plasti dip

moparviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about plasti dipping my stock rims flat black. Anyone done this on their 10 and if so any advice or tips? And where can I pick some of the stuff up at?

Yes. I have plasti dipped rims:

733955_10152675105605790_1138226357_n.jpg

It is really easy to do. Go to Lowes or home depot, get about 3 or 4 cans. Clean your rims really good and put some plastic bags over your brakes. Spray about 4-5 light coats until the entire rim is covered. Let it dry. Take the bags off the brakes. Peel the excess plasti dip off the tire. Your done. Pretty durable stuff too. Ive had mine done for about 6 months now. When you encounter a curb and get a rash, just spray on more, its that easy. Stands up to high pressure washes and chemicals too. If you get tired of flat black, just spray some tire shine on and bam, nice and shiny. Best part is you can peel it right off whenever you want.

I plastidipped my second set of rime to use as winter set.
It is a great product to use and the outcome is very nice.
Only to downsides: it's expensive and not so easy to spray from a can.
To make it less expensive i spray painted the inside and back of the hart with regular black satin paint. I used plastidip only for the front side.
That way i managed to do 1 wheel with 1 can and a little (i used almost 5 cans for 4 wheels)
Then the spraying; the cans aren't that great; there is a lot of overspray. Although most overspray will vanish while drying. If you have access to a spray gun it might be worth a try.
Recently i've hit a curb stone. After removing the lose bits of plastidip carefully (because i didn't want to peel it all off) and dipping some new plastidip with a small brush the rash disappeared. Well you still can see some of the scratches under the paint but it is fairly good.

i plasti dipped my wheels lime green for a few days and then decided to peel it right off. I only used 1 can for 2 wheels. only down side is any dirt or water spots showed right threw. I'm sure black is easier.

I plastidipped my second set of rime to use as winter set.
It is a great product to use and the outcome is very nice.
Only to downsides: it's expensive and not so easy to spray from a can.
To make it less expensive i spray painted the inside and back of the hart with regular black satin paint. I used plastidip only for the front side.
That way i managed to do 1 wheel with 1 can and a little (i used almost 5 cans for 4 wheels)
Then the spraying; the cans aren't that great; there is a lot of overspray. Although most overspray will vanish while drying. If you have access to a spray gun it might be worth a try.
Recently i've hit a curb stone. After removing the lose bits of plastidip carefully (because i didn't want to peel it all off) and dipping some new plastidip with a small brush the rash disappeared. Well you still can see some of the scratches under the paint but it is fairly good.

Man Im not sure what you did here, but I spent like 20 bucks and did all 4 wheels with 3 cans and it came out perfect. :dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

After doing mine and recently peeling them I say AT LEAST 3-4 COATS! It doesn't peel well with 1 coat. That will be about 2-3 cans per rim FYI. Will be well worth the money and more durable when the morons at the tire shop screw with em.

After doing mine and recently peeling them I say AT LEAST 3-4 COATS! It doesn't peel well with 1 coat. That will be about 2-3 cans per rim FYI. Will be well worth the money and more durable when the morons at the tire shop screw with em.

They will destroy your dipped wheels

Yea its not hard, just practice on a bucket or something first and get used to it. Its like spraying bedliner.

Yea its not hard, just practice on a bucket or something first and get used to it. Its like spraying bedliner.

Speaking of spraying the bed liner..I think im gonna have to re do mine. Iv had power steering fluid and oil sitting in the back of it for some months now. I think it stained it. Im gonna try power washing it first

Speaking of spraying the bed liner..I think im gonna have to re do mine. Iv had power steering fluid and oil sitting in the back of it for some months now. I think it stained it. Im gonna try power washing it first

Spray some simple green on it first and make sure you dont spray that shit all over your paint!

Bro they make it in just about every color there is. You might wanna check out the hot pink tho :D

Hot pink on wheels is wrong...just wrong.

article-1161824-0064ABC200000578-181_468x251.jpg

Couple things. 1 I was kidding and 2 it really bothers me that somebody actually did that

keep us updated on the dip if you do it. I'd like to do a silver, or gray. If thats even a color they have.

Yeahh ill keep yall updated but it'll be about a month before it gets done cause the trucks off getting goodies done to it.

But does anyone know if you could do calipers too?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back