Paxton for my Viper

JeffBoyette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a Paxton Novi2000 with an upgraded intercooler and water pump last week for my Viper. Ill take delivery tomorrow. Unfortunately, it has the paxton FMU with twin booster pumps I plan to use temporarily until I put 2 in the tank, swap injectors and have Torrie tune it. I was a bit nervous boosting it after years of horror stories on here but the other guys are saying being 2300 pounds lighter is a lot easier on the cars engines. They seem comfortable with 5-8 pounds and the owners are satisfied with that power being lighter. We will see. Its a disease.
Ill be installing it myself in my garage. Debating waiting to do it when I have a full exhaust to put on it, throttle body, clutch, and 3.55 gears, but not sure I can wait to install it another month.

No point in putting the Paxton on halfass, just wait till you have all the parts. Not sure how you come up with 2300lbs? Rc ram is about 5000, gen 3 viper is about it 3400?

No point in putting the Paxton on halfass, just wait till you have all the parts. Not sure how you come up with 2300lbs? Rc ram is about 5000, gen 3 viper is about it 3400?

I never considered a Paxton with upgraded intercooler and pump to be a half-assed kit. Sure, more power could be had with a fuel system, but for the stock pulley, the boost pumps and FMU is tested and adequate. Im sure it will be safe enough to enjoy for now. Hundreds of Rams and Vipers are running the kit as it comes out of the box, with no problems.

Your 04 may be that light, but my 06 was 5320 and my Viper is 3180 on the same scale. 2140 pounds difference in the RC. 2300 seems reasonable for the QC. Either way it is semantics. 1600 pounds lighter and their point is still valid... the engines survive better with boost on the car than they do the truck.

I never considered a Paxton with upgraded intercooler and pump to be a half-assed kit. Sure, more power could be had with a fuel system, but for the stock pulley, the boost pumps and FMU is tested and adequate. Im sure it will be safe enough to enjoy for now. Hundreds of Rams and Vipers are running the kit as it comes out of the box, with no problems.

Your 04 may be that light, but my 06 was 5320 and my Viper is 3180 on the same scale. 2140 pounds difference in the RC. 2300 seems reasonable for the QC. Either way it is semantics. 1600 pounds lighter and their point is still valid... the engines survive better with boost on the car than they do the truck.

think he was sayin, get all the parts together & doin it in one sittin:rock::rock::rock:

First gear takes me to 58 mph. 6th is pretty much useless. Even the annoying skip shift, puts you in 4th lugging at 600rpm. Ill put an eliminator on it until I can have it tuned out. A gear swap would make me shift like a normal car, but its got so much power as it is, it roast the tires already. Will have to see how it hooks up with 730whp before I do it. I read that rear end is a bitch to do a gear swap on. It has some wheel hop I didnt expect and I havent found any bushings or suspension upgrades. Hoping Woodhouse motor and trans mounts to help.

First gear takes me to 58 mph. 6th is pretty much useless. Even the annoying skip shift, puts you in 4th lugging at 600rpm. Ill put an eliminator on it until I can have it tuned out. A gear swap would make me shift like a normal car, but its got so much power as it is, it roast the tires already. Will have to see how it hooks up with 730whp before I do it. I read that rear end is a bitch to do a gear swap on. It has some wheel hop I didnt expect and I havent found any bushings or suspension upgrades. Hoping Woodhouse motor and trans mounts to help.

I'm going to say a prayer for you if you plan on having that much power on stock internals :angel:

I'm going to say a prayer for you if you plan on having that much power on stock internals :angel:

If it grenades, Ill have Tony build me a short block, and turn it up. No prayers needed. I didnt buy the car and plan this build without having an emergency fund ready for incidents or future upgrades :)

If it grenades, Ill have Tony build me a short block, and turn it up. No prayers needed. I didnt buy the car and plan this build without having an emergency fund ready for incidents or future upgrades :)

If I had $1 for every person that thought this way when modifying a car I'd have about $3.

If I had $1 for every person that thought this way when modifying a car I'd have about $3.

Before I even closed the deal on it, I had parts arriving in the mail. It was always my dream car and I knew when I got one I would supercharge it. I waited to get it until I could afford to do what I wanted to it, and not freak out if something didnt go as planned.

Bottom line up front, you'll still be happy just bolting on the supercharger now instead of waiting for all the parts.

