Paint Scratches

SHU-DOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Moved to Reno NV from Southrn Calfornia
Nice story.

I went on a motorcycle ride yesterday. Great day, clear, mild temps, nice twisties, food and friends. Feeling good til I get home.

In the driveway(dirt) i see my brothers twin girls(5) playing in the driveway(dirt/sand/gravel). It seems they are making sand castles and gettin each other dirty. Ahh kids. So I laugh with them and help clean them off.

I didn't reallize at the the time that my truck was behind where they were playin. There was my brother suburban right there. Well low and behold they were making sandcastles with MY TRUCK. They ended up polishing my driver side door. NICE. So i clean it off and there are about 20 scratches about 4"-8" in length. I do not think they are all the way through the paint.

SOOOO-What have you guys used to get them out?

Has anyone used the CLAY BAR?

I do not want to end up with buffer/polishing swirls as I have a black truck. They show everything.

Thanks Kevin

I haven't had to get scratches out (yet). However, I have been very liberal with waxing (and clear coat) my truck. My boys like to throw mud pies and they end up on the truck. So far prevention has been working some what for me. Not that it helps you now.:eek:

Attachments

• mudpies.JPG
    mudpies.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 58
Kevin I have a very tight garage and actually have to fold one mirror in to fit into it. Well when the truck was new I totally blew it and scraped the drivers front fasia against the door frame. I freaked out......... then applied Maguiers Cleaner wax and boy did it work miracles. Even with my black paint I can hardly find the scratches now. I would give it a try. Good luck.

patrick

i use a 3M product called "clear coat polish" and use a RANDOM orbital polisher to apply it. it works wonders for the scratches on my black truck!

Bone said:
I haven't had to get scratches out (yet). However, I have been very liberal with waxing (and clear coat) my truck. My boys like to throw mud pies and they end up on the truck. So far prevention has been working some what for me. Not that it helps you now.:eek:
Prevention???:dontknow: - How come you got them little ones then :p

And they are quite the indoor paint artists ... :D :star:

SHU-DOG said:
Nice story.

I went on a motorcycle ride yesterday. Great day, clear, mild temps, nice twisties, food and friends. Feeling good til I get home.

In the driveway(dirt) i see my brothers twin girls(5) playing in the driveway(dirt/sand/gravel). It seems they are making sand castles and gettin each other dirty. Ahh kids. So I laugh with them and help clean them off.

I didn't reallize at the the time that my truck was behind where they were playin. There was my brother suburban right there. Well low and behold they were making sandcastles with MY TRUCK. They ended up polishing my driver side door. NICE. So i clean it off and there are about 20 scratches about 4"-8" in length. I do not think they are all the way through the paint.

SOOOO-What have you guys used to get them out?

Has anyone used the CLAY BAR?

I do not want to end up with buffer/polishing swirls as I have a black truck. They show everything.

Thanks Kevin
That sucks!!:( - Good luck and let us know how it comes out ... :)

TheSickness said:
Kevin....Ask Silverback ! He clay bars on a regular basis.....His truck is always perfect :D
Shit I thought he clay barred that other thing he has :D

Wifey said:
Shit I thought he clay barred that other thing he has :D
This comment may become a thread on its own merits...

My addition..."its not a big thing" is it Silverback???!

The Claybar is used more for cleaning and will not get rid of scratches. Once the claybar has been done you will need a paint polish to smooth out the surface then wax that out.

Zymol makes a product called HD Cleanse which is terrific for this - I use it on my black Durango and black Corvette. It is kind of like a polishing compount, but with such fine polishing media that it feels completely like a liquid. Obviously it takes a lot more time and elbow grease to use because the polish is so mild, but it also doesn't mark the vehicle at all (assuming your cloth itself is not abrasive - I use 3M microfiber polishing clothes).

Good luck!

I've had pretty good results with Meguiar's Scratch-X on the rear door of my Black Yukon. http://www.autogeek.net/megscratxfin.html

It had scratches where my son decided to be helpful and use a gas-station windshield squeege on the rear door which was covered with a layer of dry salt and dirt after a 700 mile commute into the NY winter.

After getting home and doing a proper wash, tons of scratches were plainly visible. After the first application of Meguiar's Scratch-X, it was far less noticeable. Over the past year and a half I have applied it two more times and you can hardly tell there was ever any scratches.

Claybar is for contaminants not scratches -- stuff like paint overspray, treesap, other surface contaminants.

Some custom painters I know say light scratches can be removed with any scratch remover safe for clear coat paints -- ie, Maguiers makes one in a black tube that works wonders. NuFinish makes another.

DO NOT USE Dupont white or red

Hope this helps

ciao

OK Thanks

OK it seems a light very mild polish/scratch remover should work. I will check with the custom auto guys around to make a final descision. But I have used 3M/McGuires/Zymoil. I think the Zymoil was a bluish color? It was the most expensive but pretty nice.

Thanks for the input.

Hey Mas waz up. What is new with the truck. I assume you now have a supercharger and who knows what else. You always are sneakin around with new shit and not tellin. Fess up.

Later.

Hey Kevin, hope everything is cool in Reno mang :rock:

I use Meguires Polish then Carnuba wax to get rid of minor scratches, works very well IMO.

BTW are you aware of the West Coast get-to-gether? Not sure if you are coming. Take care bro.

RedRamRules said:
Hey Kevin, hope everything is cool in Reno mang :rock:

I use Meguires Polish then Carnuba wax to get rid of minor scratches, works very well IMO.

BTW are you aware of the West Coast get-to-gether? Not sure if you are coming. Take care bro.

I will have to see how things are going. I think you all are going to Bakersfield around the middle of Sept right? I will check the thread again.

Reno is much better than I even thought it might be. The ladies are treatin me like the new toy in town. I hope it lasts.

Other than that enjoying it.

Kevin

GriMacE 06QuadSRT10 said:
Claybar is for contaminants not scratches -- stuff like paint overspray, treesap, other surface contaminants.
ciao
This is true.... clay-bar will only serve to inhance the scratches.

Quick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back