Power In on a SC

i have heard about 20-40+ horsepower on engine driven superchargers.
thats the biggest plus for turbos

mmm:confused:
Read the MB SLR needs 120 HP and a dragster top fuel up to 400 :stupido2: to power up the supercharger. (you get more in return of course :p )
1) this seems too much IMO but i'm not an expert:confused:
2) transferring 400 HP via a flat rubber belt !? No wonder why they snap so often. Isn't a chain distribution a better choice?

Floor said:
How much power does a SC (ROE, Paxton) take from the engine?
With the s/c it is not the loss of hp from the pulley drive (roe is minimal maybe 5-10 at the most likely less but in most s/c it is the parasitic loss of horse power IE to much heat but with the roe setup and the bugs he worked out that is very minimal with paxton I have never had one but IMO it is more of a tubo setup except instead of exhaust they use a pulley. Plus unless your getting heating issues the minimal loss of hp from it being pulley driven you will never notice it.

This one really depends. More Boost and CFM more HP is required to turn them. So the Paxton at 8psi moving 900CFM would use 30 HP. Increase boost to 15psi @ 1300cfm and you use 83HP.

"Boost X airflow divided by 229 gives AN ESTIMATE of the HP needed at 100% efficiency." Kinda quoted from Supercharged! by Corky Bell.

Last edited:
pokeytemplar said:
This one really depends. More Boost and CFM more HP is required to turn them. So the Paxton at 8psi moving 900CFM would use 30 HP. Increase boost to 15psi @ 1300cfm and you use 83HP.

"Boost X airflow divided by 229 gives AN ESTIMATE of the HP needed at 100% efficiency." Quoted from Supercharged! by Corky Bell.

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

So, the question is are you willing to give up 30 HP to get 200? Ummm, Yes!

pokeytemplar said:

"Boost X airflow divided by 229 gives AN ESTIMATE of the HP needed at 100% efficiency." Quoted from Supercharged! by Corky Bell.

...and a supercharger is 100% efficient when?

Never but all of the calculations for Belt efficiency (97%) and adiabatic efficiency (varies with SC) would have required me to write a small novel. Corky would get pissed if I stepped on his book sells!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back