Powdercoating

Heres the deal on the wheels:
-Tires and valve stems have to be removed
-The wheels have to be shipped to me, they are probably 40#'s a piece
-The wheels are factory clearcoated (or painted/clearcoated for the machined wheels), so the clearcoat has to be stripped completely off before they can be coated. This is a very time consuming project to do it correctly and not either blast the aluminum until its wavy and coarse or use chemicals and a scraper and gouge the aluminum up.
-They have to be 100% free of the clearcoat and be smooth and scratch free, then they are prepped.
-Then they are coated, this is the easy part
-Then the cost of shipping them back to you
-Then getting new valve stems and your tires remounted and balanced.
After you add all of that up, its not cost effective to have them coated IMO. If you can find someone that does quality work and will do them cheap, more power to you, they are just way too time consuming for something like the $50 vipertek quoted. If I was quoted $50 to coat them, I wouldnt even consider going to that kind of place, because they are either working for $5 an hour or are cutting corners on something (no offense at all vipertek, I cant judge wheels I havent seen). I could coat a bare aluminum 22" wheel for that, but theres an easy 2-3 hours in each OEM wheel for stripping and prep time. This is the reason I chose to have mine painted, my truck had under 500 miles on it, and to take my wheels somewhere and have some goofball scratch them up on his tire machine, then all the stripping time, rebalancing, etc. it just wasnt worth it, plus I wanted a perfect match for the hood and wing paint. They are basecoat/clearcoated and dont have one single chip after 2K miles, and look perfect still. Powdercoat would be a more durable finish, and if you have bare wheels (or chrome wheels with good quality chrome on them) that you want coated, it isnt a problem, they turn out awesome. Sorry I cant be of more help,
Thanks,
Justin

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back