Parasitic Battery Drain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by YellowFever88, Sep 9, 2019.

1. YellowFever88

YellowFever88 New Member

My truck wouldn't start yesterday. Got a new battery installed, alternator is charging well. I had starting trouble with the new battery this morning, and don't know what to do to find the drain. Any suggestions?

Nothing is plugged into the chargers/cigar lighter. All lights are off, accessories are off.

2. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Hook a multimeter to the negative post and remove fuses one at a time until the voltage drops.

VIPR PWR likes this.
  3. VIPR PWR

VIPR PWR Full Access Member

All newer vehicles have some sort of parisitic drain over time sitting will drain Down the battery .... another thing is how much you drive it ... quick short trips up the road to a quick stop and home will tend to not let the battery charge fully .. take the scenic route and run it longer ...
    other than that do Ronnie’s suggestion

Check the underhood light with the hood closed ...

4. Silver05

Silver05 Full Access Member

Do you have an amp or capacitor drawing ?

5. VIPR PWR

VIPR PWR Full Access Member

As my luck will have it ..Today I went out to start the truck for a grcery run and click click click it went .. good thing I have a battery charger ... the battery was replaced about 4 months ago . This is the second time in a month that this has happened . I drove to advance auto parts to have them run their tests again .. guy told me everything was working and he could not warranty the battery unless the test showed it was bad .. I talked to the manager and said go ahead and put a new battery in it .. after I got home I used my volt meter to test it and see what the alternator was putting out .. battery read 12.5 volts , alternator at idle showed 13.8 volts with and without the a/c and radio on , ground leads were clean and tight . .. I did notice that the gauge on the dash was reading closer to 14 volts at idle . I did test the volts on the batter prior to charging it and it read 11.5 volts . The guy that tested it said all it needs is a charge .. same as the last time I had them test it .. makes no sense that everything is working within specs and the truck wouldn’t star twice now ... I see what happens in the next few days , weeks etc ... maybe even do a few more tests .
    My thought was that the battery has a slight short and was ready to go completely out in the near future ..
    I was also starting to have the radio sound not turn on when I started the truck again that I was saying in another thread .. the new battery went in and the radio fired up right away