A people:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: Congrats!!!

This is what I am hopeing to say also. The guy I talked to was Jay, they all seem like great peaple to deal with. They had a core from another tranny that they have been waitting for money on for awhile, because I am on the VTCOA, he wants to help us out he said. So with the payment he will start on that core for me. It sould be on a truck on its way on Monday they said.:rock:

Yea Jay is a cool guy also....Jason will most likely be building it....i bet you can't wait, I know I couldn't! I'm local so if you have anything to relay to them (that is out of your reach) you can just give me a shout....lol

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back