Congrats!. I would suggest bolting on the supercharger and driving it first before swapping the gears. A lot of the guys on the car forum recommend running the stock 3.07 with the Paxton. For guys that want the extra seat of the pants 3.55's are great for N/A. At least wait until you've driven ther car supercharged to see if you will want more gear. The throttle body will be an easy install even if you have the supercharger bolted on. The exhaust won't get in the way of bolting on the supercharger.

I bought my 2003 4 years ago, already supercharged, stock internals, factory exhaust, with the base NOVI 2000 kit netted 648 WHP on a dynojet with a Heffner tune. I've put about 10k miles on it, track days and long trips without problems. Of course there's always time to install all the other stuff, headers, exhaust, throttle body, fuel system. I wouldn't wait, and wouldn't worry about grenading the engine. The cast pistons are good to around 700WHP.

Last edited:
Bottom line up front, you'll still be happy just bolting on the supercharger now instead of waiting for all the parts.

Congrats!. I would suggest bolting on the supercharger and driving it first before swapping the gears. A lot of the guys on the car forum recommend running the stock 3.07 with the Paxton. For guys that want the extra seat of the pants 3.55's are great for N/A. At least wait until you've driven ther car supercharged to see if you will want more gear. The throttle body will be an easy install even if you have the supercharger bolted on. The exhaust won't get in the way of bolting on the supercharger.

I bought my 2003 4 years ago, already supercharged, stock internals, factory exhaust, with the base NOVI 2000 kit netted 648 WHP on a dynojet with a Heffner tune. I've put about 10k miles on it, track days and long trips without problems. Of course there's always time to install all the other stuff, headers, exhaust, throttle body, fuel system. I wouldn't wait, and wouldn't worry about grenading the engine. The cast pistons are good to around 700WHP.
Ive read and written BLUF (bottom line up front) on several military emails this morning. Are you still running the boost pumps or did you do the fuel system?

Hey bro congrats on the car your going to love it! I installed Woodhouse motor mounts and trans mounts and love it! I have a 200shot now looking forward to boosting mine.

Last edited:
Ive read and written BLUF (bottom line up front) on several military emails this morning. Are you still running the boost pumps or did you do the fuel system?

The numbers I posted were on the dual externals. I've since swapped the Roe fuel system upgrade kit, 69lb injectors, 2 bar map sensor, and in tank dual walbros and Arrow Racing single blade throttle body. I was going to have Todd at A&C Performance tune it.

I'm in Afghanistan now. It was slow on the OPS floor so I jumped on NIPR when I last posted.

The numbers I posted were on the dual externals. I've since swapped the Roe fuel system upgrade kit, 69lb injectors, 2 bar map sensor, and in tank dual walbros and Arrow Racing single blade throttle body. I was going to have Todd at A&C Performance tune it.

I'm in Afghanistan now. It was slow on the OPS floor so I jumped on NIPR when I last posted.

After 6 years, I left Eglin AFB after a tour at Ali Al Salem and Camp Arifjan to work at JB Andrews in the GNOC alongside ANCS/AFGCS. Its funny how easy a servicemember can detect another servicemember.

A friend of mine was running the same setup I bought with the upgraded intercooler on a bone stock 2004 with similar mileage and was putting down 650 until he did your exact fuel system upgrade and Torrie from Unleashed tuned it to just over 700. It lasted for over 14k miles before he swapped it out in favor of twin turbos at 1400hp. Im optimistic with a full exhaust, catless mids and a little meth to keep it safe, 725 would be what im working with.

After 6 years, I left Eglin AFB after a tour at Ali Al Salem and Camp Arifjan to work at JB Andrews in the GNOC alongside ANCS/AFGCS. Its funny how easy a servicemember can detect another servicemember.

A friend of mine was running the same setup I bought with the upgraded intercooler on a bone stock 2004 with similar mileage and was putting down 650 until he did your exact fuel system upgrade and Torrie from Unleashed tuned it to just over 700. It lasted for over 14k miles before he swapped it out in favor of twin turbos at 1400hp. Im optimistic with a full exhaust, catless mids and a little meth to keep it safe, 725 would be what im working with.

I'm hoping to land somewhere around 750 once I'm tuned. I'm building a forged internals engine on the side, blower cam and Greg Good heads.
I'm originally from Crestview. 3 years at Monterey, 3 at Hickam, 4 at Wright Patterson where I separated. Been between Iraq and Afghanistan since 2010, looking forward to ending my deploying this Dec. I'm an ISR CM.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back